Sign in to follow this  
Mirakledba

Airways FMC question for NGX 737? FSX

Heh, again, Kyle covered that topic in his video. US wise I can suggest flightaware for RL routes, and skyvector for charts. There are more (you will find out in Kyle's video), but as I do not fly in US I do not use nor know all resources available for that part of the world.

Also,2.3 hours? Sadly, I dont have time for that as its been busy here.

Someone takes the time to put a video together and you just complain that it's too long. You want to fly the tutorial flight again, but you don't want to watch the 2 hour video. Sounds like bull*** to me...

Don't get me wrong, but you're the type of guy who wants everything NOW. And NOW is not possible. It takes time.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Sorry, Ill watch it tomorrow. Not everything NOW its just im travelling for a few months in a few days leaving my PC behind forcing me to use my laptop for FSX with finals coming up and all. What exactly does that video teach? I WILL Watch it but no one is really answering my main question but I can see why.

Sorry if I got you ######, I just need to know WHERE TO START. YOU ALL were in my position not knowing about this so tell me what you use and how to get better. Want me to tell you why? I turn 15 in two months. Im havent even started training. That is why the FMC confuses me, you guys have a higher level of experience. I just want to get an idea of stuff before training. I see kids 15 and 16 using the FMC and the NGX perfectly so I want to be like , not huge indepth stuff I should be learning later on.

P.I.S.S.E.D is what I said, nothing insulting dont worry.

So i will see your replies tomorrow to these.

Link to good route planning sites. Where to learn how to use the FMC for ILS landings and use it just like everyone else. And finally, Sids and Stars (nothing too indepth, just to get a working proper route in the FMC like tutorial 1) Still early on using this stuff, so dont rush me please.

Just take it easy man. Don't compare yourself with others, many people start this hobby being 40, so don't worry about that. If you're 15 and learning, that's great, you don't have to be all-knowing or anything.

You're asking for a starting point: Kyle's video on Route Planning is a great one.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Had to stay awake to see your reply. Thanks man. I am watching that whole video tomorrow. After that, hoping for a video that shows me where and explains where the sids and the routes go into the FMC. I want the PMDG 777 badly because I dont wanna fly a 737 in the future, but a great start. I didnt have 80 dollars at the time and was impatient and got the 737. When i posted this http://forum.avsim.net/topic/440927-how-to-know-what-my-routesairways-are-fsx-pmdg-777lrf/ I was on my friends PC trying it out for 1 flight, too bad I didnt do the flight not knowing my routes. Thats besides the point. Thanks for your help, i will watch kyles video on routing tomorrow, but I had 1 question left, even after knowing my routes and that, where to I put them in the FMC? I know I did it with the tutorial but that was a 1 time thing...Do you think I should do ILS approaches without L NAV AND VNAV and just talking to ATC using heading and VOR LOC and APP? Just for fun while I learn about the LNAV AND VNAV and FMC routes and stuff?

G'Night.

I suggest you do the following:

-first, get an airway map and try and see how airways and fixes work. I think Ryans comparison to higways and their different exits and interchanges is a good comparison.

-second, take a look at different departure charts. See how they work. In Europe, they are generally prescribed specific route to a specific fix, where you continue on airways. In the states, they are often vectored.

-third, take a look at approaches. ILS for a start. See that there may be multiple IAFs for a single ILS, so you can start it from several places.

-fourth, take a look at arrival charts. Notice how they usually connect last fix of the route to the IAF of the approach.

Now, take a look at the tutorial and see how these separate concepts are applied and where are they entered to the FMC.

YOU ALL were in my position not knowing about this so tell me what you use and how to get better.

Yes and no.

Yes, I was at one point at a level of knowledge similar to yours.

No:

I did not have YouTube, or other videos to guide me along.

I did not have a wealth of information to guide me along.

I did not have a forum's-worth of people to answer my questions.

I did not have an FMC to take me on a route across the country.

It all came down to learning on my own with some outdated charts my neighbor would hand me every once in a while.  I guess, since I didn't really have many resources to teach me, I was forced to teach myself.  While I didn't have super-realistic, highly-complex aircraft to distract me from learning the basic principles before diving into complex aircraft, I did have a more complex method of navigation (no FMC, no GPS when I started - all VORs and NDBs) to learn.

I think, by now, you can see that all of us in this thread are here, invested in your learning experience.  I do think that some of us question your own investment in your own learning experience, though - no offense.  If my neighbor handed me a book (which he did, several times) and said "read it," I did just that with no questions asked.  If someone knowledgeable passes you a resource - be it a YouTube video, a website, or a book - and says "read/watch this," it's probably in your best interest to do so.  The people helping you all had to get their information somehow.  I'm willing to bet that it all came from sitting down and reading or viewing the right information (sometimes several times over), in order to get it to stick.

It probably comes off as us just trying to pass you off to something else and avoid doing any work, but honestly, when it comes to learning, you can't beat the combination of text, images, and voice.  I could type the same exact content as a lot of my YouTube videos here, and it just wouldn't have the same effect.  Visuals are hugely important for mental processing.  That's why we keep linking you to videos.

Just hold up for a minute.  You're attacking this like it's one giant problem, when in reality, it's several smaller problems.  We're not telling you to try to learn the basics first because we think you shouldn't be flying the NGX yet.  We're telling you to learn the basics to make flying the NGX easier.  It's a lot easier to fill a route page out for an FMC if you know the differences between fixes and airways.  It's a lot easier to know what a route planner is giving you if you know how to plan your own route.

We're trying to give you a solid foundation to work from.  It may seem boring, compared to just jumping right into your cool new airplane, but it's vital to your understanding of that airplane.  Plus, when you get a new aircraft, you won't have to learn everything all over again.  Since you know the basics, all you need to learn is how to apply those basics to the new plane.

Example:

I just bought a new bike.  Riding a bike involves pedaling, steering, shifting, and braking.  Both bikes use those same principles, but my new bike has everything integrated into the brake handles (shifting and braking).  Since I understood the concept of why you need to change gears, all I needed to do is teach myself how to change gears on my new bike (I still reach for the old shifter location).  Start at the basics, and work up.

Kyle Rodgers