Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

A2A Cessna 172?

Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting the A2A C172.  The reviews are solid and seems like a good airplane.  Thing is, I generally fly airplanes with at least a variable prop pitch.  (I wish A2A would do another single-engine GA...Mooney, C210 or something)  I'm a RW VFR PA28, C182 pilot...haven't flown for many years.  I fly the Dukes and the Flight1 Mustang in the sim.  So, I guess I would get it for sightseeing, practicing navigation, group flying, etc...perhaps remembering the basics.  Just looking for some advice from like-minded folks. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Um well it's fantastic

Sometimes a bit slow (I'd like something faster from A2A too Gregg) but its really really fun

Gregg,

The A2A C172 is much more than just a Cessna 172. It is all the other stuff that makes it so much more enjoyable than any other basic trainer type add on. The preflight inspection is really something new to FSX and is very well done. This one is just about as realistic as you could expect while flying in FSX. It is by the book or watch for problems and mechanical failures.

The Maintenance hangar is a fun thing and there are a lot of little things that you don't see in most other add ons.

Be sure to check the Avsim.com review - link in my signature box. Will this be your first A2A purchase?

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Um well it's fantastic

Thanks Lee.

Be sure to check the Avsim.com review - link in my signature box. Will this be your first A2A purchase?

Hi Ray,

I did read your review and it was one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting it.  As always, great review.  The price for this add-on is pretty steep (about on par with the Flight1 King Air) so it needs to have solid reviews. My only worry is getting bored with it.  It would be nice and practical if they would use this model as the basis for a C182 or C210.  Yeah, it would be my first A2a aircraft purchase.  I do have AccuFeel.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

To me the A2A 172 is a must have. Yes it is slow at times. The views out of the cockpit are very good though, and you can really soak up the scenery when flying arund.

I do not have a real PPL.

Flying in the 172 allows me to get a feel for how many real pilots have learned to fly.

With ASN, I also realize how the little 172 gets tossed around a lot!

B.

Hey guys,

I'm considering the ATA as well.

As far as maintenance stuff, and other RW implications, there's also this:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,6088350700,11977

It looks really nice, though I haven't seen any reviews. That said, I considered it, but trained in an Eclipse, so passed.

Gregg,

There is not a world of difference in the 172SP and the C182. True, no constant speed prop on the 172 but the A2A package has a power prop that can be switched in flight and the Tach changes with it for the correct rpm readout. Also some nifty things to add a couple of knots here and there.

Ray

There is not a world of difference in the 172SP and the C182. True, no constant speed prop on the 172 but the A2A package has a power prop that can be switched in flight and the Tach changes with it for the correct rpm readout. Also some nifty things to add a couple of knots here and there.

Isn't the A2A rendition the C172R? Though from what I know, the only difference of the SP is the different propeller (which you can switch to from the maintenance hangar).

Gregg maybe wait for their upcoming Piper Cherokee.

Might keep you interested because it's not a 172. It's in beta and I think could be released fairly soon

Gregg maybe wait for their upcoming Piper Cherokee.

That's interesting.  Any info?  We had a Cherokee Six at my flying club but I never flew it.

Gregg Seipp

That's interesting.  Any info?  We had a Cherokee Six at my flying club but I never flew it.

I flew the Six on several island charters when I was building hours. I remember it more as a bus. Choosing between a C210 and a Cherokee Six was not brain surgery.

I learned to fly in the Cessna camp and only moved over to Pipers for my multi in the Aztec.

Yes, absolutely correct. A2A C172 is an R model.

Ray

Choosing between a C210 and a Cherokee Six was not brain surgery.

Wellll...if it were me, I'd pick the 210 in the sim.  The RW airplane has a history of landing gear issues, if I remember, but I'm in the sim :).  Flying a PA28, which I did a lot, was immensely boring compared to Cessnas.

Gregg Seipp

Hey guys,

I'm considering the ATA as well.

As far as maintenance stuff, and other RW implications, there's also this:

http://www.aerosoft....088350700,11977

It looks really nice, though I haven't seen any reviews. That said, I considered it, but trained in an Eclipse, so passed.

Hmmm...what do folks recommend between the Katana and the A2A C172?

Gregg Seipp

I have both the Katana and the A2A C172 and I keep forgetting that I have the Katana on my hard drive.

I think a lot of the choices go back to primary training or first plane rides. I learned in Cessnas and have always owned real world Cessnas. Friends that learned in the Cherokee 140 tend to like the Pipers and low wing planes. Those that learned in the American Trainer are nuts over anything that looks like one.

The 210 gear problems were fixed early on, it was just the insurance rates went crazy when all the lawyers couldn't find jobs and they spent there time breaking the US general aviation market. Insurance for any high performance, retract for private use was sky high for low time pilots.

Take a look at some of the Alabeo products that are dirt cheap, look great and seem to fly better than average. Especially some of the bi-planes and classics. I am just starting research for a review.

Regards,

Ray