Sign in to follow this  
raziz

Vatsim or IVAO?

To be honest use both, I check the atc coverage on both networks before i fly, the one with the most controllers online wins. One is not better then the other, they just are a little different.

• Upvote 1

Being a novice at flying online, I have to say I understand the controllers a little better on Ivao as that uses Teamspeak.

I also prefer the Ivap client, it's simple and works great. The CSL aircraft model library for other online traffic is icing on the cake.

I suggest try both, and see which one you like best.

I eventually chose Vatsim because I liked it's culture and events better, but I'm in Australia, and the very active VATPAC division in VATSIM is the main reason I chose vatsim... basically Australia is far more active on VATSIM than IVAO.

Also, Worldflight is hosted on VATSIM, and I have attended 3 different worldflight simulator events, so most of the people I know from those events are Vatsimmers rather than IVAO people. 

All in all though, depending on where you like to fly, what you want to get out of the experience etc will determine which one you favour, so the best advice is: Try both, and then decide which one you like better...

or, use both on occasion.
  • Upvote 1

VATSIM ATC undergoes greater training, you get a better experience. Ask anyone who has ever controlled on VATSIM (that would include myself). I have never had a bad experience as a pilot with a controller who had training issues.

VATSIM is much more professional, has more North American pilots, whereas IVAO has more European pilots. 

I will always believe that they eventually need to merge again for the betterment of the online community. Two networks only divides us, giving everyone half as much traffic and controllers overall. The current situation is good for no one, but yes it is better than nothing.

Fly Navy

VATSIM for me. Like mentioned above, the professionalism is much greater than IVAO and that most likely has to do with the better training. More organized too.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

VATSIM ATC undergoes greater training, you get a better experience. Ask anyone who has ever controlled on VATSIM (that would include myself). I have never had a bad experience as a pilot with a controller who had training issues.

VATSIM is much more professional, has more North American pilots, whereas IVAO has more European pilots. 

I will always believe that they eventually need to merge again for the betterment of the online community. Two networks only divides us, giving everyone half as much traffic and controllers overall. The current situation is good for no one, but yes it is better than nothing.

1: I'm not sure where the myth IVAO has more europeans online. VATSIM has demonstrably more numbers in England, Germany, Scandinavia, The Czech Republic, Austria etc. IVAO might be able to lay claim to France, Italy, Spain and Romania, possibly even Russia... but it certainly isn't a simple "Europe = IVAO" divide.

I'm not sure merging will double the traffic, or merge both into one network. Some remain on IVAO exactly because of VATSIM's more stringent rules. So the options would be:

1: Loosing those people (And more problematic: Those people loosing access to an online community with less rules regarding being ATC).

2: Relaxing VATSIM's rules to accomodate them (meaning that VATSIM ATC quality potentially drops).

IVAO and SATCO split for a reason. The underlying actual reasons for the split have not disappeared, and would still be there at merge. Do you let the rule breakers or perpetual n00bs bring their IVAO habits into VATSIM? or do they just have to stop using Flight Simulators and ATC programs online? 

If you did that, they would probably break off and make their own network. They might even go ahead and call it IVAO.

Step 1: Merge VATSIM and IVAO

Step 2: Get annoyed at the low quality of IVAO controllers and pilots

Step 3: Ban the rule breakers

Step 4: Rule breakers get together and make their own online network because they have been banned from VATSIM

Step 5: Now there are 2 online networks again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have recently just tried both and I'm sticking with IVAO.

In the end it came down to crippling frame rates due to Squawkbox in VATSIM (yes I tried all the tweaks). Then I tried IVAO and their is no FPS drop at all! Very easy to set up their software and get going. The website and registering was the only pain for me as the website does not appear very clear....to me anyway.

I have seen no evidence of lack of professionalism in IVAO, in fact i've been on the receiving end of a few bollockings off controllers for minor errors myself :vava:. 

The quality of user displayed aircraft in IVAO completely smashes Vatsim too. 

looking at the Vatspy and IVAO web eye from time to time will show little difference in numbers or coverage, much of the time IVAO has much better coverage from what I can see.

It is a shame all this coverage is split on two networks tho.

In conclusion......join IVAO :good:

I fly in UK and Europe by the way.

I seriously don't get where the "ivao atc" sucks is from. I've seen plenty of twitch streams where the streamer flies on vatsim and I can't notice the diffrence between Ivao & vatsim, well except that everyone sounds like a robot on vatsim :D   

But the whole "competiton" thing is just childish, By all means have a favourite network but do not harass the other network if you don't have any solid proof, or actually keep it to yourself and let everyone love their network in peace.    One thing that you could take in to account is that Vatsim obviously "wins" if you want to fly in the US. USA is nearly always a wasteland on Ivao but there's the occasional atc online but I myself have never flown in the US on Ivao so I can't answer for the quality ;)

My suggestion is : Try both.   I originally started out with vatsim but the client was so messy so I switched to Ivao and haven't looked back ever since ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huge difference between how a VHF simulated transmission and a normal voice over teamspeak sounds like.

Vatsim offers more real world immersion both through the quality of the controllers and the sound of the radio traffic.

• Upvote 1

In the end it came down to crippling frame rates due to Squawkbox in VATSIM (yes I tried all the tweaks). Then I tried IVAO and their is no FPS drop at all! Very easy to set up their software and get going. The website and registering was the only pain for me as the website does not appear very clear....to me anyway.

A new pilot client for vatsim was released last night. It aims to be a very simple client, perhaps you'll have better results with it

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/

vatsim s3

1133704.png