Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daan_vb

Stars And Flight Level Monitoring

Hi Guys,

Just done my first flight and have a few observations/queries.

1) STAR - Does ATC randomly assign a STAR or a vector depending on a certain set of circamstances or should it always assign a STAR if on IFR and the last waypoint is the start of a STAR? I was issued vectors despite last waypoint being the start of a STAR?

2) SHould ATC monitor your position ie altitude and heading as I planned my Flight Level wrong so I flew what it should have been whereas ATC assigned me another altitude but I never got a warning about it

Dan H

Vox ATC will assign a procedure (SID or STAR) if 2 or more of your way points are part of the procedure, so if you set up a flight plan and without knowing it include 2 or more way points that are in a SID or STAR you are going to be assigned that procedure,...Surprise Surprise! On the other hand if you have your SID and STAR charts in front of you,you can intentionally place those way points in your plan  you will know just what Vox ATC will be telling you to do before making contact.

I use Flight Sim Commander for my planning and I will use as an example EGCC to EGKK.   I enter these two "way points" into FSC,and it draws a straight line between the two. I now click on SIDS /STARS, and see what is available,and with the wind more out of the east today,I select "LISTO 2Z"

as my departure,and ASTRA 2 B for the arrival. I set a cruise alt of 23000ft and  Gate 10, Save the plan as EGCCEGKK. and it goes direct to FSX flight plans. Now start FSX,load that flight plan and Vox will have all the info it needs and so will you, and when Vox says "Cleared to Gatwick vis Listo two zulu,  you will know what to do.

Bear in mind that Vox ATC will require you to fly over these way points,or at least very close to them, or you will hear them vector you ALL the way back {like a game of tag}  until you fly over it! Very time consuming ,so get them right.

Some times more than one procedure will use some of the same way points,so instead of getting the STAR you was expecting,you will be given a different one,but as long as you hit the "headpin" you should have time to re program the FMC to comply with Vox and avoid going back to do the "Flyover"

I have found Vox ATC to be very aware  of your assigned altitude so you should get a scolding if you deviate.

Also make sure that Vox Nav Data is set to the Level D Nav data in advanced settings.

Hope this helps you.

Dennis

Dennis Elliott

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm going to try this over the next few days. Many Thanks

Dan H

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

50%
    $12,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now