Sign in to follow this  
B736789

Auto step climb and step descent

Hi

I just wonder it for example I fly from an RVSM Country to CHINA and I need to step descend can I program the exact descent altitude and the fixes at which I want the plane to step automatically?

Amit 

I just wonder it for example I fly from an RVSM Country to CHINA and I need to step descend can I program the exact descent altitude and the fixes at which I want the plane to step automatically?

I imagine you could but it would be very complicated. You would need to know exactly how the AP works so that you could add fixes, altitudes/speed to your flight plan at the required locations. Plus you would need to dial your altitude on the MCP from cruise altitude to the ILS intercept altitude. Highly unrealistic.

I think you would need to be at your computer during the whole procedure to make sure nothing goes wrong which I think is too have the plane descent while you are not at the computer.

Yes.  At each fix you wish to climb, place an appropriate altitude restriction with S at the end.

Example - to step at LUNDY:

LUNDY                        [speed]/FL390S

(the scratchpad entry for this would be "/FL390S")

Kyle Rodgers

I mean making the plane step down lets say a 1000 feet due to airspace restriction

I mean making the plane step down lets say a 1000 feet due to airspace restriction

Then you'd put a restriction on the fix like normal.  That will create a T/D prior to the fix to begin a descent down to the new altitude.  From there, go back to the cruise page and add in your current altitude as the new cruise altitude.

The FMC was only built for so much.  If it's a special case like that, you have to work into how a normal flight would look.  It's a tool to assist you - not to run the flight.

Kyle Rodgers