Sign in to follow this  
wizkid27147

Can My Current System (Dell Optiplex 755) Run Fsx Well?

Can my Dell OptiPlex 755 run FSX well on this config?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz

80 GB HD

Windows 7 pro X64

ATI Radeon HD 6450 2 GB

8 GB RAM (Maxed OUT!)

FSX SP2.

ADDONS THAT WILL BE USED:

PMDG 737 NGX

PMDG 747-400

Airbus X Extended

CS 777

CS 707

CLS 767

CLS 747

Milviz 737

FeelThere/Wilco 737

FlyTampa Kai Tak

FlyTampa Dubai Rebooted

FlyTampa St. Maarten

UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme

UK2000 Stansted Xtreme

PMDG BAe Jetstream 4100

QW 757

QW 146

Aerosim 787

NOTE: My Mobo can't OC.

I would just stick to the airplanes, so that everything can be run on ok settings. Do not expect super high fps, but it should be playable. I would start with an add-on like the NGX and see how how computer handles that. Then add more.

So the E8500 will work snowingairlines?

Hermann Fegelein

Of course I won't expect super high fps!

Your graphics card is very weak. Not a gaming card by any stretch. Depending on resolution you may get single digit FPS and/or little to no antialiasing

FSX will work on anything, it all depends on expectation.

On your system, I would have very very low expectation in the NGX at a UK2000 airport. You would probably have to set everything to low ish.

Will it run FSX well?  Sorry, but no, I think not, especially with some of the performance-hungry add-ons you have listed.  The combination of an ancient Wolfdale CPU running at stock speed, and an old GPU that was strictly economy class even when it was new are not going to be a recipe for success with FSX.  Back in 2008 I was running an overclocked duo-core Conroe at 3.2 GHz with a much stronger video card than the 6450--I ended up staying with FS9 because FSX performance on that machine was simply horrible. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

whats your budget?

Q9650 is ok, if u keep you expectations at bay and use a decent graphics card.

I used to have that chip and was able to run the Ngx just fine at payware airport.

Just don't throw anything more at it, like orbx or heavy weather add ons.

Outofphaze: You mean REX right?  dazz: Budget is $900.

My system is probably close to what you have, it's processor (E6850 3Ghz C2D) is actually the predecessor  to yours. I do agree, your GFX card is the weakest link, A Nvidia card would give you better results. I have  a GTX460. The later series would be better, Stay away from the GTX x50 cards, as they are similar to your ATI card. You can get an idea what you can get by watching some of my videos. Performance is not great compared to the higher end systems, but tolerable (For me). I also use 100%UT2 traffic, so without that I could get even better frames. I feel your pain about not being able to O'C, My system is a Dell XPS720!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

What I can tell you is that my former setup performed worse than this and that I was able to run one performance intensive addon at once (be it the NGX or something else). You shouldn't have too many issues unless you overdo it. Try it out with it all enabled, then reduce accordingly. Prioritize!

Using the Bojote tweaks selectively, along with an external frame rate limiter seems to be an effective method for maximizing performance of older hardware. This means simulation fluidity - not high fps. Over clocking the graphics board can also push more headroom. I added a second fan for a push/pull configuration for additional cooling. My CPU and GPU usage is typically running 70 to 90 percent (2.66C2D Dell OptiPlex745, Nvidia GT610).