Sign in to follow this  
michal

World's Ranking Of Airport

What's up guys. i need some help about a site that has information such as world's biggest airports. interms of area, and others such as traffic and passengers. I made a bet with a friend of mine and he said Amsterdam Schiphol is the biggest in area.I will be waiting for some inputs from the Pro's.Best Regards Adib Afraj

Guest Speed

I could be wrong but I think it's Montreal (which changed its name yesterday).Maybe its not easy to find out as you could measure them by land owned, space used, or other factors.Other contenders are Ohare,JFK,Heathrow,Denver. hrmmm could you call the shuttle landing strip an airport :)Speed.

At your service - here we go.According to the number of passengers:1. Atlanta2. Chicago3. London-Heathrow4. Tokyo-Haneda5. Los Angeles6. Dallas-Fort Worth7. Frankfurt8. Paris - CDG9. Amsterdam10. Denver11. Phoenix12. Las Vegas13. Houston14. Madrid15. Hong Kong16. Minneapolis17. Detroit18. Bangkok19. San Francisco 20. MiamiAccording to aircraft movements:1. Chicago2. Atlanta3. Dallas-Fort Worth4. Los Angeles5. Phoenix6. Paris-CDG7. Minneapolis8. Los Angeles-VanNuys9. Las Vegas10. Denver11. Detroit12. Cincinnati13. London-Heathrow14. Philadelphia15. Frankfurt16. Houston17. Charlotte18. Miami19. St Louis20. Pittsburgh(this info comes from the highly reputable Airways Magazine and covers I believe year 2002). I don't know of a similar list that would rank airports according to square miles (km) but I believe Denver would then be one of the biggest - it is a real monster in terms of how much space it occupies. I just checked and it occupies 137 square km - twice the size of Manhattan - I doubt there is any European airport that can even come close. There is just not enough spare real estate in Europe and in (tightly squeezed) Holland in particular. ;-)You can see interesting things when you compare both lists. Take for example your Amsterdam. It ranks 9 per passenger traffic but does not even make first 20 as far as aircraft movements. It obviously tells us that most airplanes that land there are big wide-bodies. Another such airport that mostly see big airplanes is Tokyo-Haneda.And if you tell your (not too well informed) friend that Van Nuys airport (that he probably never heard of) is within the first top 10 in the world in terms of aircraft movements - he might be really shocked or you may win another bet :-lolMichael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest orenda635

Here are some airport facts.Toronto's Pearson airport, not Montreal is Canada's largest.From the Guinnes people-Hong Kong has the worlds biggest airport terminal at 550,000 square meters.-Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport is the bussiest with 80,162,407 passengers passing through it in 2000.From various web sites-Toronto's Pearson airport has the worlds largest parking garage facility.-There is mixed opinions on the web for world's largest airport. I've heard it could be either Dallas/Ft Worth, Atlanta, or Hong Kong.

>-There is mixed opinions on the web for world's largest>airport. I've heard it could be either Dallas/Ft Worth,>Atlanta, or Hong Kong.Hong Kong was #15 in 2002 so it is next to impossible it would become the largest in 2003 - in barely a year .The contest was always between Chicago and Atlanta, never Dallas/Ft Worth. As my chart shows above it all depends if passenger or aircraft traffic figure is used.I don't use 'various' web sites but data provided by Airways Magazine. Even airlines use their data so I guess it got to be pretty solid. Michael J.

I think there's some confusion about "largest" versus "busiest". I think the data from Airways Magazine is valid, but not just because they say so. They get their data from other sources like www.airports.org. However, the data doesn't reflect the physical size of the actual airport.They rank airports in terms of:- number of passengers,- amount of cargo,- number of aircraft movements.They have data for 2000-2002. They don't seem to have and information as to the actual size of airports and terminals, however, most newer airports have ample room for perceived expansion for the next 10-20 years. For example, Bangkok is building a new airport that will eventually be able to serve over 100,000,000 passengers per year, despite having barely a third of that pass through this year. So, if we think of the newly-built airports at Bangkok (almost), Tokyo, Osaka, and Hong Kong, they probably have more room for expansion than their predecesors, and are physically larger than many existing airports including the ones currently at the top of the "most passenger" list. Many of those airports also have expansion plans that are not yet realised.- Martin

thank you guys for your replies. my friend got to look at your information and i think he got it. the biggest interms of area is Denver. Passenger it's always been Atlanta. Thank You One Again.Best Regards Adib Afraj

>They don't seem to have and>information as to the actual size of airports and terminals,>however, most newer airports have ample room for perceivedProbably true but on the other hand it is hardly the data that interests people most or gives true picture of current state of "congestion" in air travel. One airport may boast to have the largest cargo space, another the largest number of parking spaces, elevators or vending machines but besides being a curiosity it is not even mentioned in any aviation almanac - it is not a statistically relevant information. A good example is the new international airport in Kuala Lumpur. Very impressive design, huge potential for expansion but few airlines are eager to go there. So the potential might be there for very long time with little chance of ever being fully utilized. I guess the biggest untapped potential is in hundreds of small underutilized regional airports in the US - if there was only a proper aircraft or business model to take advantage of them. But unless this happens - it has little bearing on the state of commercial aviation.Michael J.

Guest oyvindhansen

I think the biggest in terms of area is King Khalid intl in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, covering an area of 225 square km. Not too much traffic there though.- Oyvind

Indeed looks like the biggest. It is in the middle of a desert so I wonder how they count this 225 km. Good catch.Michael J.