Sign in to follow this  
Mirakledba

How to know what my routes/airways are? FSX PMDG 777LRF

Hello!

Before we get started, even after the tutorial, I dont know WHAT my airways and stuff are. 

I want to do EGKK to EGCC ....How do I know my routes, airways, stars sids etc?

Thanks!

How do I know my routes, airways, stars sids etc?

I'm not sure if your question is:

How do you know which is which when looking at a flight plan? or

How do you know which SIDs/STARs/.Airways to fly to create a flight plan?

If it's the first question, then have a look here (the search function is your friend):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407847-how-do-i-distinguish-between-airways-and-waypoints-in-order-to-load-the-fmc/#entry2668067

If it's the second question, here are a few resources:

• How to Create a Flight Plan: 
  • More Information on SIDs/STARs: 
  • Free Route Planner to do ^^^ for you: www.simbrief.com

Kyle Rodgers

Mix of questions. Id rather just have a flight planner tell me what my routes and all that are. SIMBRIEF, Where to I put my depart and arrival?

I hope it tells me which altitude cause I want to do EGKK to EGCC 

EGKK - 0 0 N51°08'53.00" W000°11'25.00" LONDON GATWICK BIG 115.1 36 14 N51°19'51.15" E000°02'05.32" BIGGIN HEMEL - 328 33 N51°48'20.00" W000°25'10.00" HEMEL BUZAD - 328 10 N51°56'32.00" W000°33'08.00" BUZAD WELIN - 328 21 N52°14'50.00" W000°51'08.00" WELIN AKUPA - 327 17 N52°29'12.00" W001°05'28.00" AKUPA TIMPO - 327 5 N52°33'32.00" W001°09'50.00" TIMPO ELVOS - 327 10 N52°42'01.00" W001°18'25.00" ELVOS TNT 115.7 327 25 N53°03'14.23" W001°40'11.89" TRENT EGCC - 309 28 N53°21'14.00" W002°16'30.00" MANCHESTER

Is what I got from http://onlineflightplanner.no-ip.org/ it gives me the airways!!! :D But it doesnt tell me how high to be :/

Ok that didnt come out the way i wanted it too....

SIMBRIEF, Where to I put my depart and arrival?

No idea - sign up, and then have a look at google/YouTube.  This really isn't the place to discuss that kind of thing, and I'd bet SimBrief has a tutorial for you over on their site.

Look - search - read.  Self-sufficiency is an amazing thing.

I hope it tells me which altitude cause I want to do EGKK to EGCC 

It might, but with a route that short, there's likely other issues at play.  In the United States, we have things called LOAs, which are agreements between our ATC facilities that basically say: "if you're going from DCA-JFK, your maximum altitude is 17,000."  That wouldn't show up on a route planner, though, because LOAs aren't out there in the public realm.  The only way airlines pick up on it is either through PREFROUTES (which a planner might pull in - depends on the planner), or just by suffering through filing X and getting Y every time.  After a while, you just file Y because they never accept X.

Not sure how all of that looks over in the UK, though...

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry for bothering you. Ill learn. So before we finish, what should my alt be for EGKK to EGCC. I just wanna know what you would do. Thanks!

Sorry for bothering you. Ill learn.

Not bothering.  I just push people to try to do their own learning first, and then just ask questions about what they learned to come to a better understanding.  It's probably some repressed childhood memory from my step-mom always telling me "if you want to be a part of something, always add value to it - don't just leech."

Admittedly, I could probably do better at cushioning the message - encouraging rather than hitting with a wiffleball bat.

what should my alt be for EGKK to EGCC.

Depends on the weight, the weather, the operations, the route length, and a bunch of other things.  Since that's about the same as a flight from DCA to JFK, I'd say 17,000-18,000.  That whole area is a giant mess, though, ATC-wise, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something different entirely in reality.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi

There is a document called "FAB UNITED KINGDOM AND IRELAND STANDARD ROUTE DOCUMENT". It can be downloaded from the NATS site.

In this document are the prefered routes to and from each airport in the UK and Ireland and also the prefered routes to Atlantic entry points etc. If you go to the EGKK section, there are two prefered routes to EGCC. Each route has an associated SID and STAR together with  the minimum and maximum altitudes.

There is a document called "FAB UNITED KINGDOM AND IRELAND STANDARD ROUTE DOCUMENT". It can be downloaded from the NATS site.

I'll have to pick that up.  Thanks for the pointer!

Kyle Rodgers

Just to clarify, SimBrief won't make a route for you. It can suggest some common routes but they are only from the previous guy which flew it. Usually not accurate and most airports won't have a route between them. 

rfinder.asalink.net/free/

This is a free route finder. It's not very good, but for beginning it's okay. And always check your route before flying it! 

As there is a proliferation of this document on Google this is the link to the latest edition of the SRD.

I'll have to pick that up.  Thanks for the pointer!

I find it useful when flying the 777 across the Atlantic as there are routes to and from every possible entry/exit point to the Atlantic track system linking them to EGLL and EGKK. I just highlight the route string and copy it into PFPX. Living in Cardiff I also use the standard routes between EGFF and EGPH. This is a real world route for Flybe and is normally flown by the Dash 8 400. The Majestic simulation of this aircraft makes a complete change from flying PMDG's Boeings and for some reason I enjoy the quirky way of entering routes into the FMC.