Sign in to follow this  
MBE007

Do X-Plane users want Payware airports?

There are not many payware airports. For a commercial organisation there is a question of whether to put the investment into development when it is unclear if there is a sufficient market demand. So how many of you would be prepared to buy payware airports if they were made available, bearing in mind you get what you pay for. Or is it solely the journey that matters to the majority and not the beauty of the takeoff and landing? Would be really useful if the silent majority would have your say and encourage others to do so as well perhaps. Thanks for reading my request folks.

I have given up hope with XP10.  10.30 will be my last update.  I want the visibility/clouds fixed but 10.30 will not release with that fix, it will come later.  ATC is a joke and Austin thinks it's perfect :blink: , etc.....  I hope by the end of the year we get seasons from John Maxx.

Um, I believe 10.30 is going to address visibility and clouds, it just may not be in the first few betas.

I'd happily pay for airports if they were worth paying for, and I'm pretty sure any other X-Plane use would also. For example, I really miss the UK2000 airports on FSX and these are really lacking in the UK, so if these were developed, I'd pay for them. The Aerosoft airports have always been too heavy for me on both FSX and X-Plane, so I don't bother with them anymore. I also wish we would start seeing smaller GA airports, like the ones developed by ORBX. Currently, the best I've seen so far on X-Plane is the Beti-X CZST.

I'm awaitng the Aerosoft Dublin for XP and will certainly buy it. If there were some UK fields I would probably buy those too. I think a developer has to look at it with a long view. I have no doubt given the way interest in X-Plane seems to be growing that the devs who get in early and make their name in XP will benefit in the long run with higher sales but I understand devs not wanting to take risks also.

I spent many thousands over the years on FSX addons but have recently abandoned FSX and P3d in favour of XP simply because with some of the new addons that have been released, both free and payware, I've been able to turn XP10 into the sim I've always wanted a sim to be. I didn't care whose sim filled that position, it just turned out to be XP. Basically I am no longer a revenue stream for devs that cater to FSX/P3d, I imagine over time that more will come to the same point that I have as people start to see images of what is possible in XP on fora all over.

So basically, yes I would be happy to pay for the airports I prefer to fly to if they existed. If I were a dev I would start gaining expertise now that will pay later. Tough call though, I don't envy you your decision.

Well, as there IS a payware scenery market in X-Plane even since XP 9, I'd say XP users want payware airports.

We have Aerosoft, TropicalSim, TruScenery, Beti-X, the guys who made Wilmington (sorry, can't remember the name atm) and still very alive the classics Tom Curtis and Santiago Butnaro. Any more devs would certainly be welcome.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

II want the visibility/clouds fixed but 10.30 will not release with that fix, it will come later. 

That is definitely NOT correct. Did you read what Ben Supnik wrote in his blog? Things like:

• Tuning and improvements to the look of the clouds, including their behavior as you fly into and out of them.
  • Optionally increasing the distance the DSF scenery is drawn for better long-range rendering.
  • Better fog in lower visibility situations.  (I’ll try to post some experimental pictures over the next few days.)

http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/05/the-what-and-when-of-x-plane-10-30/

Yep, on P3D I have all the Flight Beam airports... would love if that type of quality was widely avaliable on XPX.

I own payware airports and will buy more if the quality is good, and the airport shoulf be one of those I usually visit a lot.

I own payware airports and will buy more if the quality is good, and the airport shoulf be one of those I usually visit a lot.

I will definitely buy UK airports, especially a good EGNT, like uk 2000's. I wish there was a way of getting that in to xplane 10!

Yes - if the airports are:

1. Significantly better than available freeware

2. Have correctly configured taxi/atc routes

3. Have night lighting optimised for HDR

4. Offer a choice of with or without static a/c

5. Make use of the Autogate plug-in

Little out of the way airports I wouldn't pay for, but larger hubs which I would fly into/out of often, definitely. I don't think XP has the user base that would justify making anything other than large hubs anyway right now, as anything smaller would just not sell enough units.

MBE007, You'll not be able to test the market if you just ask a question to a minority of X-Plane users here on avsim.net. :wink:

I switched from FS2004 to X-Plane 9, and I'm paying X-Plane 9 & 10 add-on airports since a few years. Some of them look really great.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430657-short-local-flight-with-the-mooney/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/392306-the-duchess-in-hyvinkaa/

But here is something I would like to see more often in payware airports... correct ATC taxi layouts:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2012/01/atc-taxi-layouts/

This is a detail where new freeware files are often better than payware. Eyecandy is not the only thing that matters for an airport.

And exclusion correct zones please, way too many payware airport lack facade or forest exclusion, and that creates mess with OSM buildings.

Pascal

I have given up hope with XP10.  10.30 will be my last update.  I want the visibility/clouds fixed but 10.30 will not release with that fix, it will come later.  ATC is a joke and Austin thinks it's perfect :blink: , etc.....  I hope by the end of the year we get seasons from John Maxx.

ATC: Speedbird4509, you are offcourse

do you copy ?

:lol:

I would love to purchase a major US hub, but the lack of sufficient AI makes them look so abandoned.

Andreas beat me to it, but yes, you are wrong.  Some developers have been given early alpha's of 10.3 (Leading Edge Sim is one of them) and many people will be pleasantly surprised.