Sign in to follow this  
TobiasWalzer

Prepar3d

Events related to unflattering attention received by simming in the news media have made such conversations significantly more sensitive of late, and as such we are taking our time to ensure that equitable agreements are reached.

I feared as much ... make it real but not to real ... social and irrational fear of computers, computer simulations, and computer games -- gotta blame something OTHER than the real cause ... the human action.  Gotta love how our society (or maybe it's just the media) allows individuals to escape responsibility at every opportunity  ... blame the simulator and those who made it as I have no control over my actions ... such philosophy ultimately leads to a dead end (in more ways than one).

Yes we should be made responsible for our actions.

Ugh, anyway, I hope common sense prevails and we see the light of PMDG products in P3DV2.x ... or 3.x  ... or 4.x  

Cheers, Rob.

I feared as much ... make it real but not to real ... social and irrational fear of computers, computer simulations, and computer games -- gotta blame something OTHER than the real cause ... the human action. Gotta love how our society (or maybe it's just the media) allows individuals to escape responsibility at every opportunity ... blame the simulator and those who made it as I have no control over my actions ... such philosophy ultimately leads to a dead end (in more ways than one).

Ugh, anyway, I hope common sense prevails and we see the light of PMDG products in P3DV2.x ... or 3.x ... or 4.x

Cheers, Rob.

+1000000000

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I feared as much ... make it real but not to real ... social and irrational fear of computers, computer simulations, and computer games -- gotta blame something OTHER than the real cause ... the human action.  Gotta love how our society (or maybe it's just the media) allows individuals to escape responsibility at every opportunity  ... blame the simulator and those who made it as I have no control over my actions ... such philosophy ultimately leads to a dead end (in more ways than one).

Ugh, anyway, I hope common sense prevails and we see the light of PMDG products in P3DV2.x ... or 3.x  ... or 4.x  

Cheers, Rob.

+1000000000

Dude, you both need to wake up and smell the coffee, because you're off in Neverland, while calling upon PMDG to see your own version of "reality."

There are these things called laws in the United States, of which companies must abide.  Legal agreements between companies are backed by those laws, and there are stiff penalties for violating them.  Everyone who is claiming that it's a simple matter for developers to just port things over into P3D either has a business process that supports that, or is willfully violating a legal agreement.  Scenery is one of those things, along with airports (though some would consider them one in the same).  Those two could also be subject to the same issues, however.  As an example, if the data for the scenery was purchased from a commercial source and not a government entity, they could be tied to a restricted license that prevented them from releasing that data into a commercial simulator.

Similarly, for aircraft, if the developer is getting its data from the real world aircraft manufacturer, that manufacturer would likely want more money from the deeper pockets of the commercial market.  As such, if any sim developer tried to take their existing agreement, which is likely restricted to the entertainment industry (FSX), and port it over without consulting the real manufacturer they open themselves up to this thing called risk.  That manufacturer could sue the developer on loss of profit grounds, based on the fact that the dev was selling in a commercial market, outside the terms of the license of the data given to them.

It's a FACT that Boeing differentiates between entertainment and commercial use of its data.  P3D is a commercial product (no matter what license you buy for it).  To continue to exist as a business, you have to attempt to mitigate risk where possible.  One of the simplest ways to mitigate risk is to not violate agreements.  If Boeing says "entertainment only," then you keep your data in the realm of entertainment only, unless you want to purchase a commercial license for the use of the data in a commercial environment.

Welcome to Business 101, and Business Law 101...

To quote one of my favorite musicians:

"This is the United States calling...are we reaching [you]???"

(Right at the end of Pink Floyd's "Young Lust," if you don't catch the reference) 

If you want to risk your own company, go right ahead, but don't criticize other people's decision to keep their businesses out of hot water.

Kyle Rodgers

Dude, you both need to wake up and smell the coffee, because you're off in Neverland, while calling upon PMDG to see your own version of "reality."

Sorry, Kyle.  I should have been a little more specific than just quoting Rob's entire post like I did.  I really could care less about how long it takes PMDG to get A/C into P3D.  I don't use P3D so that's not really the point I was trying to emphasize.  I understand what they are up against when you start talking legal matters and all the craziness that goes along with that.  So I wasn't trying at all to say just give us our planes in P3D cuz it doesn't matter to me when they do.  I'm happy in FSX yet.

What I was backing 1000000% though here was Rob's 1st big paragraph talking about society and the media towards responsibility.  At least here in the U.S., anything that happens to us is (almost)always someone or something else's fault.  Not our own.  (almost)No one takes accountability for their own actions.  That's what I meant to back here.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

What I was backing 1000000% though here was Rob's 1st big paragraph talking about society and the media towards responsibility.  At least here in the U.S., anything that happens to us is (almost)always someone or something else's fault.  Not our own.  (almost)No one takes accountability for their own actions.  That's what I meant to back here.

I'll agree with that much.  The rant that was quoted, though, lumped it all together, which made it seem as if you were agreeing with the sentiment that PMDG was trying to shirk the blame of their delayed entry on everyone else.

Kyle Rodgers

The rant that was quoted, though, lumped it all together, which made it seem as if you were agreeing with the sentiment that PMDG was trying to shirk the blame of their delayed entry on everyone else.

You lost me Kyle ... I simply quoted Robert R. of PMDG?  Who indicated the recent media frenzy around the 777 lost and the pilot having a flight simulator ... at least that's what I assumed Robert's reference was about?

If you want to risk your own company, go right ahead, but don't criticize other people's decision to keep their businesses out of hot water.

Was this aimed at me?  Still pretty unsure what I criticized?  Almost certain I didn't and I agree with your statements regarding due diligence it crossing the T's and dotting the I's and making sure all is on the correct legal path.

Cheers, Rob.

You lost me Kyle ... I simply quoted Robert R. of PMDG?  Who indicated the recent media frenzy around the 777 lost and the pilot having a flight simulator ... at least that's what I assumed Robert's reference was about?

Nah, you're right.  Sorry - I see where you were going.

I took your comments to say that they were trying to push off the blame to everywhere else for not being in P3D already.  I see what you meant now.  No idea how I took it to mean what I did...

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks a lot for all your inspiring thoughts. But at the end I hoped to get some information about the way ahead. (Thanks for the link.) Could any PMDG official please give a rough estimation if the 737 NG will be released at all within the next 12 months? Thanks.

It has been said just a week ago by RSR that there is no estimate... is that so hard to comprehend?

Let's just keep this little recap in mind: PMDG doesn't do estimated release dates. All you'll EVER get is "we're working on it."

Don't expect more, because that's simply not the way it works. Countless threads, and answers, over the years have proven exactly why they operate this way. If you want to get a little look yourself, search for the old version of the Prepar3D topic in the general forums.

I fear I might be missing the point here but from a player's perspective I can at least confirm that PMDG 737 NGX with patch level 1c (SP1c) installs and works beautifully under PREPAR3D V2.2 as long as I first install the registry fix that www.fullterrain.com so kindly has made available (see the bottom of their support page and the link to "FSX_Registry_Fix.zip").

I do have the NGO Flightsim Estonia http://www.flightsim.ee/ migration tool installed as well but I have it in "disabled" mode and the PMDG 737 NGX still works perfectly so I am assuming that it is not actually needed to make the combination of PREPA3D 2.2 and PMDG 737 NGX SP1c work.

I do hope this is not in violation of any copyrights or other company rights as the software is being used in a private non-commercial setting albeit the P3D license might be considered "commercial/professional" in some sense and I fully agree that PMDG obviously cannot make an official release that would include condonement from Boeing unless they have their full consent.

Cheers!

/Mats B.

I do hope this is not in violation of any copyrights or other company rights

Yes, it is.