Sign in to follow this  
deathcode

3+1 Monitor Setup in P3D 2.2

First, my system:

i7 3770K @ 3.50Ghz (stock)

16GB RAM

256 SSD Corsair

1TB Seagate 7200

EVGA 670 FTW 2GB (All 4 monitors connected to it)

Monitors:

3 x Acer G235H (23.5")

1 x Acer X162W (16")

Equipment:

Saitek Everything (Yoke, Pedals, TPM, Radios, Panel, Throttle, Switches, BIP) using SPAD

Add-Ons:

REX 4

Issue: I recently switched from FSX to P3D. So far I love it. Graphics are way better, better optimization of resources in new systems, my FPS don't drop from 30-35 and compared to FSX it shows how well optimized the game is in comparisson and I know they will introduce to even more optimizations (better SLI, Xfire, multi-cores, etc)

Now, I've been struggling with my multi-monitor configuration.

I used to run Surround for the three large screens (5760x1080) and then extend the little screen and FSX would allow me to create a new view and drag it to the small screen. In that way, I would use the three screens for scenery only and the little screen for instruments. It worked beautifully.

Now with Prepa3d I can't get it to work that way.

P3D won't let me drag a new window to the smaller screen in either full screen mode nor windowed.

I tried with and without surround also.

I'm building a Panel for a C172 and I really want to use my 4th 16" screen instead of the saitek gages or an iPad tablet to display gages as I already have the perfect small screen to be in the panel.

Anyone knows what's the best way to do this 3 + 1 setup?

I wouldn't mind buying a second 670 if I need to but I need/want to make this work.

Right now all my screen are happily connected to my 670 and I have no problems running it that way. The card seems to support the monitors quite well

The 670 runs pretty much flawlessly with P3D

I've tried that and it worked for me in v2.0 and 2.1.  I haven't tried in 2.2 yet.  I don't think surround gains you anything.  You can stretch the screen out to the side monitors and it will remember it.  But as I said, I've had the undocked window in a 4th screen, just not this last version.

Now with Prepa3d I can't get it to work that way.

P3D won't let me drag a new window to the smaller screen in either full screen mode nor windowed.

Remember (as denali said) you have to Undock any window you want to move to another monitor,

whether in Windowed or "Full Screen" mode.

I'm using 2.2 with a GTX670 and four monitors and there is no problem dragging views around.

gb.

I don't think surround gains you anything.

You can stretch the screen out to the side monitors and it will remember it.

Surround gives you bevel correction, a big plus for me.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Same as gobz, running 670 with 4 monitors - 3 in surround for the external view and the 4th for instruments. No issues in p3d 2.2 just make sure you're in windowed mode when you undock the panels, then switch to fullscreen (alt+enter) and you should be able to drag your windows to any monitor.

Denali - nvsurround gives you bezel management which doesn't activate in windowed mode. Its very noticeable when banking as you get a saw tooth effect on the horizon in windowed mode.

Darren Morris

2gb GTX 680 here works fine with 4 monitors in window or the p3d version of full screen mode.

The only thing is I could start FSX and the instrument panel would be in the correct position on the 4th monitor, have not been able to get that to work in P3D, I have to drag the panel onto the 4th monitor every time which is a pain trying to position it behind my gauge mask.

Anyone had success at that?

Mick

nvsurround gives you bezel management

Yes.  I always forget that, because it doesn't bother me, as I can at least see all of a gauge on the panel.  I think I could come up with a post process shader to do the same thing anyways.

I think I could come up with a post process shader to do the same thing anyways.

Would be great if someone could.

Surround is great for games but a real pain when you have to

go back to the desktop to do some real work.

gb.

The only thing is I could start FSX and the instrument panel would be in the correct position on the 4th monitor, have not been able to get that to work in P3D, I have to drag the panel onto the 4th monitor every time which is a pain trying to position it behind my gauge mask

Anyone had success at that?

I run four VC views and with a saved flight

the four views always reappear where they should.

This is a complete change from FSX where the views always

returned stacked above each other on the main monitor.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I run four VC views and with a saved flight
the four views always reappear where they should.
This is a complete change from FSX where the views always
returned stacked above each other on the main monitor.

Weird I had no problems with saving and positioning 4 screens in FSX as long as they were positioned and saved in window mode then could be used in full screen mode, but cannot get the instruments to save in position on my 4th monitor with P3D 

Instruments (4th screen) display ok but always on the left hand monitor of the 3 surround monitors and have to be re positioned no matter which monitor it was displayed on when I save a flight.

Mick

Thank you for the comments. I was able to "undock" the window and move it to the 4th screen. The reason I was not able to do it before was due a weird error whenever I tried to right click on the window my P3D would close up. Not with the latest 2.2 update it's working fine.

No the next issue I need to address is to use the 2D panels instead of the Virtual Cockpit for the instruments. using 5760x1080 I guess "breaks" the 2D panels or they are not shown properly or I don't know so my temporary fix is to open a new view with Virtual Cockpit and point the view towards the instruments but it kills my frame rates so I need to know how to setup the 2D panel on the smaller screen.

Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

If you are interested in a way to fix the side monitor stretching let me know.  I have it nailed, to an absolutely working solution.  It just needs a little more math, heh.  I have a few tricks I can show you to deal with the views.

Denali, have you solved the issue that prevented using the full width? I would be interested also to reduce the distorsion...

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

my temporary fix is to open a new view with Virtual Cockpit and point the view towards the instruments but it kills my frame rates so I need to know how to setup the 2D panel on the smaller screen.

Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Could you explain this a bit more?

The new VC view is on the 4th monitor?

Don't the instruments still open on the Surround monitors?

gb.

I use the regular cockpit view for the three monitors in surround. Then I open a new view VC view and I move it to my smaller 4th screen (mounted in a Cessna like panel) and that VC view, I use zoom and CTRL+Q to point it to the instruments, but that's not efficient at all. I want to use either two views, one for the scenery and another one for the 2D instrument panel. I just don't know how to get the 2D panel to show up.

I read somewhere that it has something to do with the resolution of the three monitors in surround (5760x1080) but I'm not sure. If anyone knows how to accomplish it please let me know.

I read somewhere that it has something to do with the resolution of the three monitors in surround (5760x1080) but I'm not sure. If anyone knows how to accomplish it please let me know.

Yes, surround can mess up 2D panels.

Seems to depend on how the panel size/location is coded for the plane, so it can vary from plane to plane.

You said you had things working with surround and FSX.

Are you using the same aircraft in P3D?

Are the panels opening twice the size they should be and do you get the mouse busy circle?

gb.