Sign in to follow this  
Kermit_70

N-Number In Virtual Cockpit?

Hello,

am I supposed to see the N number (tail number, I guess) anywhere in the virtual cockpit of my Bonanza F33A? I see a blank rectangle on top part of instrument panel, but nothing is written on it.

Any comment or advice on this? 

many thanks!

Nope.. not in mine either - and no place to add it that I can find.

There is a break in the textures, right down the middle of that placard

that you mention, so no easy way of adding text to it, unless you want to get really fancy

with Photoshop..

Bert

Hi Bert,

So how do you know/remember what is your N number to communicate with ATC? Where does FSX read his from? Can it be changed?

many thanks!

It is in the aircraft.cfg file and you can change it there.

atc_id=N5582Y for example..

Bert

Nope.. not in mine either - and no place to add it that I can find.

There is a break in the textures, right down the middle of that placard

that you mention, so no easy way of adding text to it, unless you want to get really fancy

with Photoshop..

About one year later.... Does anybody have a solution for this? Or at least some instructions on how/where/which file to use to manually add tail number in the VC?

I am certainly willing to do it with photoshop (I am good at it).

Thanks!

About one year later.... Does anybody have a solution for this? Or at least some instructions on how/where/which file to use to manually add tail number in the VC?

I am certainly willing to do it with photoshop (I am good at it).

Thanks!

Open the CARInterior_H.bmp file.

Below the three green gear lights, there is a black placard with a screw at either end.

Bert

A bit more detail:

Look for the bmp file in the Texture.Common folder

Open it (depending on paint program,  convert from DXT5 first)

Edit the bmp file, convert back to DXT5 format, and save it in the texture folder that corresponds to the variation you are identifying.

That way, you can have multiple bmp files for multiple paint jobs.

Bert

Thank you Bert,
I will certainly give it a try and report back on results.

Is there any major difference between DXT1 and DXT1?

I just downloaded DXTBMP DXT EXTENDED BITMAP EDITOR

I wonder if that little placard could be replaced with a gauge that does nothing more than display the tail number.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

actually, I believe this is what happens in the default FSX aircrafts...

It is certainly a good idea, but I have no idea how to implement it, unless this could simply be "copied" and transferred into The Bonanza VC? Not sure, really.

At this point, since the original placard was put by Carenado in between two textures, I was simply going to add a new one on the left side.

But a whole new gauge would be even better!

Do you want to give it a go?

Well, if there's a blank spot on the panel, I wonder if it's possible to insert a gauge that would display the variable.  So, somebody could set it in the dialog box and have it display on the dash.  I think that's what A2A does in their aircraft.  It's so simple and would be a small amount of code but it's dependent on whether the aircraft implementation would allow it.  I can't do it right now. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thank you Bert,

I will certainly give it a try and report back on results.

Is there any major difference between DXT1 and DXT1?

I just downloaded DXTBMP DXT EXTENDED BITMAP EDITOR

I use Aces imagetool.exe

Bert

Well, if there's a blank spot on the panel, I wonder if it's possible to insert a gauge that would display the variable. ......  It's so simple and would be a small amount of code but it's dependent on whether the aircraft implementation would allow it.

Correct, it depends on how Carenado built the panel.  I have not found a way.. but, give it a try! ^_^

Bert

Open the CARInterior_H.bmp file.

Below the three green gear lights, there is a black placard with a screw at either end.

That's it, this did it!

Many thanks, Bert. I just added the numbers on top of the the black placard (in photoshop as standard BMP), and then saved it back as Extended BMP DXT5 in the texture folder specific for the aircraft.

I actually made different placards for each of the repainted I have for the Bonanza, so I could put the actual tail number.

Solved! Thank you.