Sign in to follow this  
tsa737

40+ inch LED TV as monitor in FSX

I looking into using a new (LG) LED TV larger than 40 inches as a monitor for my FSX  computer. Any input on using large screens for this use?

Thanks

rob

Heya Rob, 

There have been other threads on this, and most of them advise against. At best your 40" TV is going to be 1080p, and while that is good from 6-9 feet away when watching TV, the consensus is that you will be "pixelated" at the closer viewing distance while flying. I have a lowly 23" monitor running 1080p, and could not imagine blowing that up to 40" without having serious pixel issues. 

I myself am looking at the Dell 30" monitor, which is 2560 * 1600 pixels. That pixel density is higher than my 23" monitor and everyone says it looks fabulous. Of course, it is a wee bit more expensive than a 40" TV.

Go to a video store and plant your face 18-24" away from a 40" TV and see if you get pixelated or not. Some people don't seem to mind it, most do.

John

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I've been using a 42" HDTV as a monitor via HDMI for the past three years now. It is wall mounted and my seat places it ~40" from my eyepoint.

I see no 'pixelation' at all. B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I moved up from a 27" monitor to a 42" LED-TV a couple of months ago and I think it's great. I have it wall mounted as well and is sitting around 1 meter from it (3 feet) and it's working fine.

Regards

Johnny

Johnny Holmgren

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Same as n4gix above .. have an LG 42" HDTV via HDMI to FSX and have no issue with it at all. My eye is about 4.5ft from the screen.

I'm looking into 3x 42'' samsung LED TV in surround : is the refresh rate of the TV important. Older models have 400 MHz vs the new ones at 800 MHz?

I'm edging towards the new $700 Samsung 4K 28" monitor.

You might have to upgrade that GTX570.

My reading is that even the 780Ti just scrapes in when doing 4K.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Oh, if I do, it'll be after the not-even-out-yet next generation of i7 and GTX have been installed.

sig01.png

I use a 55" lg mounted on the wall. I sit maybe 5' from it, no pixelation at all. Its important to make sure whatever TV you buy has a "PC mode" that will bring down the refresh rate and cut off any "true motion" features. Without PC mode I had major vsync issues with a gtx780, PC mode is flawless though.

I just bought this tv the other day  http://www.dicksmith.com.au/tvs/dick-smith-40-full-hd-led-lcd-tv-dsau-ge6840

Got it for $348 which i thought was a bargain, first i used it with a vga cable into my ATI 5870, at 1080 x 1920 @ 60hz 

It looked very good i thought for vga , I then purchased a 1080p HDMI cable thinking it will look even better, To my surprise it was actually worse a lot worse than with vga, i tried all diffrent resolutions & setting though win 7 & catalyst control with no luck, it was more the smaller items like icons & text which looked bad. even in fsx, anyone know why HDMI isn't better than VGA, Could it be my 5870? it does have hdmi out on card??.

When putting a Blu ray though this tv it looks amazing especially for the price. Any advice would be great, sorry for jumping in on your thread tsa737.  

Cheers

Riche

I use a projector for a 100+" screen

attachment.php?attachmentid=8892&d=13956

As you can see, my measly 40" TV is right next to it.Projector is a BenQ W1080ST.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Hmm, I am more than happy to be corrected, but either there a lot of users of 42" TVs with bloody awful eyesight or my eyes must be super human! All I can ask is how can so many guys sit 3 or 4ft from a 42"TV and be unable to see the pixels?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have a 40inch Samsung TV set to PC mode. This isn't connected to my FS rig as I am on a Dell 24inch Monitor for that. I use the 40inch TV for gaming and watching blurays etc. No pixellation whatsover and games are smooth as silk. I sit around 4ft away on my sofa.

(currently playing Borderlands 1 with all settings max and runs waaay better than my PS3 version)

I use a 40" Samsung LED, I sit ~30" from it and the display & immersion is good.  I have extremely good graphics and fluidity when the display is not set to game mode.  The only drawback is the display is maxxed out at 1080p so I am looking forward to buying a 4K display when they are cheaper.  My only question is if a higher resolution will be recognized by my GPU.

\Robert Hamlich/