Hi all-

I'm quite new here to the avsim forums, and mainly fly X-Plane 10. However I also wish to add FSX to my library of sims- and it has come to my attention that I will need to purchase a more powerful PC in order to fuel my flight simming hobby. I use a laptop at the moment, and I really love the portability, especially because of the work I do. Recently I came across the Chillblast Tiger Moth, a laptop designed with FSX in mind. (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Tiger-Moth-Flight-Sim-Laptop.html)

I read a review on it in PC Pilot, and from what I read the preformance was excellent. I am looking to run addons such as the PMDG 777 and NGX, FSDT sceneries, ORBX, etc. I was wondering if someone from the community here would be able to provide some advice on wether the laptop would be sufficient to run these payware add ons with good FPS. (20-25). Thanks in advance!

Hi all-

I'm quite new here to the avsim forums, and mainly fly X-Plane 10. However I also wish to add FSX to my library of sims- and it has come to my attention that I will need to purchase a more powerful PC in order to fuel my flight simming hobby. I use a laptop at the moment, and I really love the portability, especially because of the work I do. Recently I came across the Chillblast Tiger Moth, a laptop designed with FSX in mind. (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Tiger-Moth-Flight-Sim-Laptop.html)

I read a review on it in PC Pilot, and from what I read the preformance was excellent. I am looking to run addons such as the PMDG 777 and NGX, FSDT sceneries, ORBX, etc. I was wondering if someone from the community here would be able to provide some advice on wether the laptop would be sufficient to run these payware add ons with good FPS. (20-25). Thanks in advance!

Any ноут will not pull FSX

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'll save you some time. In a word no. You will be able to run fsx, but not with those addons with 20+ FPS.

I would check out the hardware forum. There's a hardware guide that will help.

supporter.jpg

There are really two ways to go about it. One you can assemble everything yourself from the guides of suggested hardware than have you or somebody else who knows how to build computers put it together for you. Or you can get a custom made computer that comes with everything ready to go. However if you're going to go that route you're gonna  spend a lot more money but at the same time your system will be ready to go with everything you want installed. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I'll save you some time. In a word no. You will be able to run fsx, but not with those addons with 20+ FPS.

I would check out the hardware forum. There's a hardware guide that will help.

Huh, interesting. In the PC Pilot review the reviewer mentioned that he was able to achieve around 25FPS while running ORBX scenery with the PMDG MD-11, and 50FPS with Carenado aircraft. 

Well I can run FSX on my 6 year old laptop and get 25 FPS. That's with sliders to the left.

It depends on the level of immersion that you want. Please read the hardware guide. It will save you time and money in the long run.

supporter.jpg

Well I can run FSX on my 6 year old laptop and get 25 FPS. That's with sliders to the left.

It depends on the level of immersion that you want. Please read the hardware guide. It will save you time and money in the long run.

Understood. When you mention hardware guide, is that what you are referring to?

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/pri-news/avsim-software-and-hardware-guide-for-fsx-r1032

I get an error message when trying to click on the provided link. 

Yeah, wierd. 

I was going to ask, did you purchase your PC, or custom build it yourself? Your specs look really good. I am wondering if I should go the 'built it yourself' route, I would save quite a bit of money it seems. Plus one of my family members works in IT, he would put it together for free for me. 

Did a quick google search and managed to find it:

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/PDF%20bestanden/FS_Guide%20for%20FSX%20DX10%20en%20DX11_Avsim_1-2013.pdf

Very informative- will have to have a good read through this. 

Yes definitely custom build it's not hard. And if you get into a bind there are places that will build to spec. Prices have come down substantially but don't get cheap. Use intel processors and nvidia gpus and you'll be fine. And get a chip that over clocks well.

And don't let non sim people tell you how to build your pc. Follow the guide!

Pro tip:

I would leave enough room in your case for sli. I think Lockheed Martin may have a fix for us in the next year. That's my hopeful speculation.

supporter.jpg

That's actually a decent laptop in general.

You should be ok as long as you don't crank your sliders (especially no bloom or self shadowing in dx9)

I think you could do 15-20 fps with those addons you mention.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |