Sign in to follow this  
16wiebeke

Curious. Add-on scenery question

Hey, I've noticed that FSX runs considerably smoother when running add-on scenery such as PNW.

Is this normal? Just curious as to why it would be like this because it's more complex.

My computer specs are 

windows 7 home premium 64 bit

intel core i5 3.00GHZ

amd hd 7790

8 g ram

So a decent set up I guess.

Just wondering if it would be the same if I ran FSDT vancouver or JFK. Or would that be to intense for my system. 

If it is what could I improve?

Some addons are definitely able to give you better performance than the default scenery at the same location. This is, I think, due to the better optimization and the better use of the hardware available.

I have had the same observation at and around KSEA in PNW (quite noticable) and FSDT's JFK airport, but at JFK it wasn't that much a difference, and for me that airport (I'M using the oldversion) is still prone to OOMs anyway. As for Vanouver, I don't know, but I have heard mixed things - some had very good (but not sure if better) performance, others said their sim was not running smooth at all there. The good thing about FSDT is that you can download their demos first to see whether your sim runs smooth(er) with it.

But I would not recommend addon sceneries as the solution to an "unsmooth" FSX, the risk of it going all wrong is simply too high! And usually, scenery addons perform no better than default, simply because they are way more complex.

As for Vanouver, I don't know, but I have heard mixed things - some had very good (but not sure if better) performance, others said their sim was not running smooth at all there.

I noticed quite a FPS drop at that airport. More than any FSDT airport I have. It's a great airport but quite tough on FPS for me at least. 

Had the same problem, now fixed by converting to DX-10 and also using Steve's DX-10 fixer.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Okay thanks guys. I've decides not to go for Vancouver because I don't think my computer can handle it.