Sign in to follow this  
ethan_hines

Mindstar G1000

I bought the Garmin G1000 from Mindstar thinking it would give me a better idea what a real G1000 would be like in flight. Boy was I wrong! First unlike the Carendo's version of the G1000 (which changes per airplane) Terrain Does not work. Worst of all if you plan an IFR plan in the default FSX flight planer a)it will not display in the G1000 and if you do the reverse b)plan the flight with the G1000 in the FSX flight planer it only shows as if it's Waypoint to Waypoint annnd if you attempt to get IFR clearance from ATC after using the G1000 to plan a route FSX crashes! I am extremely disappointed with Mindstar's version of G1000. Yes I admit it's far better than the default G1000 in FSX but common this is 2014 not 2001 the G1000 is (or should be) standard equipment in a GA airplane. Oh and did I mention that the price $49USD does not include an updated AIRAC??!

-Chris

What a timely post!

I was (just today as a matter of fact) considering getting the Mindstar G1000. Your comments have convinced me to spend my money elsewhere; thank you so very much for posting your observations.

For a quality G1000 implementation, consider the Flight1 offerings..  C182T, Mustang, King Air..

Bert

But the mindstar one is more realistic. In real life you manually enter FP info etc... Not sure about terrain

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Not sure where you are going with this...  you can manually enter flightplan data into either one...

If you want realistic.. have a look a the MFD map(s)

:unsure:

Bert

The OP seemed upset that a FP entered via FSX planner would not go into the MS unit.

This is correct - just like RXP - more realistic to type in your FP.

I don't own the MS unit I'm just pointing out the fact that it's not more realistic to use FSX flight planner and expect the FP to show up in MS or RXP (for example).

The fact that FMS by addon devs can do that (import FSX FP) amazes me. People who fly big jets typically are into button mashing but they shy away from entering a flight plan lol....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The OP seemed upset that a FP entered via FSX planner would not go into the MS unit.

This is correct - just like RXP - more realistic to type in your FP.

I don't own the MS unit I'm just pointing out the fact that it's not more realistic to use FSX flight planner and expect the FP to show up in MS or RXP (for example).

The fact that FMS by addon devs can do that (import FSX FP) amazes me. People who fly big jets typically are into button mashing but they shy away from entering a flight plan lol....

I second that.

Entering a flightplan via the FSX "stock" flightplanner is not realistic.

It may be a nice feature, but with due respect:

It does not make a 3rd party GPS more realistic.

The same goes out to the "interaction" between stock FSX-ATC and an entered flightplan because stock FSX-ATC only recognizes FSX-format flightplans.

One way to work around this "limitation" is to get some dedicated 3rd party flightplanner which can also copy a flightplan into the FSX pln.-format.

All nothing new and some research in advance would have helped a lot.

Now please do not ge me wrong here, but fact is that all this is also clearly pointed out at the Mindstar website, where it is clearly stated that the G1000 unit is not compatible with FSX's flight planning functions:

http://www.mindstaraviation.com/G1000_Selection.html

The same goes out to the Navdata.

If i remember correctly all dedicated 3rd party GPS or accurately implemented GPS units such as Flight1's B200 G1000 require some kind of continuous updates which are liable to pay costs.

Sure the AIRAC as it was shipped with any package can always be used, but will become outdated rather quickly.

But then again:

This is not a Mindstar exclusive thing.

:smile:

I realise you simmers have much more experience than I when it comes to Gauges etc....but what irks me is How can i Fly IFR with Mindstar's rendition of the G1000 if after manually entering in a flight plan (as in real life) in the MFD and pressing the ATC key and "request IFR Clearance" so I can get Vectors-to-Final it CTD? Why should someone pay for that? And as for keeping the Nav Data up to date I realise that even Reallity XP requires a subscription for keeping the Nav Data up to date. But why not allow for a standard NavDatabase like Navigraph instead of an obscure Database that AFAIK is used only for the Mindstar software i.e RealNav? And have I mentioned that Mindstar's policy of only being able to authorize twice. In other words if you format your PC you can only install the software twice before you get this message. What software company in the world after paying restricts you to 2 installs??! I can only think I one MICROSOFT and that's based on some algorithm that detects if indeed the software is on 2 (TWO) separate PC's at the same time. 

Mindstar_activtion_denial2.jpg

And this is the message you get if you try to update.....

Mindstar_update_denial.jpg

And finally their messgage board http://www.mindstarprods.com/cgi-bin/avforum/board.pl is SOL too.....

Carenado's version is actually Microsoft's XML version of a G1000 that does very little. While their aircraft are visually stunning... well... the G1000 isn't much more than what Microsoft had already written.

Terrain requires a database for which you can't get on a $50 entertainment product. That database is extremely expensive. I haven't seen Carenado's 'terrain' display... but I'm willing to bet it's not really the actual G1000 terrain display but rather the topographic display with custom colors. That's not the way a real G1000 displays terrain... since we're discussing real.

As for the flight plan situation. Funny thing... but, we do things the way we do because of a few FS bugs.

- First bug is where the default FS flight plan system will sequence waypoints incorrectly. I'm talking real world waypoints, not the cheesy FS flight planner waypoints. There actually is a difference, but it's a really expensive book (~$500) to learn what it is.

- Second bug is where if we want to define a custom flight plan, we can... but the sim flat out refuses to see it as an IFR flight plan. Not much we can do about that at all.

Reality XP offers zero updating of any navigation data. Zero. I have no idea where you get the idea it's even possible let alone that they offer a subscription. Neither are true. Neither.

As for 'standard'... while Navigraph has been selling to the home entertainment market the longest... they are not a standard, nor is their database the most accurate. There is a great deal of information that a GNS provides that literally doesn't exist in the Navigraph database. It's pretty much stuff that home entertainment users will never notice is gone... however, our units are primarily used for real world training, so what is in the database is very important.

As for number of installations... have no idea how you managed to go through two that quickly. The installer does it's job correctly, first time. Why would you need to install more than once? Oh, and comparing us to Microsoft (a company that's made more income than all of us at AVSIM combined).. thanks for the compliment.

The update system is offline... what's the issue? You just purchased... you have the latest version.

As for our forums, they were hacked quite a while back and there's just no valid reason for us to bother with forums. We don't have the time to deal with idiots who want to hack things.

Now... we do have a top-notch support system. So... aside from wanting to complain about things we've already disclosed prior to purchase... if there's a technical support issue you need help with... use our support email.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Keep the Mindstar G1000, get the data, forget the darn flight planner, and fly on PilotEdge or Vatsim. I haven't used in game ATC since 2008, just sayin'.

James McLees