Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKorhonen

Repaint copyright question

First of all, my apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't quite figure out where it belongs.

Anyways, something regarding the use of images on repaints - if I make a repaint that contains images (such as logos) that I've saved from google image search, am I allowed to upload said repaint to AVSIM? Do I need to state in the description and/or the readme file that none of the content belongs to me? I've searched everywhere but I can't find any information about this.

Cheers,

CK

I never have. Upload your paint then wait to see if anyone sues you. :smile: Seriously, there are thousands of repaints of BA, Quantas, American Airlines, El Al and so on ad nauseum.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

the following appears on the foot of AVSIM's pages:

Important:

Violation of Copyright Law is a violation of our Terms of Service. Read this simplified policy on use of other's material and that of AVSIM's.

It then explains: 

COPYRIGHT MATERIAL AND USE ON AVSIM

The use of material such as images, brochures, documents, news articles, etc., on AVSIM is subject to Copyright Laws and our Terms of Service. There is no interpretations of Copyright Law, internationally accepted by nearly all countries in the world. It is very simple.

USE OF MATERAIL ON AVSIM: If you do not own the material, image, document, brochure, publication, YOU MUST HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM ITS OWNER to post it on AVSIM. You can link to that material by providing a simple URL, but you cannot place that material on AVSIM period. When you do, you place AVSIM at risk and you are in violation of our Terms of Service. Violations will result in an initial one time suspension and any subsequent violation will result in total banning.

COPYRIGHT MATERIAL AND USE ON AVSIM

The use of material such as images, brochures, documents, news articles, etc., on AVSIM is subject to Copyright Laws and our Terms of Service. There is no interpretations of Copyright Law, internationally accepted by nearly all countries in the world. It is very simple.

USE OF MATERAIL ON AVSIM: If you do not own the material, image, document, brochure, publication, YOU MUST HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM ITS OWNER to post it on AVSIM. You can link to that material by providing a simple URL, but you cannot place that material on AVSIM period. When you do, you place AVSIM at risk and you are in violation of our Terms of Service. Violations will result in an initial one time suspension and any subsequent violation will result in total banning.

First of all, my apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't quite figure out where it belongs.

Anyways, something regarding the use of images on repaints - if I make a repaint that contains images (such as logos) that I've saved from google image search, am I allowed to upload said repaint to AVSIM? Do I need to state in the description and/or the readme file that none of the content belongs to me? I've searched everywhere but I can't find any information about this.

Cheers,

CK

Hi CK,

Here is a link to the upload Terms and Conditions.

http://library.avsim.net/upload.php

Like Ron said there are so many logos out there it is totally impossible for us to verify where each one has come from.

So in reality it is the responsibility of the uploader to abide by the copyright laws. Most logo stuff is never contested and is freely available on the net where I am sure everything is coming from anyway.

If you can't get ahold of the website that actually hosts the image file and there is nothing on their site stipulating use of their images then it would never hurt to add a credit about it in your readme.txt.

If you have any preupload questions regarding particular content you can email us at the library before packaging your upload.

library @ avsim dot com

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm still not completely sure about it, but I'll just upload the repaints once I've finished them. If someone wants them taken down for copyright reasons, I'll make sure that it happens. I'd tell you more but I want to keep it to myself for now - I don't want anyone copying my ideas and releasing their own versions before mine are ready  :lol:

CK