Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

A couple of quick shots of the WXR

Evening Folks!

On a test flight from LOWW-OMDB earlier today I took the following shots. On reflection (pardon the pun!), they show the WXR doing its everyday thing rather effectively, so I thought I'd share them here.

Up until now, night flying with live weather has necessarily required the PIC to visually avoid areas of bad weather and/or turbulence. If - like me - you use an ENB-series or SweetFX type filter to enhance the darkness, this is near on impossible. I'm sure many of you are like me in that ploughing into a thunderstorm detracts from the experience somewhat. You wouldn't do it in a real 777 after all!

Remember, these are shots from a beta, subject to change/improvement/etc.

Somewhere over Iraq I started seeing returns off to the left of track. Over the course of 5 minutes or so it became apparent that the storm line was likely to intercept my track a bit further downroute. As I got closer, I started seeing strikes out front.

fb2014-4-27_17-15-6-275.jpg

By the time I was approaching DENKI, there was a particularly active cell very close to track.

fb2014-4-27_17-22-35-809.jpg

I commenced a step climb a little early just to see if I could get above it. The moment the nose pitched up, the return diminished as the WXR scanned further up the cell, from this I deduced that I was probably very near to the height of the top of the cell itself.

fb2014-4-27_17-23-51-60.jpg

By the time I leveled at FL390, the cell had disappeared from the returns and I was able to carry on without a track offset. A quick glance out the left showed the cell still popping away, but now well below me as well as 10NM clear.

OK, so not much of a crisis, I'll grant you, but it shows just how much the WXR enhances your ability to identify, assess, and react to weather situations along track.

My next flight is OMDB-VHHX, so I'll be looking for more TS SIGMETS enroute to explore! If I find any, I'll share them here. B)

Cheers!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Nice! :Big Grin: 

Chris Howard

some daylight and thunderstorm pics would be great

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Try flying towards the east, thunderstorms guaranteed en route, great pics btw, can't wait for the SP1 and to have the WXR radar incorporated into the 777

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Great shots, Mark! thanks so much.

A  little pro-tip though. Your screenshots are pretty blurry, Are you using the V key? If so,  is it possible to use either print screen or fraps for the next shots?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Very nice shots!! What kind RW are you using? ASN? Opus? I suppose those lighnings are from ASN...

Very nice shots!! What kind RW are you using? ASN? Opus? I suppose those lighnings are from ASN...

It has to be ASN, as this is the only wx engine CURRENTLY capable of providing the granularity necessary for PMDG to incorporate a wx radar.  I suspect the OP is on the BETA team testing the radars accuracy...Basically, if you want a high fidelity radar, you need ASN.  To date, I believe IFLY and PMDG are the only developers incorporating HiFi's wx radar API into their products. Hopefully, other developers will choose to add this capability...

Matt King

Guys (and possibly girls, since I can't see your names)... Full names accompanying EVERY post are mandatory in the full PMDG subforum.

Great shots... Thanks for sharing!!!

PS: For the Weather Radar, must have ASN ?

Very nice -- I know I, for one, have been waiting for WXR that functions. (very long time).

I have used the RXP WX radar for so long....it is not new technology :-)

This is GREAT news!!!

Thanks PMDG.....

For the Weather Radar, must have ASN ?

For now, yes. No other developer is able to produce the data neede to get an accurate weather radar working. This may change in the future, of course.

Great shots, Mark! thanks so much.

A  little pro-tip though. Your screenshots are pretty blurry, Are you using the V key? If so,  is it possible to use either print screen or fraps for the next shots?

Thanks Cpt_Morgan, I have been using "V" but I'll consider other alternatives for better results next time.

As others have stated here, ASN is at least currently the only WX system that interfaces with the radar. The lightning itself came from REX I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. Much more intense than the default anyway!

Very nice -- I know I, for one, have been waiting for WXR that functions. (very long time).

I have used the RXP WX radar for so long....it is not new technology :-)

This is GREAT news!!!

Thanks PMDG.....

Bob, This WXR implementation is quite different from RXP or any other radar implementation in that it gives you a literal picture of the actual weather and where it is/isn't located. Unless I'm mistaken, all other WXR's to date provide an approximation at best of what weather is out there (i.e if it's raining/turbulent where you are, the radar shows a picture like what you'd expect to see, but not an exact decpiction). Some of them are purely eye-candy.

What I can say is that this is the first WXR I've ever used in FS that lets you reliably and accurately avoid weather (or seek it out, if you're a masochist!). In any event, it is very new technology, only ASN's own proprietary radar does the same thing.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

It is not new technology :-)

On the contrary, this is quite a leap forward. RXP, while pretty, is an enhanced cloud map. A weather radar isn't a cloud map, but a precipitation radar. VERY big difference.

A weather radar isn't a cloud map, but a precipitation radar. VERY big difference.

Bingo...

Obligatory post to follow up on this point:

Kyle Rodgers