Sign in to follow this  
NWATech

Is it neccessary to reverse thrust on the taxiway when departing the airport?

Guest citybus2200

qustions again!Is it neccessary to reverse thrust on the taxiway when departing the airport?Cheers,citybus2200

Some aircraft with high-mounted engines (models like the MD-80/90, Boeing 717) have the ability to do a "power-back", which uses reverse thrust from the engines to push back from the gates.But aside from that, aircraft probably don't need to use reverse thrust when taxiing - wheel brakes and nosewheel steering are usually enough to maneuver the aircraft. The typical aircraft will only use reverse thrust when landing.

That's funny! Back in October 2003, at the National Business Aviation Association conference held in Orlando, FL, I saw a couple of business jets taxiing to parking and all of a sudden they opened the reversers to slow down. I guess they were trying to save the brakes or thought they needed the extra braking so as not to run over the follow-me golfcart.I also saw then exercise the reversers during taxi to taxioff. I assume they were going through the checklist.W. Sieffert

Bizjet pilot in another forum recently wrote that the hi-bipass turbofans on his type was so powerful that revthrust was necessary during taxi to save the brakes from overheating.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest bjjones

Powerbacking is also an approved procedure on 737 and 757 aircraft

Guest Birdie

And most turbo props will use beta and sometimes reverse. Most won't use it to back up except some like the Twin Otter.

Guest Grzes

The first time I have seen it was with a EuroLOT ATR 42-500 actually doing his own pushback, and using steering to set himself up for the taxi... it was amazing seeing it for the first time!

Powerbacks may be an approved procedure but the majority of 737 and 757 operators have placarded their flight manuals as "Powerbacks Not Approved". This was due to the Air Florida crash in Washington DC.Even our 727 ops have removed the powerback approval.JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

Actually, turbo props are operating in beta when in the taxi and reverse range.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

Recently I was on Phuket air in Thailand on a 737. They only started #1 and taxied out and while on the taxiway, they deployed the #2 reverser to stop any rotor rotation due to windmilling and started #2. Once #2 was at idle, the reverser was stowed. This is also an approved tail wind start procedure with most JT-8 engines.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

John, true, but in 1986 a buddy and myself were trying to non-rev to MSY from IAH for Mardi Gras. Crew start the motors, so we thought it was a inop APU, next a little roll fwd. and here came the buckets. :-eek We just looked at each other with a bit of concern. Weird. :-lolJay