Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Assign joystick button to autopilot

Hi,

I have a CH Fighterstick and I assigned a single button (not a hat) to the PMDG 777 autopilot (A/P button on the MCP) but cannot get it working.

On other aicrafts the assingment works...

Do you have any idea?

- TONY -

FSUIPC allows you to assign buttons to whatever command you want. The registered version that is. Well worth it in my opinion.

Richie Walsh

Are you trying to disconnect the A/P using that assignment?

What you should do is assign the "A/P disconnect" button, the one that's located on the yoke itself, not the "A/P" button on the MCP.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

FSUIPC allows you to assign buttons to whatever command you want. The registered version that is. Well worth it in my opinion.

In a PMDG sim it's much better to use the key assignment system provided with the sim. In the 777 this is via the FMC CDU.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If you just assign the normal FSX "z" command (in the FSX controller settings) to the button it will work for disconnects. In the real airplane disconnecting AP is a different action than connecting it. We defaulted that FSX command to disconnect since it's more realistic to go up and click the AP on with the mouse since that's what you do with your finger in the real thing. Disconnect is on the yoke.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I use "z" to connect the (left) AP. (or click the AP button on the MCP with the mouse.

To disconnect, FSUIPC is used to map the PMDG default key select CTRL SHIFT Z (I think, from memory) to a button on my yoke.

Rob Robson

Hi all,

Many thanks for jumping into thris thread!

@Irishcurse: good idea. I have FSUIPC registered but so far I've used it only for extending the aircraft battery. Yeah it is time I experiment the joystick calibration and assignment functionalities.

@Alpha Floor: I am not trying to disconnect the A/P with the A/P bar. What I want is to activate the A/P after initial climb, that is the "A/P" button on the MCP.

@kevinh: I read the manual but did not remember about "key assignment system provided with the sim" so I will re-read the introduction manual.

@Tabs: Oh I see! Ryan, since you read this thread, you have my gratitude for writing the tutorial flight. There are so few pdf tutorial nowadays... So when there is a quality one, clear and well written, it is very valuable especially for non native english speakers like me (I have difficulty to follow videos turorial on YouTube). Can't wait to read your 2nd tutorial in SP1.

@777simmer: How did you succeed to use "z" to connect the (left) AP since Tabs said "If you just assign the normal FSX "z" command (in the FSX controller settings) to the button it will work for disconnects"

- TONY -

Here's a video that kinda sums all this up:

Hope it helps!

Kyle Rodgers

Good video Kyle :-)

@Tony

I have no idea what Ryan meant. In my FMC, the "z" key was pre-assigned by PMDG to the left AP switch. So it will engage it only!

Is this different in your FMC?

Have you tried hitting the "z" key?

That does not connect the AP for you?

Rob Robson

@kevinh: I read the manual but did not remember about "key assignment system provided with the sim" so I will re-read the introduction manual.

It's easy to miss stuff. Page 91 is where key assignment is described.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi all,

Please forgive me for my late reply.

So here is the happy end thanks to all your suggestions and ideas.

I could not assign "engage/connect A/P" function directly to a joystick button.

However, "Z" key works. So with FSUIP registered I programmed a joystick button to emulate "Z" keystroke. And it works.

I also read again the Page 91 of the Manual about key assignment and will remember that for future needs.

Thanks to all.

- TONY -