been lurking for a while but now found something I would appreciate help with. Would this set up be sufficient for fsx?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24916965

Thanks for any help,

Miles

If you can wait till July get the new Haswell refresh chips (devils canyon) and a Z97 motherboard so you can upgrade at some point it appears that the Z87s are gonna be a one trick pony IE since they upcomming broadwells wont run on them. Another reason to wait for the new chips is they will feature a new TIM and better overclocking features. I'd get a larger power supply as well $105 is a lot for 550Watt 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If you can wait till July get the new Haswell refresh chips (devils canyon) and a Z97 motherboard so you can upgrade at some point it appears that the Z87s are gonna be a one trick pony IE since they upcomming broadwells wont run on them. Another reason to wait for the new chips is they will feature a new TIM and better overclocking features. I'd get a larger power supply as well $105 is a lot for 550Watt 

Thank you for the reply, some question however.

When new things appear, is there a high risk of beta testing a lemon?

(do you think the z87-A board on the list is from the same batch that rolled out two or so years ago when it was originally released or do boards improve over time during their production run the last batch being the best version?)

When a new chip and board release what happens to the old combo, does it go on sale?

Was Haswell's TIM supposed to be better then IVY's?

As far as the the power supply is concerned, neweggxpert said the corsair PSU at 750w I was going to buy for 80 was built bad and mentioned I didn't need more then 450w for the rig anyway. End result, seasonic 105 550w.

I did not know z97s and a new Broadwell were due in July, thank you for that. I wonder if I wait, will I be able to get a discount on what I have picked out here, like a clearance sale, I don't remember IVYs prices being discounted when Haswells was released.

Thank you for the reply, some question however.

When new things appear, is there a high risk of beta testing a lemon?

(do you think the z87-A board on the list is from the same batch that rolled out two or so years ago when it was originally released or do boards improve over time during their production run the last batch being the best version?)

When a new chip and board release what happens to the old combo, does it go on sale?

As far as the the power supply is concerned, neweggxpert said the corsair PSU at 750w I was going to buy for 80 was built bad and mentioned I didn't need more then 450w for the rig anyway. End result, seasonic 105 550w.

I did not know z97s and a new Broadwell were due in July, thank you for that. I wonder if I wait, will I be able to get a discount on what I have picked out here, like a clearance sale, I don't remember IVYs prices being discounted when Haswells was released.

Broad well is due in November but refresh is due in july. As for the mobo if you get a decent brand they come with either a 3 year or 5 year warranty so even if you got a lemon (very unlikly) you could get it replaced for free most of the times mobo issues are fixed with new firmware the basic build of the board never changes. I have an 850 watt corsair and I love it been going strong for a year and a half with no issues remember that if you go with the bare minimum of wattage your making the power supply work a lot harder which will lead to failure plus when you upgrade in the future you'll have to buy another power supply.

As for discounts I have no clue

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Same. From what I've read you can at best hope to overclock them to around 4.2 GHz without delidding and replacing Intel's gunk with something like Coollaboratory Liquid pro. I did that and I'm running my 4670K at 4.6 with very reasonable temps. However, since the process involves taking a brand new and delicate piece of high tech, putting it in a vice and hitting it with a hammer I can see why you wouldn't want to.

I've had three Corsair PSUs and never had a problem with any of them. I find them very capable and silent.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Broad well is due in November but refresh is due in july. As for the mobo if you get a decent brand they come with either a 3 year or 5 year warranty so even if you got a lemon (very unlikly) you could get it replaced for free most of the times mobo issues are fixed with new firmware the basic build of the board never changes. I have an 850 watt corsair and I love it been going strong for a year and a half with no issues remember that if you go with the bare minimum of wattage your making the power supply work a lot harder which will lead to failure plus when you upgrade in the future you'll have to buy another power supply.
As for discounts I have no clue

Thank you again for the information, I agree with you about upgrading path, it why originally I was looking at the 750w PSU, I was surprised the "xpert" beat down corsair as a brand too. I believe the PSU is probably the most easily piece to continue it's life in a new build, that and the case.

Same. From what I've read you can at best hope to overclock them to around 4.2 GHz without delidding and replacing Intel's gunk with something like Coollaboratory Liquid pro. I did that and I'm running my 4670K at 4.6 with very reasonable temps. However, since the process involves taking a brand new and delicate piece of high tech, putting it in a vice and hitting it with a hammer I can see why you wouldn't want to.

last I checked ivy was razor blades, now you need a vice and hammer, I was already skiddish.

The razor blade method works as well but it's easy to accidentally cut into the memory controllers and scratching the PCB can also damage the processor. Most people recommend the vice and hammer method these days.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I've had three Corsair PSUs and never had a problem with any of them. I find them very capable and silent.

Ha, my Corsair HX850 blew up a few days ago. Shorted badly and took out my surge suppressor and the fuse in the plug. [We have fuses in our plugs in the UK] It was 4 years old.

I now have a Seasonic X 1050 watt waiting to be installed. Went for high wattage as I may go for SLI some time in the future.

Most people recommend the vice and hammer method these days.

I'm VERY surprised if that's the case. Doesn't sound too sensible to generate a shockwave and allow it to propagate through a chip.

I know some do it, but sensible... not so sure.

Ha, my Corsair HX850 blew up a few days ago. Shorted badly and took out my surge suppressor and the fuse in the plug.

Well, name one company that's never shipped a bad unit. Most people seem to be perfectly happy with their Corsair PSUs.

I'm VERY surprised if that's the case. Doesn't sound too sensible to generate a shockwave and allow it to propagate through a chip.

I know some do it, but sensible... not so sure.

Never said it sounded sensible. I still think it sounds idiotic but it worked for me. :)

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Well, name one company that's never shipped a bad unit. Most people seem to be perfectly happy with their Corsair PSUs.

Oh yes, I'm nor saying Corsair don't make quality PSU's. Just found it ironic that mine failed just prior to reading the post.

Never said it sounded sensible. I still think it sounds idiotic but it worked for me. :)

Haha, fair enough, if it worked, it worked.

I have a 4670K that run Aida Fpu test @5.0ghz Not Delidd, delidd only give you lower temps on the same clock if your lucky you gain 100mhz., have delidded a 4770k and 3770k.

The most important is to be very Lucky in the Chip Lotteria Delidding dont make a golden chip from a bad one.

To clearify my thougts a little bit more.

I did a Aida64 FPU test on two 4670K with same hardware cooling and settings, ambient 22C.
Both Cpus Not Delidded.

Cpu1. 4.5ghz at 1.35v Vcore stable in the Aida64 FPU test, it pass 4.6GHZ at 1.42V (really high temps).
      This Cpu is not a good Cpu just a normal one that 50% of the buyer get.

Cpu2. 5.0ghz at 1.35V Vcore stable in Aida64 FPU test.
      This is a really good Chip approx 1% or less is this good.

Hardware.

The tests is done on a Bench table , you get sligtly lower temps than in a chassi.

4670K Vcore 1.35v
Noctua NH-C14
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
Team LV2600