Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

A Big +1 for the Carenado Phenom

After waffling back and forth between the FeelThere and the Carenado Phenom, I am happy to report satisfaction with the Carenado. On my system, for the first flight I took at least, I have very little FPS impact, the model is gorgeous, and everything worked as expected. Flying P3D 1.4 (yeah, I know: what a Luddite!), it was smooth and problem free.

After installation, I did a cold and dark start, flight plan loaded courtesy of Plan-G (no FMC challenges), I went through a mental checklist and got everything started. G1000 track and range settings, engine start, etc. I even discovered the secret handshake for setting the target cabin pressure! Everything worked. And the VC is beeeyooooteeefullll... Man, when I turn on the instrument lights and dim it just right it is a marvelous view!

Take-off was a bit sketchy, as did not have the ATR (Automatic Thrust Reserve) engaged (as others have observed), and rolling down the runway my engine monitor flashed blood-red as I advanced the throttle. However, since I was only packing 50% fuel I was able to back off, take advantage of a long runway, and lift off without issue. Climb was a bit anemic (the T-Duke pulverizes this little jet in climbing ability), but I think if I had RTFM I would have found the ATR setting for greater thrust. As it were, 2,000 fpm up until 8K, 1,500 up until 12K, and 1K up to my test flight altitude of 15K. A little bit of a fuel hog, but that is probably due to my lack of ATR and not going high enough.

No issues with panning, changing viewpoints, nothing. Nice and smooth, and a pretty well locked-on 29.x to 30 fps. Even when going through a thunder storm! (Opus weather engine).

On landing I came in way too high, but thought I would try a hairball approach anyway. Full flaps, gear extended, and everything was good, if 3,000 fpm descent is good... That proved to be just a bit too hairball so I went around. That was the only time I saw a stutter - on the turn back. Nonetheless, she feels like a good hand flyer (it is not as if I would know!), smooth and predictable. Greased the landing, albeit halfway down a very long runway.

I know there are some in in the community that disapprove of the depth of Carenado flight models, and I may find things pop up as I continue exploring. But my first impression is overwhelmingly positive: every system that I wanted to enable from cold and dark worked, the AP worked as it should for my limited test, and it flew like one would expect a VLJ (if slightly under-powered) to fly.

You may be frustrated if you are a Q400 or PMG pilot, but if you are like me, a "student" who only recently understood the appeal of cold and dark starts, understanding all the systems that go into making it work, and want to move from GA props to jets, I think you will really like the Carenado Phenom 100.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Glad to hear you're getting a lot of enjoyment out of this aircraft....she sure is pretty.

Take-off was a bit sketchy, as did not have the ATR (Automatic Thrust Reserve) engaged (as others have observed), and rolling down the runway my engine monitor flashed blood-red as I advanced the throttle. However, since I was only packing 50% fuel I was able to back off, take advantage of a long runway, and lift off without issue. Climb was a bit anemic (the T-Duke pulverizes this little jet in climbing ability), but I think if I had RTFM I would have found the ATR setting for greater thrust. As it were, 2,000 fpm up until 8K, 1,500 up until 12K, and 1K up to my test flight altitude of 15K. A little bit of a fuel hog, but that is probably due to my lack of ATR and not going high enough.

Just some info for you on the ATR system. It is designed to automatically bump up the engine power in the event of an engine failure on takeoff / initial climb. This system replaces the need for the pilot to push the power levers past the friction stop at the takeoff setting to max power in the event of an engine failure. It does not increase available power for a normal takeoff.

Currently, with proper takeoff power set in the Carenado Phenom, the ITT indications will be through the roof....at any temperature I've tried. Keeping the ITT out of the red will result in much lower than normal takeoff power. The real aircraft can operate in and out of 4,000ft strips with a decent load.

It will also climb healthily up past FL300 at max gross weight. You shouldn't see 1,000fpm until you're well up into the flight levels.

Currently, with proper takeoff power set in the Carenado Phenom, the ITT indications will be through the roof....at any temperature I've tried. Keeping the ITT out of the red will result in much lower than normal takeoff power. The real aircraft can operate in and out of 4,000ft strips with a decent load.

Thanks for the information, DaviiB. Hopefully this is on the fix-list for SP1. It would be great if it not only looked like a hot-rod, but flew like one as well.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I'm still waiting for SP updates before jumping to that aircraft from carenado. I will love to have it in my hangar since I have the Honda jet that looks similar to the phenom 100 but without the accurate cockpit panel. I can tell you that it is a pleasure to fly these VLJ, it's in between the small aircraft like B200, caravan or tbm and big jets like 737 or EMB 190... So you have more power than small aircraft, cockpit of big jets and flying style of both.

I really want to have a private jet (citation, dassault or gulfstream...) for FSX and could not find a good one or I might be ignorant. Can someone recommend me one maybe. So far the Phenom 100 from carenado was the only option I had but with all the issues I've read I'm still waiting before making a decision on acquiring it.

What Mad Dog said.

I usually limit myself to aircraft that seat six or less, but the new projects from Eaglesoft (the Citation CJ1+) and MilViz (Beechcraft 350i) are eagerly awaited. Gotta move up the food chain... :P

John Howell

The Eaglesoft Citation X is in a class all its own. I highly recommend it. It's a great jet for short hops and long hauls. Just the other day I flew from KSFO to KPSP at FL430 and 0.91M. It was a short flight. ;) Great hand flying aircraft too. Back to topic...

Just an FYI.

The SP1 for the Phenom really helped with the problems with performance. While not quite a hot-rod in the class of a Learjet or the T-Duke you can climb with authority now, and throttle behavior is much more consistent.

Now it is truly a nice little jet: good performance, good flyer, and beyoootiful.    :P

John Howell

But they are still not simulating a Phenom's Fadec and Autopilot modes correctly, right?

If you can confirm that these are now implemented then I will buy this aircraft today.

But they are still not simulating a Phenom's Fadec and Autopilot modes correctly, right?

If you can confirm that these are now implemented then I will buy this aircraft today.

No their not. Its extremely dumbed down.

I hoped that some of the AP functions and the FADEC would have been reworked given some of the negative feedback.

It does seem that Carenado have hit a winning formula with their many fans, but a real shame for the rest who enjoy accuracy in their sims.

Looks lovely though, but regretfully I will have to pass on this one and wait patiently for someone to develop another good small jet.

I suspect this is proving to be their best-selling add-on in a long time, and for good reason! What a beauty.

I suspect this is proving to be their best-selling add-on in a long time, and for good reason! What a beauty.

A beauty that does not simulate a Phenom, And that is such a shame.

Are you really ok with the addon not operating correctly, is it all just about the graphics for you ?

good info

I am flying the feelthere Phenom quite a bit and love its character.

But I dont care for its cabin graphics (exterior is great tho) nor its constantly jerking yokes.... and was thinking of getting the Carenado, but I also want the iFly737 and should only get one or the other.

Now if the Carenado would just climb/descend using the FLC and cruise with the CSR (may have spelt these incorrectly) I'd be happier with getting it too.

On the other hand the Feelthere does not allow inflight modifications to the flight plan, nor can you make your own from scratch on the tarmack. All has to be fed via the sim's f-planner, which so far has been remedied with the use of Pro-ATCX for which in-flight approach insertions are updated on correctly.

SO, in conclusion: I plead will someone please make up my mind??

I cannot seem to  :wacko: