Sign in to follow this  
troyk

737 is still awesome!

Hi guys, after a few weeks break (and after hearing todays weather forecast) I decided to jump back into the 737 cockpit and fly from NZAA to NZWN. What an amazing experience. Wet Rocky and Wild! NZWN is decent at the best of times but in todays gusty wet windy and woeful weather it was just an awesome experience. Yes the 777 sp1 may be hot on everyone's lips but the good old 737 is far from dead. Don't you agree? Best flight of the week mid-afternoon today NZ time.

p.s. ASN compulsory!

I encourage every 777 owner to purchase this aircraft if they don't already have it, it's very cool.

I hope PMDG continue to update it. I think it has a lot of life in it.

I hope PMDG continue to update it. I think it has a lot of life in it.

That's the plan, though I'm sure certain members of the forum will sit here and whine endlessly that it's taken forever, which clearly means it's never gonna happen.

...despite the fact that the most of the point of SP2 would be to integrate advantages realized in the 777, which will only be "mature" (in the software sense), post SP1...

...but logic isn't common, which is why I get paid to do what I do...

Kyle Rodgers

That's the plan

Excellent!

I want to actually visit this little piece of heaven called New Zealand in the real world.

One thing I dislike in coming to forums is the lack of appreciation that tends to show up on a regular basis.

Are we there yet, turns to is it fixed yet, turns to ............

As Troy mentioned, a long life is forthcoming for this beauty of "Code of 0's and 1's", and it is if you have the time more hands on than the T7.

Jaime, yes she is a "tiny" bit older, but the Level-D 767 is still active on my sim too.

Waleed N

I couldn't agree more, the 737 is just fantastic. I just landed at LTFE (Milas Bodrum, Turkey) after a short hop from Istanbul. Encountered some decent storm fronts just South of Istanbul courtesy of ASN.

And to emphasize how much I agree with the OP about his views on the 737, this is my second flight in the 737 today. I have been known to do more than two, or three ... depending on the work schedule and the whims of that 8 pound tyrant sleeping on the sofa at the moment.

I want to actually visit this little piece of heaven called New Zealand in the real world.

Don't. The climate is crap here. It's all just Lord of the Rings marketing bollocks! I'm actually thinking of moving to The Gold Coast in Queensland Australia for more sun.

p.s. I hope the NZ Gvt isn't reading this or I'm screwed.

Thanks for the heads up, bummer.

No need to worry there Troy, I complain loudly all the time and I have not been "Re-educated" yet.

Then again I am an equal opportunity complainer when it comes to governments worldwide.

Wait, who invited the suits, where are you taking me??????

Run Troy Run.

Waleed N

At the risk of being beaten to a pulp in this forum - I actually much prefer the 737 to the 777.

Whilst the exterior of the T7 is amazing, to my eye the virtual cockpit is kind of...well, bland. I don't know what it is, it just seems a little lifeless to me.

The 737 on the other hand seems to have a lot more character. I tried to get into the T7 and still do the odd flight, but most of my flying these days is in the 737.

Each to their own I guess.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

...but logic isn't common, which is why I get paid to do what I do...

........And here was me thinking you did it for the love of it. lol

Dave Taylor gb.png

The 737 on the other hand seems to have a lot more character. I tried to get into the T7 and still do the odd flight, but most of my flying these days is in the 737.

It's definitely more interactive, I'll give it that much.  I feel like I don't do as much in the 777.

........And here was me thinking you did it for the love of it. lol

haha - my day job isn't at all related to the aviation realm (currently).  That's what I was referring to.

Kyle Rodgers

Agree although the workload will no doubt increase on the 777 with the introduction of the WX Radar. Especially here in the land of the "Long White Cloud" - a common NZ nickname along with "The Shaky Isles" (a reference to our constant earthquake activity). Oh yea, and the beloved city I live in "Auckland" is built amongst 53 volcanic cones on an active volcanic field. That's Middle Earth for ya. Enjoy!

KL Oo, on 06 May 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

It's definitely more interactive, I'll give it that much. I feel like I don't do as much in the 777.

Agreed - I think thats one of the issues I have with it. I realise I don't drive it to its full potential, but compared to the 737 I just don't feel I have as much involvement with the aircraft.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

It seems to me that the NGX requires a lot more attention than the 777. Especially on descent and landing when trying to comply with speed and altitude constraints. 2 1/2 years after release I am still trying different combinations of VNAV, LVL CHG, and V/S to keep the plane from getting away from me. It's a real challenge and I enjoy that. What could make it better? SP2, WXR, etc. I don't think so. A lot of people that don't know what they are doing, think SP2 is going to solve their problems. Not quite!