Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

Disappointed

Quite a challenge would be to provide a problem notably fixed by adding highmemfix=1

Funnily enough you are the only person I have ever seen who has more problems instead of less problems when using this fix. In hundreds upon hundreds of users all over the net, you are the only one...

I also dont see what you are trying to prove here Steve.

It is adviced by every FSX guru and software developer I know, that HIGHMEMFIX is required to avoid issues.

Including ACES and I have heard this from two sources now that both have/had direct contact to former ACES members.

Now I could see that if I was having problems with FSX, that trying without the HIGHMEMFIX is worth a shot.

A long shot if you ask me, but what the heck, why not?!

So how about we leave it at that hey?

When we run into problems that we can not fix any other way (be it performance, or VAS, or graphical issues) we will try your idea of removing HIGHMEMFIX and test again.

As a counter offer, you leave those that DO use the HIGHMEMFIX with great succes alone, and stop telling them/us to remove something that does not cause any problems.

This way nobody has to prove who is wrong and who is right.

Deal?

That would be great because this discussion has been going on long enough if you ask me.

You have made your point!

Thank you.

Rob Robson

Next time my fsx.cfg has to be rebuilt, I'll try without the HIGHMEMFIX and will check whether the usual skeleton and other issues reappear or not.

I'll keep you posted (and will state my GPU...)   ;-)

I'll keep you posted (and will state my GPU...) ;-)

Olli, It only took me 3 attempts to get Steve to even partly provide his system specs. and also display settings which he has decided to not provide, for whatever reason. How can we compare what he is stating without some sort of idea what settings he has. He could have autogen @ zero for all we know.

I agree with Rob, he is just toying with us, and I bit.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

In Topic: FSX Permanently Freezes with PMDG 777

28 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've added [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=14  to FSX.CFG file and that seems to have stopped the freezes for me. I'm still trialling it at the minute, but so far I've done two full flights - FACT - SBGL & SBGL - OTBD without any freezes. I'm still waiting for the freeze to happen with having so many in the past, but so far so good.

Above is my post from a few months ago. I still haven't had a freeze since. I'm not saying it will work for all, but I think anyone getting the 8-10 min freeze should at least give it a try.

Good luck.

I've added [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=14  to FSX.CFG file and that seems to have stopped the freezes for me.

Same here. I wound up getting artifacts with this, however. Since then, I also discovered that I had a faulty memory module and I'm now in the process of rebuilding my setup. I'll test again once I'm back up.

Walter Meier

It only took me 3 attempts to get Steve to even partly provide his system specs

My system is not a secret, I've got full autogen and lod 4.5. No one has provided a situation that I can replicate here, whereby HIGHMEMFIX=1 cures something. My case rests.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just because you cant replicate it  doesn't mean it  doesn't work  for  the other 99.9 percent of  us.  My case rest too :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Steve,

When I reinstalled FSX, I forgot to add the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement to my fsx.cfg file. I was experiencing graphical issues like white rectangles across the landscape, and also the skies turning black when looking in particular directions in various areas. When I added the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement to my fsx.cfg file, those issues vanished. Now, I am not suggesting that this is universal (although I am sure that plenty of forum members would say exactly that), but it is significant that adding this statement solved my graphical issues instantly.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I thought you only just found out about it Chris?

Anyway If it is claimed it does indeed make a difference, then why is anyone arguing about it not being part of the list of items that can be eliminated to find problems? It is a valid elimination item.- My case rests (2).

it is mentioned in the pmdg introduction manual( Page 14) my case rest too :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes it's because it's mentioned in the PMDG manual that we are discussing it.

My point is that to find a problem we have to eliminate items from the mix. Say you got a weird problem maybe memory related, then try with just half you memory sticks on the board, then the other half. OK you want all the memory, but how do you check it? You test with one half then later the other, then put it all back if no difference. Anyone get that kind of idea?

I was installing a few planes, mucking around, trying stuff to test. Then later I started to get freezes every so often. I found a hypergauge dll entry in dll.xml and removed it - the freezes stopped. I've not had time to go back and check what's going on there.

The problem that surfaced when I used highmemfix=1 was a clash of some kind with nvidea shadowplay, it wasn't being used, and had been there for weeks, then suddenly, ntdll.dll and stackhash error with the shadowplay module, co-incidence? Maybe. I was doing repeat flights and alternately trying highmemfix=1 keeping GPU traces etc. when that happened.

I admire your persistence, Steve. There is nothing I like seeing more than a widely accepted theory being shot down in flames. I am not necessarily saying that this is the case here, but it's interesting nonetheless :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks Chris. If it gets shot down, then that's just unfortunate.

But I'm not after it for that reason, it's a fix, and so may prove incompatible with some GPUs and must be eliminated during a bug hunt.