Sign in to follow this  
FSX-Fan2013

Engine Fire

Hello,

I've got just a little question. When I have an engine fire, I am always able to extinguish the fire. Is it also possible, that that i may be unable to extinguish the fire? If yes, do I have to set that in the Menu in the FMC or does that happens sometimes automatically?

When I have an engine fire, I am always able to extinguish the fire. Is it also possible, that that i may be unable to extinguish the fire? If yes, do I have to set that in the Menu in the FMC or does that happens sometimes automatically?

First, it posted (there's a forum glitch - not entirely your fault that it posted multiple times, though it's always good to check before spamming the button  :wink: )

Second, I'm not sure.  I'm sure there are real world scenarios where it won't extinguish, but I'm sure they're even more unlikely than an engine fire to begin with.  I'm not aware of any setting to force that.

Kyle Rodgers

Just curious: Why would you want to be unable to extinguish the fire?

Don't use the fire extinguishers if you want the fire there...

Maybe he wants to simulate a fire that couldn't be put out. It could happen. In the big sim, sometimes the fires go out with one bottle or two. Or not at all. I don't know of a 737 that has had a fire that didn't go out, though.

Matt Cee

Maybe he wants to simulate a fire that couldn't be put out. It could happen. In the big sim, sometimes the fires go out with one bottle or two. Or not at all. I don't know of a 737 that has had a fire that didn't go out, though.

Say you could have a fire that wouldn't go out. It would make no difference on the procedure, right?

You'd still land as soon as possible, fire still there or not.

On the real plane you're never completely sure if there are still hot spots on the engine, if there's been any severe damage etc... You just land ASAP.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Or not at all. I don't know of a 737 that has had a fire that didn't go out, though.

Few years ago D-AXLF (B738) landed with engine in fire. Every fire goes out... eventually.  :P

Say you could have a fire that wouldn't go out. It would make no difference on the procedure, right?

You would evacuate on the Runway/Taxiway for example.

You'd still land as soon as possible, fire still there or not.

On the real plane you're never completely sure if there are still hot spots on the engine, if there's been any severe damage etc... You just land ASAP.

Hmmm. I think you're going to run the QRH the same, but let's say you're at the ETP at FL220, half way to Maui from Seattle. The fire goes out. Keep truckin'.

The fire doesn't go out. . .  hmmmm. 3 hours from land with a wing burning. . . and, Captain, the fire is getting worse. . . the passengers are screaming, Captain. . . the first officer just widdled himself. . . o gosh!

Plus, some simmers want to see certain things. Eg "Have you gotten that awesome marshaller add-on with the guy with the correct color vest at ZSQD? So awesome!"

Matt Cee

Have you gotten that awesome marshaller add-on with the guy with the correct color vest at ZSQD? So awesome!

Oh gawd...don't get me started.

I love the GSX add-on that's all "That wasn't a very good parking!!!" when you have the plane perfectly on the line, with the wheel right on your aircraft's hash mark.  Ramp ops are beyond messed up on Flight Sim add-ons, mostly because (like a lot of other things), the developers assume it's a rigid thing.

When I was working ground ops for Air [state], I'm pretty sure there was a different procedure for just about every airline we worked with: LOF, BTA, ASQ (they were separate at the time), CJC (they existed at the time), RPA, GJC, and ASH.

One operator only allowed us to use their GPUs, another required airstairs for half of their Lawn Darts, another only allowed their own airstairs for all of their Lawn Darts, another required a special box to step down the power off of the wall unit, another allowed the torque links to be disconnected on their Reset Jets while the others didn't.  Heck, even terminal to terminal things were different: no directional pushes off of the A gates (only straight back), while the C/D gates occasionally instructed them.  For the CRJ7s and E170s, only a single engine was allowed to be started during the push (regardless of operator) because our crappy Lektro tugs couldn't handle the idle thrust plus all of the weight.

In FSX?  You're not even out remotely away from the gate and half the add-ons are all "yeah, go ahead and spin all engines."  Never mind the fact that a 777's two-engine idle thrust can easily overpower some of the push back tugs out there.

Kyle Rodgers

In FSX? You're not even out remotely away from the gate and half the add-ons are all "yeah, go ahead and spin all engines." Never mind the fact that a 777's two-engine idle thrust can easily overpower some of the push back tugs out there.
Haha. I basically ignore everything it says. "Cleared to start", "That wasn't very good parking". Pfft!

One thing you can do with the pushback is edit the sound to add, say, 30 seconds silence between "starting push" and "cleared to start engines".

Haha. I basically ignore everything it says. "Cleared to start", "That wasn't very good parking". Pfft!

Yeah, that's what I end up doing as well.  I wonder how many simmers think it's nearly impossible to do things in aviation because of programs like this...

Kyle Rodgers

Sometimes I get annoyed when AES takes about 2 seconds to complete Tow and equipment disconnection right after pushback.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Ahhh so this is the active thread (there are three of these)!

So, since all you pilots have your engine fire caps on, here is a question:

We'll assume the engine fire detection and protection systems are working properly, meaning they themselves have no failures. So the question to ponder is: can you get a full on engine fire warning in the cockpit and not actually have a fire on that engine?

Hmmm. I think you're going to run the QRH the same, but let's say you're at the ETP at FL220, half way to Maui from Seattle. The fire goes out. Keep truckin'.

The fire doesn't go out. . .  hmmmm. 3 hours from land with a wing burning. . . and, Captain, the fire is getting worse. . . the passengers are screaming, Captain. . . the first officer just widdled himself. . . o gosh!

Oh well, let's hope USCG cutter Pontchartrain is nearby...

So the question to ponder is: can you get a full on engine fire warning in the cockpit and not actually have a fire on that engine?

Good question... of course you always have a fire in the engine...