Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

Tiller

I use to assign via FSUIPC the tiller movement to the twist joystick axis and the rudder to the Saytek pedals; in this way a get a pretty good management of both tiller and rudder.

Bye

Marco

Hi Marco,

Could you please tell me what settings you use in FSUIPC so that when I twist my joystick it operates the tiller only?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed, unfortunately the tiller wil not operates by its own; probably due to FSX limits I guess it' not possibile to make it working like the real thing.
I tuned the twist axis (tiller) more sensitive than the rudder pedals and in this way i can simulate some differece between the two axis; now, the real tiller makes 70° of steering, and the rudder only 7°; i didn't find out yet how to reproduce this via FSUIPC but i got a more true situation compared to default one.
If somebody know how to improve this, i will appreciate it!!

Bye

Marco

Ed

Briefly (and as Marco mentioned above) you need 2 "z axis" controllers to separately use one as a tiller, the other as the rudder .... both of which can be individually assigned to your axis of choice in fsuipc !!

so, if you have a yoke & pedals, you'll need a joystick (with a twist axis) to simulate a tiller separately whilst using the pedals for rudder as & where they can be.

for now, cheers

john martin

Unfortunately I only have a joystick at this time. There is an A330 out there that allows you set a keyboard assignment for the tiller which deactivates above a certain speed. I'd love to see this option on the T7

Ed

just a quick mention, with a second (relatively cheap) joystick such as a logitech 3DPro, you will with payware fsuipc be able to have the option to separately set tiller nosewheel steering, foot pedal nosewheel steering /  rudder control for any aircraft that needs to & not rely on a developer....most of whom would expect one to have fsuipc anyway. 

payware fsuipc will recognise both controllers & allow separate assignments / with calibrated & different sensitivies and limit rudder control below a nominated ground roll speed.

using a yoke - as in a boeing - requires more investment + pedals and still achieves the same result.

thus for me, i use pedals in both an airbus & a boeing, but swap out joystick #1 for a yoke as appropriate..given also with fsuipc you can set aircraft specific profiles.

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi,

i use the arcaze usb board from simple-solutions.de. I built an own tiller by using an potentiometer pluged to an analog channel. It uses very well.

Greetings,

Achim

So as your taxing away from the gate, you can do your rudder control checks, as in real life?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

So as your taxing away from the gate, you can do your rudder control checks, as in real life?

Just do the rudder checks while stationary, that way you are not zig zagging all over the place.

Hi all,

Thanks for your assistance, but......I think you're missing my point. I mentioned earlier in this thread that someone else is using an fsx keyboard assignment to operate the tiller. So RSR and Ryan,  if they can do it I know you guys can!!!! Now don't you all go yelling at me, I just believe it's doable. And doesn't have to be right now since your primary focus is on SP1 and the 300ER. But it would be great for those tight taxiway turns :rolleyes:

I must be missing something, because I'm not sure what is needed here. Don't the default key assignments — Num_0 (Left), Num_5 (Center), and  Num_Enter (Right) — allow you to steer the aircraft on the ground? As long as the aircraft is rolling, the tiller rotates in the appropriate direction and by the appropriate amount when the Num_0 or Num_Enter key is pressed and held for a certain length of time. The twist feature on my ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X throttle produces the same effect. What other key assignment is needed?

I must be missing something, because I'm not sure what is needed here. Don't the default key assignments — Num_0 (Left), Num_5 (Center), and Num_Enter (Right) — allow you to steer the aircraft on the ground? As long as the aircraft is rolling, the tiller rotates in the appropriate direction and by the appropriate amount when the Num_0 or Num_Enter key is pressed and held for a certain length of time. The twist feature on my ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X throttle produces the same effect. What other key assignment is needed?

The default assignments move the rudder and FSX uses this as a tiller movement on ground. In real aircraft the rudder can only move the nosewheel 7-8 degrees and the tiller input to move it more is separate. So although it will work as you describe this is about being more realistic if possible.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm still not sure if I understand your frustration. The tiller does move appropriately when you press/hold the Num_0 or Num_Enter key, along with the rudder and the nose wheel (if you are moving). Is it the rudder movement that you take exception to? If so, I don't know how to disconnect the tiller and rudder movements so that only the nose wheel turns when a particular key is hit. For me, the fact that the rudder moves isn't very important since I can't see the rudder from the cockpit anyway. I try to keep things simple by using as many default keys as possible, so the current steering mechanism is fine with me.