Sign in to follow this  
tull

Should I come over from X Plane?

I am off to bed now but I hope to wake up to my question, bigtime fsx simmer for a long time, pmdg etc but I have had my eye now on prep 3d, been flying X plane for 6 months nearly and it is very very very good, BUT, should I take a look at prep3d?? WHAT a question hey I'm about to ask ............ is prep3d better than fsx???

Regards

Paul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

If there's room on your hard drive then why not put it there? We're all here because we love the world of flight simulation. Why tie yourself to just one? Every platform has it's pros and cons, some more then others. I like to keep an open mind and have options for whatever my mood that day. Some days I like to take the Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340 out for a flight within X-Plane. If a longer route is my desire, FSX works great for that. P3D to me seems to provide some more environmental immersion so I love aimlessly flying around some general aviation. Had a bad day? I'll take the DCS A-10C out and that will put a smile on my face.

Everyone has their preferences but nobody is here to tell you you need to play one flight sim and one flight sim only. Open your horizons and give it a shot, you might like it!

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Having two sim platforms is not illegal and is not like cheating on your wife.  It is perfectly fine to spend time with a sim and enjoy it and then next day spend time with another sim and enjoy that.  I have X-Plane and really like it.  I also have FSX and use it from time to time, as well as P3D, which is where I spend most of my time.  I guess what I am trying to say is I am a poly"game"ist and I do not feel guilty about it. You should not feel any guilt either.  :)

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

You are the only one that can determine better, suggest you try it and make the determination yourself.  LM will refund your money if you don't like it.

Cheers, Rob.

Hope this helps.

You may want to include a bunch of smiley!  I don't think geedub meant ill.  

To the OP, I know your feeling.  Like many others, we want one sim to deal with: one that will good visuals and one that works without tweaking.  I would suggest this:  read the forum, think hard about the things that you WILL NOT have with P3D because of license restriction and 3PD still catching up.  Then think about what you have currently working, then enjoy what you have until you are sick of it ;-)  Then in a year or two, when P3D v2 matures enough and the 3PD caught up, make the plunge then.  If you will be happy to delete all the rest, if it gies you what you want!  I now straddle between XPX and FSX, but I found the switch back and forth hard.  I don't have a lot of time on my hands!  Lately, I have been back to FSX waiting for XPX 10.30 to see if some promises from LR will be kept.  I am re-enjoying all the conveniences that FSX currently offers, and since I made peace with my sliders a while back, FSX is now stable and don't cause me grief any more.

Bottom line: be patient!  P3D v2 is still growing up.  Unless you enjoy tweaking yet again and frustration of trying to get your stuffs working with it.

Edited by n4gix
Removed quote that has been hidden

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Folks, some posts have been 'hidden from view' because the post they made reference to was likewise 'hidden.'

AVSIM is on the whole fairly tolerant, but we do draw the line at gratuitous insults.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I hated FSX ,sttuters, flight model etc, so went for X plane 9 and X plane 10 .

I bought Prepar 3D a year ago or so and after a week asked for a refund.

Then V2 came out and I thought , nothing to loose, if I dont like it I ask for a refund.

I love it, and havent touch X plane 10 ever since :)

The A2A 172, Accusim is great, Im liking it soo much I bought a new video card and a PFC yoke.

This is totally a matter of personal preference ... some people prefer X-Plane, some prefer FSX, and others prefer Prepar3D.

I bought X-Pane 10 last August after I bought a new PC (I also owned X-Plane 9).  I was quite disappointed with X-Plane 10. I didn't find its 'Plausible World' to be all that plausible, and the small GA aircraft were overly affected by wind (even a light breeze blew then around like they were made out of paper).  A few months later P3D v.2.0 was released, and I immediately bought it. 

For my purposes (I only use small GA aircraft)  Prepar3D offers the best of the three. I have honestly hardly used X-Plane 10 since buying P3D (have just use it for helicopters). I've now added Orbx FTX Base, Vectors, and FS 2010 mesh, plus Active Sky Next and A2A's C172 (and their Piper Cub, which I already owned). I'm VERY happy with Prepar3D. P3D runs better on my PC than X-Plane 10 (and I do have the 64 bit version), and looks MUCH better (especially after adding Orbx FTX), and it has seasonal textures and better ATC and AI aircraft (partially due to Orbx).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Goodness, no offence meant!  If any taekn I unreservedly aploligisde ...  But let it be known that my campain to ristor the Queen's Inglish to its ritefool place shall continue unabated. 

Yours deletedly,

:rolleyes:

That's unabaited. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Probably the only real downside to P3D is it's lack of compatible and well optimized addons compared to FSX, though compared to X-Plane it probably has more already! As said, give it a try, get your money back if you're not pleased.

Goodness, no offence meant!  If any taekn I unreservedly aploligisde ...  But let it be known that my campain to ristor the Queen's Inglish to its ritefool place shall continue unabated. 

Yours deletedly,

:rolleyes:

Actually, I got the impression that no real offense was intended, which is precisely why I opted to simply 'hide' your post and all subsequent replies. This action pre-empted any possible continuation of 'piling on' by other members...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very kind of you to reply Bill, and I applaud your actions. 

I hope the OP finds what he's looking for. I guess it rather goes without saying that I believe there's more than enough evidence and encouragement in these forums to justify giving Prepar3D a try. I'm certainly glad I did. OK, it required some patience but it was well rewarded. Incidentally, mine runs quite happily on a humble GTX 570, cloud shadows and all. 

Many regards,  

I wish I got as much sleep as Paul.

I've been using P3Dv2 since the day it came out...and recently bought a S/H copy of XPlane 10 to check it out.

The biggest improvement over FSX/P3D I find is that the runways follow the terrain slopes and dips, just like the real world :-)

Otherwise P3D has to win for now, though the community-generated OSM-based scenery has real potential.

Cheers

Keith