Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

Disappointed

If that's the case, then I have been lucky on two separate PCs. I have never messed about with permissions and setup admin rights on the two PCs that I have installed FSX on (my old Q9550/Windows Vista 64bit, and my current i5 2500k/Windows 7 64bit), and I don't recall having any problems that could be related to that.

I hope you are lucky.

really!

The other possibility is that you do not have the right combo of addons yet.

Did you turn off UAC?

This may have saved you!

Do you have a real world weather addon?

Like many addons it requires acces to the FSX folder.

If it does not get acces (which is more than likely if you install FSX to default Programs folder AND have UAC on as per default at the same time) then things will not work right.

Rob Robson

Multi drive systems can cause problems and hard disk delays, so can SSDs with old formware or when they "repair" themselves.

I always go for a single drive system, or with RAID a single partition.

Installing FSX into the default location is not an issue at all if a simple edit of permissions is made before installing addons. The proper permissions should be set rather than "Run as Admin", proper permissions are automatically available and don't attract security overhead.

When you make your own folder for FSX that folder automatically acquires the proper permissions (yours). Tricks like "Taking Ownership" cause problems and leave the system wide open to malware.

Setting the proper permissions for best FSX performance:

filepermissions.jpg

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Sorry for the ambiguity: Never installed acceleration. All my flights have been with SP1+2 specifically.

checked....so now we know it is not SP2 or Acceleration specific.

baby steps.....but we will get there ;-)

Rob Robson

I am not aware of ever having manually disabled UAC, but I suppose that it is possible.

I do not use real world weather, although I do have REX Essentials PLUS installed.

My CPU is an Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz

My GPU is a 1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti

I have FSX installed in the default Programs (x86) folder.

I have a single 2TB hard disk, so everything is installed on that.

I have the "AffinityMask=14" statement in my fsx.cfg file.

I may (or may not) have the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement in my fsx.cfg file.

I like chocolate ice cream :smile:

I have not encountered a freeze so far with the PMDG 777.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think they have a freezer on board.

I am not aware of ever having manually disabled UAC, but I suppose that it is possible.

I do not use real world weather, although I do have REX Essentials PLUS installed.

My CPU is an Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz

My GPU is a 1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti

I have FSX installed in the default Programs (x86) folder.

I have a single 2TB hard disk, so everything is installed on that.

I have the "AffinityMask=14" statement in my fsx.cfg file.

I may (or may not) have the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement in my fsx.cfg file.

Amazing.....you have done everything wrong (slight exaggeration) on an ok but not Top Notch system, lol

Gongrats, well done :-)

Ps you can search for that HIGHMEMFIX (or for GRAPHICS where it will be under if added correctly).

Open the .cfg with Notepad, click EDIT/FIND.

Rob Robson

Ok just finished another flight, across the Atlantic, with OPUS on core 3 and AI traffic on.

No freezes :-)

Now this was a flight where I switched between full screen and Windowed mode a few times and accessed the FSX MENU bar a lot. Even changed from night to day time while at 4x speed (things I normally avoid doing).

So just before TOD, when I accessed the menu bar once more, to switch from x4 speed to x2 speed....the sim CDT-ed

Before "someone" sais....."your system is corrupt"......

That does not have to be the case, this is a known problem!

And it is normally fixed with UIAutomation core.

So I will drop this into the FSX folder.

I will do one more transatlantic test flight and then I will move to testing other routes (where there is more AI traffic than across the pond, for example KJFK to KLAX).

Rob Robson

Any news on if the open, acknowledged issue "long pauses where the Sim recovers after 30secs to 1 minute"?

Purchased a product I haven't used for months now due to this... Render it pretty much useless.

John

I have had this problem once ( 30sec pause) during my first test flight with the 777. After that, I've only experienced a few time short pauses. Now it doesn't happen at all. It could be things on your end. Because everyone's setup is different, its hard to diagnose a problem a few people have and the rest don't. We will see what sp1 does...

Did another flight....with the "less load on core 0 helps theory" confirmed again!

This time I had OPUS running on core 1,2 and 3 but not on core 0.

Uneventfull flight....so, beautifull :-)

For what it is worth:

I allways use a certain guide to install FSX and Win7.

A part of this guide, called Windows Optimizing, sets up Win7 for max performance and so (amoungst other things) reduces the load Windows places on core 0 as much as possible!

I installed everything (Win7 + FSX) fresh recently.

This is my third Win7 FSX install "attempt", in search for the ultimate, cleanest, most stable installation possible.

But I have NOT done the Optimizing part yet!!

Maybe it is not a coincedence that I now, for the FIRST time ever, have freezes because core 0 is taxed too much!

Next up, a few test flights on routes across the USA.

Thumbs up that my "less load on core 0 helps theory" holds....

Rob Robson

I know it's been mentioned nearer the start of this discussion, but anyone coming in late may have missed it - make sure if you have FSUIPC (set in dll.xml) to turn off Autosave, it takes quite a few seconds to save the game files with the 777.

Thumbs up that my "less load on core 0 helps theory" holds....

Yes it would be really great to find such a simple thing to improve performance.

By the way, just to be pedantic, CPUs are split into Cores, and Cores are split into Logical Processors with HT. Perhaps we should say LPs - not to be confused with vinyl records, which people make plant pots from since they already have a hole in the middle.

With your Affinity Masking theory, (if you have HT on) keep FSX away from one whole Core (the pair of LPs), not just one LP. I would leave HT on and with 4 core + HT = 8 LPs try an AM of 252=11111100, leaves one whole core. What you find is that Windows does a good job of this anyway. All AMs do is restrict the amount of room the cat can be swung in.

I am not going to use Affinity mask on FSX.

This will rob FSX of a core.

I want FSX to run on 4 cores!

Instead, I will use the Task Manager to have addons/utilities NOT run on core 0.

Rob Robson

I hope you get some good results Rob, speak later.

The "HIGHMEMFIX=1" statement was nowhere to be seen in my fsx.cfg file, so I have added it. Can I just ask....would not having this in the config file cause glitches like "black skies" and "white squares in the terrain"? I had these now and again before I added this statement, so I will be interested to see if it improves the situation.

EDIT: I also experienced that damn annoying "spinning displays" bug again (for the third time) during a quick test flight at UK2000 Stansted Xtreme. Not being able to determine my heading, speed or altitude when manually flying a circuit of the airport in this beast resulted in a slightly reduced "elegance factor" when turning from left downwind to final approach. Through sheer luck, I ended up at roughly the correct speed and glideslope at 1500 feet, so I got her down safely.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png