Sign in to follow this  
macy

MD-11 tutorial flight

I've run the MD-11 tutorial flight EGLL-LSZH. on approach my doesn't decrease which leads to me performing a missed approach. Everything else works fine. any suggestions on my speed issues?

You are giving no detail about what you are doing to control speed. What AP modes are you using?

Peter Schluter

This is the tutorial flight, as per the documentation that you print off it says the speed will be controlled by the FMC. The tutorial states if i'm above 250kts when i reach 10000' the plane will level out in order to achieve that speed before descending below 10000'. that isn't happening. This is supposed to be a auto land. i lower flaps when it says i should but i always get a flap over speed. bottom line whatever speed is in the FMC its not following it. 

This is the tutorial flight, as per the documentation that you print off it says the speed will be controlled by the FMC. The tutorial states if i'm above 250kts when i reach 10000' the plane will level out in order to achieve that speed before descending below 10000'. that isn't happening. This is supposed to be a auto land. i lower flaps when it says i should but i always get a flap over speed. bottom line whatever speed is in the FMC its not following it. 

Good Question for any one who is new to the MD11 

Forget about the book   and Please always  Look at charts first to make sure at what altitude u should be and the speed ,,,    then please confirm with FMC  90% of the time I have to adjust the speed and the altitude  on one or 2  way points before landing witch is normal

Keep an Eye on the FMC and you will know what I am talking about 

hop this helps

@PSCHLUTE   I agree 100%     

Macy  I did not understand your Question  and was unable to answer until I seen the other 2 members answer you   please give more specific Details 

thank u 

thanks i will try that tonight. i guess i was assuming my speeds would be controlled throughout the enitre decent by the FMC. I'm still getting familar with the MD-11 so learning how to control my speeds through the FMC is something i need to learn.

thanks i will try that tonight. i guess i was assuming my speeds would be controlled throughout the enitre decent by the FMC. I'm still getting familar with the MD-11 so learning how to control my speeds through the FMC is something i need to learn.

:good:

I had the same problem with overspeed during the descent. I was going faster than the speed the FMC called for, so I just controlled it with small amounts of spoiler.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I had the same problem with overspeed during the descent. I was going faster than the speed the FMC called for, so I just controlled it with small amounts of spoiler.

Thats A good point          are U adjusting your spoiler   Macy ??   I also forgot to tell him that 

Never thought about the spoilers that's a good point thanks 

will try tonight and let you know

When flying a PROF descent, it is possible to "overspeed", both during the initial descent from cruise FL, and when below 10,000 feet. PROF is similar to VNAV PATH on a Boeing a/c, it is a vertical profile , not a speed-controlled descent. You need to monitor speed and use the spoilers if needed.

If flying a descent with tight speed constrants below 10,000, switch to Level Change mode, and use manual control of speed with the dial on the MCP. This , combined with spoilers will give you greater control.

Peter Schluter

In hundreds of MD-11 flights, I can count on my two hands the times I have not had to use the speed brakes on descent from cruise to maintain 280 knot speed. I think the several times I have not used the speed brakes, the entered descent forecast just happened to be right on the money.

Then between 11000 and say 6000 it is manual control of the speed and once I see everything is under control I will press the FMS button letting the computer control the speed. As you extend the flaps and loose the use of the speed brakes you can always lower the landing gear early. It has the same effect as the speed brakes.

Michael Cubine