Sign in to follow this  
Markek

FSX Won't Start -Closes after Splash Screen

I have searched all of the pages of this forum and while others have had the same problem, none of the solutions have worked for me.  Any help would be appreciated.

My computer went into the shop for repairs unrelated to FSX which was working fine.  Now, when loading FSX I get the splash screen and and then the program closes.  No error messages display and Event Viewer shows nothing either.  I believe everything else about the computer is working fine.

I have deleted FSX.CFG and the only difference in the start-up is that I am prompted to trust a few files and then FSX closes.  I tried renaming the logbook file with the thought it might have gotten corrupted but that did not help either.  Also, I ran FSX Acceleration repair and that did not change anything.

It does seem like that just as the splash screen disappears, there is a quick view of a information box that may be another dialog of trusting a site but can't be for sure as its really quick.

The first time I tried to run FSX it did go through the scenery re-build dialog box which I was surprised by as nothing had been changed even before I had issues, muchless after I got it back.

Not sure what else to describe so please ask or offer suggestions..

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I know this is no help to you, but I'm experiencing exactly the same thing as you. It only started happening today. I was trying to install the Flightbeam KDEN whilst my FSX was running (bad move on my part - I usually install addons when FSX is not running). I started getting some errors with couatl and since then FSX will just crash back to the desktop after the splash screen is displayed.

I tried deleting the fsx.cfg but that made no difference.

I tried a restore back to earlier today when everything was working but that made no difference either.

I'm loathe to have to re-install FSX from scratch as I have many dozens of addons and last time it took me about 6 months to get everything running back to my satisfaction.

Hope there is an easy answer to this problem...

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Mark,

Update: I was looking at some other postings in this forum for clues and saw Jim Young's tip about downloading a new Addon Manager. I have done that and now my FSX works again. Am pretty relieved!

So if you have any Flightbeam or FS Dreamteam scenery installed try installing a new copy of the Addon Manager and see if that helps.

Regards,

Hugh

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

Hugh:

Thanks very much.  Downloading a new Add-on Manager worked.  I have no idea why though as I haven't made any changes to FSDT programs in quite some time.  It was easy enough to try even though there seemed to be no logic to it but glad I did.  Thanks again.

Mark

Thank you so much for this thread! Saved my sanity, and a bunch of time.

I was about to go crazy, because it was crashing and it didn't even leave ANYTHING in event viewer. You can imagine I was one angry pilot.

But now that everything is sorted, it's back to flying. Thanks a million for all the help! 

Cheers,

DoubleG01

This is the solution we have in the AVSIM CTD Guide too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What Addon manager?

I'm currently using Addit! Pro for FSX manage. I'm not sure what I'm adding on to make CTD stop.

What Addon manager?

It's the Addon Manager from the FS Dream Team site.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks Dave. I also removed an ENBseries and sweetfx presets along with FlightFx. Got it to at least start but still crashes. Will try the Addon Manager from the site mentioned.

same problem happening for me, tried re installing addon manager but no dice.... dreading the re install........
but at the same time i have a spare SSD, its only 120gb but its better than using an old seagate drive.

same problem happening for me, tried re installing addon manager but no dice.... dreading the re install........

but at the same time i have a spare SSD, its only 120gb but its better than using an old seagate drive.

Do you have teamspeak installed, and if so are you using the overlay?

Do you have teamspeak installed, and if so are you using the overlay?

yeah i have ts but no overlay that im aware of. i had been changing around my scenery files and fiddling with them but ive already gone down the route of re installing so im going to try that. 

i have my old system ssd ready so hopefully it will be better than being on a secondary storage hdd.

yeah i have ts but no overlay that im aware of. i had been changing around my scenery files and fiddling with them but ive already gone down the route of re installing so im going to try that. 

i have my old system ssd ready so hopefully it will be better than being on a secondary storage hdd.

I had this issue after I installed the overlay for Teamspeak 2. After I disabled the plugin, the problem went away.

Don't know the Overwolf plugin for TS3 will do the same thing, Haven't tested it.

It is best to start a new topic as it gets a bit confusing sometimes with many different discussions.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance on how to investigate the "crime" yourself on pages one and two.  For instance, removing your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder and restarting FSX might fix the problem.  This would indicate the problem is in your config (most likely a tweak).  It could also be the dll.xml that is corrupted and moving that over to a temporary folder and restarting might fix the problem too.  It won't rebuild the dll.xml though so you will have to investigate that and see which module in the dll.xml is stopping fsx to start up at the splash screen.  Rebuilding the FSX.cfg is considered by many as having the same effect of reinstalling FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10