Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Not hearing "line up and wait"

In the rcv4x/script/controllerscripts/taxpos file, I changed the wording from "taxi into position and hold" to "line up and wait".

But I'm still hearing the tower controller say, "taxi into position and hold" at US Airfields.

Anyone have any suggestion as to how I can correct this?  Thanks.

You need to find the wav file that plays "line up and wait" and make a copy. Delete the wav file that plays "taxi into position..." and rename the copied file the same as the deleted one.

You'll need to do that for all controllers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the info, Ray. But have changed all 21 controllers using your method, and when tower tells you to "line up and wait", co-pilot confirms with "taxi into position and hold." How do you rectify that situation? Have Meatwater voice sets installed.

rchshirt,

You need to change the files in the pilots folder too. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, now i'm totally confused! None of my pilots' voice sets have a "line up and wait" wav in them!

Well if the pilot is saying those words they must exist in a wav. I'll check later and come back to you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, pilot voice sets outside U.S. just reply "roger" to controllers' command of "line up and wait."

Having checked, the pilots do not say "line up and wait". They respond "taxi into position and hold" at FAA airports and simply acknowledge with their call sign for ICAO ones.

I'm afraid you'll have to live with it as it would need all pilots to record the new phrase and the team are no longer together.

Ray, pilot voice sets outside U.S. just reply "roger" to controllers' command of "line up and wait."

Yes, thanks. I must have heard it a thousand times but couldn't recall the exact response. See my reply above.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guess I could do as I did for the Controllers' "line up and wait"  command and replace the pilots' voice sets for "taxi into position and hold" with "roger".

That will work. Just make sure you name the file the one RC is expecting or it will probably crash.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

To save .wav editing if you wish to replace all pilot "taxi into position and hold" try this:

Browse to the rcv4 or rcv4x scripts folder.  Pilot scripts. Copy position.txt to a safe backup folder for restoration if necessary. Open taxipos.txt in notepad or wordpad. It now reads:

"taxi into position and hold"

Change this to:

"roger"

(no quotes) the filename of the wav file to be used.

Include a return/Enter at the end so the cursor moves down one line from the line end.

That should replace the wav file(s) used for all pilots/co-pilots but not sure. I don't know when the scripts are used since there is also the taxipos.wav file. I'm not sure of the audio flow. It may only be used for the display text feature (which we do not recommend because of the resource load in RC).

If it does not work replace the original.

Well, selected 2 pilots who also happened to be controllers for co-pilot voices. Copied their "lineup.wav" files and replaced their 'taxipos.wav' files with this new 'lineup.wav' file. Just checked off the 2 pilots as controller.

Probably an easier workaround, but hey, it worked. Thanks everyone for all the help and input!

replacing pilot voices with controller wavs might introduce a change in audio as controller wavs are "radioized" to sound like VHF communications.

FYI:

When an RC voice selection page is up click the name of the pilot or controller to hear a voice sample.

To play the actual wav that will be used, you can hunt down the rcv4/rcv4x winwood folder to be used. As an example under winwood open folder 95. Click on !Brett Delana V4.txt. The contents is Pilot name: Brett Delana so you know it is a set of pilot wavs. Open winwood\10 and the .txt file says it is a controller. You can now play lineup.wav through your audio player to audition it.

Starting on page 131 of the RCv4 manual is a document written by beta tester Bob Johnson regarding the organization of wav files and adding your own voice set. He states 0-99 are pilots and controllers. I noted that the those folders are somewhat in order of the listings on the voice set tabs so you can estimate the number of the folder for the wav files. This should assist you in setting up additional pilot voices should you so desire.

Do not alter the text files nor change the order or number of wav files, nor their file names as that might cause an RC crash.