Sign in to follow this  
Deputydog857

Just a quick question

Saved as Signature.docx using Word.

That's the way to do it Michael.  I may post an "alternative" for you to use later this evening after I get off work.

Chris Sunseri

That's the way to do it Michael.  I may post an "alternative" for you to use later this evening after I get off work.

I have a lot of alternative posts which I could use but I don't want to insult anyone or get banned from Avsim.

I have a lot of alternative posts which I could use but I don't want to insult anyone or get banned from Avsim

I hear ya Michael.  Well...how about the World's Most Interesting Man pitching in: 

FORUMS_zps30a5b9ef.jpg

Chris Sunseri

I hear ya Michael. Well...how about the World's Most Interesting Man pitching in:

Very nice.

I hear ya Michael.  Well...how about the World's Most Interesting Man pitching in: 

Chris, I got a post deleted from the PMDG forums with my full real name in it just the other day ...

Chris, I got a post deleted from the PMDG forums with my full real name in it just the other day ...

Uh oh :lol:  The World's Most Interesting Man isn't happy to hear about that....stay classy!

Chris Sunseri

Uh oh :lol:  The World's Most Interesting Man isn't happy to hear about that....stay classy!

Still better than what Captain Sim did, having found out about my second, not so real full name - they banned me a 300% from their forums!   :lol:  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

(Out of a possible maximum of 400%. :P)

Vic1/kav.,

I concur with you about that privacy thingy, but the other side of the story is, that PMDG encourage every customer to use their support ticket system, as this provides a fast (and secure!) way to get developer's support.

The PMDG forums are a mixture of

• a community thingy
  • a community support forum
  • and a developer's support forum

So, strictly speaking, nobody actually needs to be around here (at least not me, that's for sure, M8! :lol:) - so stop worrying about your privacy and just submit a ticket!

PMDG have also set up a rule, which states that the rules PMDG have set up, are not supposed to be discussed, either:

"(...) Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of PMDG (...) forum moderating policies, (...)."

These rules are o.k. (by and large, anyway ...); my question simply being why are they enforced with general discussions, pre-purchase enquiries and customer feedback??? (like in 'thank you, PMDG, awesome plane!')

However support once you have purchased a legitimate copy should not then force you to publish your name and conversations interests hobbies etc on the internet in a way that makes you personally identifiable to the world.

You really think just a name is going to help anyone pick you out as an individual? You're leaving a lot more traces than that, your name is the least of your worries.

support should be given despite this....

Funny thing... They already do this: support.precisionmanuals.com

If you choose to come to the forums, which is a user to user support base, you have to play by the rules.

If you want one-on-one support, file a ticket at the Support Center at the provided links.

And to be honest, if you want to be the one making the rules, host your own forum. This is not your forum or my forum, it's PMDGs (well, technically it's AVSIMs, but PMDG pretty much has admin rights in the subforum here) so they make the rules. Don't you like that? Well, nobody's holding a gun to your head an making you stay here, you know.

support should be given despite this and if the company needs to verify an individual as legitimate then they are free to do so privately through closed communications for those who do not wish to have their conversations searchable to the whole world on Google within a millisecond.customers privacy and security are important and should be optional if we choose to flout them, not forced.

Funny thing is, it's impossible to identify a single person through a first and last name, unless your name is significantly unique.  Even then, it's rather unlikely that you're the only one with that name.

Nobody is forcing you to use this forum.  It's not a public forum (you have to log in to even view it now), and it's not an area where people have a right to privacy (read the agreement that you accept as part of using this forum).  If you're that worried about privacy, then don't use the forum.  If you're that afraid of being found online, then there's property in Pennsylvania that's calling your name.  You even get to wear cool top hats around town and ride in buggies!

This isn't me.

Nor is this.

...or this.

...or this.

...or this.

...but they all have the same name as me, so who is to know specifically which one of those people is, or is not me, compared to the "me" that is typing this?

I know there are a bunch of news stories out there that make the internet out to be a place that, as soon as someone finds your first and last name, they can hack your life, but that is a complete load of rubbish.

Note, PII (protected information in the United States) only extends to full name, which is first, middle and last.  First and last is not enough to meet that requirement at all unless other information can be used in combination.  As an example, my first and last name are in my signature, and my home airport is listed as JYO.  Since there aren't many with my name in this area, you could narrow it down, but you'd have a tough time even then.  Since your location is optional, you're really not compromising a single thing.

Then again, I have a degraded view of personal information because I used to teach network and organizational security and ethical hacking.  I know what is and isn't easy to come by, and finding a first and last name on some random site doesn't give me much to run with.

That, and the FAA mandated that just about anyone can see my full name, and address anyway.  Putting my first and last name here in the forum is child's play in comparison.

EDIT:

Let's see how many people disagree and dislike \/ \/ \/ (badges of honor for me, in this case)

Kyle Rodgers

my name is unique in the whole world yes ive never met another hence easily identifiable. actually we are threatened in my line of work personally and face to face. kyle im not going to stoop to the level of a pointless argument with you but if i explained my job, as an intelligent man im sure you would instantly understand.

this is also the end of this conversation from my end

kav

Right...because I'm quite sure everyone is out to get you.

Kyle Rodgers

Rules are rules and if you don't accept them then don't join in. I think it's good to remind someone to sign their posts when you answer them. But if you don't have an answer and just post to say "sign your post" then that's where you look like a wannabe mod.

ki9cAAb.jpg