Sign in to follow this  
KavindaJD

What Aircraft do you use for Aerocache Hunts?

Aerocache Hunts.... A great activity to carry out every day, but what aircraft do you use for these activities?

Personally, my favorite is the RV-6 Blue Ribbon. It helps me get to the Aerocache as fast as possible whilst having a little bit of stability and control for Quick turns when the Aerocache tacker starts to change!

I’ve most likely used the RV-6 the most, second the Carbon Cub, third the Red Tail, and fourth the Maule. I have a fair amount of time in the Red Tail, because when they started the Aerocaches in Alaska, I would start from wherever I was at, and fly it to the starting airport. Or to an airport nearby that could handle the P-51; Change to the RV-6 or CC and go hunt it up. I also would turn off the Aerocache indicator and just go by the information provided to hunt them. However there were a few times I had to turn it on to find it. Usually this was due to errors in the information provided.

I personally don’t like how the Maule fly’s. To me the Maule should fly like the CC on steroids, but it doesn’t! A number of my crashes are due to it, what I considered bad takeoff and landing performance. Granted I have never personally flown a Maule, but from the aircraft I have flown, and my understanding of the meaning of Stol, it doesn’t perform like a Stol aircraft to me.

One other thing, I just started last week flying in Multiplayer, why I did not do it sooner is beyond me!

Take care up there, and a good day to all. B)

I probably split 1/2 and 1/2 between the RV and the CC. They are a great combination for most aerocaches. If I really get frisky, I'll take the F4U out for a hunt. Not often though.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I never liked the Maule much either. It is much more sensitive to weight and balance and maybe that is correct, I don't know.  Often hard to get off a short runway with out hitting the trees. The Carbon Cub and the RV are much more fun when maneuvering close to the hard deck after an aerocache.

Steve

Steve,

One thing I've been doing that helps me in short takes offs with the Maule is, at about halfway down the runway I will increase prop pitch a little so that it is biting a little more air. And for landings, I slow it down to minimum controllable air speed with a long approach, theoretically.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would help with the Maule, i'm sure. With the CC you can fly abeam of the runway, chop the power, dump full flaps and almost point it straight down as you make the turn from base to final to maintain flying speed. Great fun, used to have to demonstrate that with a C-150  during training for my PPL in the RW.

Steve

I always use the RV-6 but depending on the altitude and location, I sometimes go for the CC. I have never used the Maule for an Aerocache Hut; only for my Cargo needs.

Thanks for the great flying tips Steve and J.R! :lol:

Steve - I agree with you on the Maule.  It has been my least favorite plane since I got it.

I can't believe that there is no more rudder authority on roll out than is depicted in Flight. I think that if this were the case, we would hear about a bunch of bent Maule's.  I've found that using the mouse to control direction on the runway on takeoff is nearly impossible. The only way I've been able to do it successfully is to set the throttle at about 75%. Anything much greater and you get an uncontrollable turn.  When I use my rudder pedals, it still takes almost full rudder to counteract the torque turn that's present.

If I get a chance at the next SNF and I see a Maule M7, I'll talk to the owner and see what he has to say.  Until then, the Maule stays in the hangar.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

The Maule in Microsoft Flight has a few bugs that haven't been fixed unfortunately. One of them is that you need to have the propeller at 80% for take-off.

I don't like it either, but I really like the FSX version.

I've had this problem for a while, since I always push the throttle to full when I take off and the Maule just turns off the runway. This bug unfortunately ended my first Clandestine! I went for a takeoff and the Maule swept right off the runway and into the water!  :(

It would have been great to have an introductory lesson/mission to the Maule... would have made things much easier!

I've had this problem for a while, since I always push the throttle to full when I take off and the Maule just turns off the runway. This bug unfortunately ended my first Clandestine! I went for a takeoff and the Maule swept right off the runway and into the water!  :(

It would have been great to have an introductory lesson/mission to the Maule... would have made things much easier!

This is another bug that can be "fixed" by going into the Flight Assistant and ticking on "Propeller Effects".

This is another bug that can be "fixed" by going into the Flight Assistant and ticking on "Propeller Effects".

Learning one more thing everyday! Thanks Chaotic!

Like others, mostly the RV for speed and handling. CC is favorite but too slow to cover distance. Occasionally a P-51 or other 'fast' mover.

I've occasionally used the flaps with Maul during take off to try to gain extra lift as the end of the runway approaches. Not sure if it helped.

I just reread my post about the Maule and want to correct what I said. "To me the Maule should fly like the CC on steroids" is incorrect, what I meant to say is, the Maule should preform like the CC or a Cub on steroids. :wacko:

Good flying to all