Sign in to follow this  
raziz

Vatsim or IVAO?

I don't personality like IVAO's teamspeak communications. I prefer VATSIM, It just feels more realistic to me.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

If I fly exotic routes such as VNKT-VQPR - does it make sense to try either of VATSIM or IVAO or there is just no coverage there?

I would go to both and try them in the order of IVAO then VATSIM.  IVAO is a great network to get started on as the rules are less harsh and is more noob friendly.  Once you've mastered the basics on IVAO, then you can transition to VATSIM and up the realism.  Jumping straight into VATSIM is a bit intimidating. (I know I was when I started)

Hope this helps,

I would go to both and try them in the order of IVAO then VATSIM.  IVAO is a great network to get started on as the rules are less harsh and is more noob friendly.  Once you've mastered the basics on IVAO, then you can transition to VATSIM and up the realism.  Jumping straight into VATSIM is a bit intimidating. (I know I was when I started)

Hope this helps,

I wouldn't call Intimadting VATSIM. About 10 years ago I had my maiden flight online and Vatsim controller where very patient and helpful.

Now after 10 years experience with Vatsim I see that newbye are always helped by the controller both on voice than in text for those that feel still unconfortable or are not English speakers.

I tried IVAO too several years ago but than I found VATSIM to be more realistic and professional.

I usually fly Scandinavia and central Europe and coverage is quite good.

Someone complains about transoceanic flights coverage...Never made one, I admit it but simply because I don't see what's the fun to sit in front of a monitor for 8-9 hours waiting to report position...

Try a Transoceanic in the Concorde, You'll have lots to do the whole 3+hr trip.

I've tried IVAO once, and that was enough, I'm approaching my 7000th hr on VATSIM and plan on many more hours to come. 

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

I can't say which one is better or worse because I've only tried IVAOand I've liked it so far. 

I don't quite yet understand the argument IVAO ATC is not very professional. Rubbish! While it's true that any controller can log in to IVAO on a TWR or GND frequency, there are theoretical and practical exams you need to pass in order to control the APP and CTR frequencies. And the ATC has sounded very professional to me at IVAO. Yes, IVAO doesn't support (yet) VHF simulation as it uses TeamSpeak 2 for radio communications, but that doesn't matter to me.

Something that is definitely better on IVAO is the quality of the AI traffic. It's simple, IVAO wins over VATSIM on this.

The last point I'd probably like to mention is coverage and events. Again, I can't speak about VATSIM because I've never used it, but I mostly fly in Colombia, Brazil, and Europe. IVAO has good coverage in these areas. Of course, there will always be far less ATC and traffic if its working time where you want to fly, but in the off-work hours and Sundays, there are plenty of options for me to fly.

However, if you mostly fly in the USA, go with VATSIM. IVAO is starting to get a grip on the USA, but VATSIM is still far more popular over there.

IVAO has a lot of events. There are at least one or two events per weekoften, there are three or four, or even five! Most of them are held during the weekends, as this is the time when most people have spare time for flight simulation. I don't know about VATSIM events, so I can't speak about them.

_________

Well, this is my opinion about IVAO. I decided to give it a try and I've enjoyed it a lot! 

Someone complains about transoceanic flights coverage...Never made one, I admit it but simply because I don't see what's the fun to sit in front of a monitor for 8-9 hours waiting to report position...

The same thing at this end. Most of the fun part of flying occurs close to the airports, so I don't like doing flights longer than 3 hours ETE.

Honestly if you want the AI traffic from IVAO then just look up how to do it for VATSIM. You can have the best of both worlds, and just choose what you like best. As others have said try both and see what you like.

The AI is fairly easy to set up for Vatsim if you use vPilot. On the other hand it is far easier to understand the Ivao controllers due to the superior audio. Even with VHF simulation off I often have a hard time understanding the exchanges on Vatsim, they really need to update that side of things. At this point someone usually chimes in and says that real VHF is not always so good, but when you're already struggling to hear garbled instructions and you get one of those controller's who speaks unnecessarily fast because he thinks it sounds cool, it can become quite a frustrating exercise (yes I know it can get busy but this is pretend flying).

Don't get bogged down with choosing between the two and the mentality of knocking the other network because  you have only chosen one.

IVAO or VATSIM.....choose both and get more coverage, more choice.

Forget the old wives tale of Vatsim being unfriendly and IVAO being less professional...they are near enough identical

There should really be one online network, but unfortunately old arguments going back a decade or more have kept the split networks.

Online simming  in my opinion is a must do for simmers and racks the immersion up like nothing else, all simmers should join Ivao and Vatsim and see for themselves , its all free and by choosing both you get a sort of full world ATC instead of half

Is it ok to have both comms clients installed at the same time or does this cause issues?

Teamspeak is the better for audio, but having both clients installed does not cause issues 

Teamspeak is the better for audio, but having both clients installed does not cause issues 

Agree. The controllers and pilots on VATSIM sound like they have their mics stuck down their throats. ATC in the real world does not sound perfect but definitely doesn't sound as bad as VATSIM.

Here's Heathrow 

And Here's JFK

Completely different to what you'd here on VATSIM

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

Agree. The controllers and pilots on VATSIM sound like they have their mics stuck down their throats. ATC in the real world does not sound perfect but definitely doesn't sound as bad as VATSIM.

Absolutely agreed. I'm always pulling my hair out when people say Vatsim sounds realistic. Just no.

That said, I prefer Vatsim. IVAO is pretty much non-existent in North America. For simplicity's sake I also just like sticking with one network.

Absolutely agreed. I'm always pulling my hair out when people say Vatsim sounds realistic. Just no.

That said, I prefer Vatsim. IVAO is pretty much non-existent in North America. For simplicity's sake I also just like sticking with one network.

Definitely. I have over 700 hours on VATSIM and just over 300 on IVAO. I've decided to stick with VATSIM. I have nothing against IVAO. It's just that there isn't enough coverage and traffic over the Atlantic and North America. 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre