Sign in to follow this  
richardnewnes

morse code website

Hi everyone,

I remember seeing in a reply once, a link that someone had inserted to a website the allowed you to select any airport and listen to its morsecode indentification. I have lost this link. does anyone know where the site is. Many thanks, Bruce

As far as I know, airports don't have morse code identifiers. I mean, they have ICAO identifiers which could be translated into morse code, but I don't see why you'd do that.

Maybe you're referring to navaid identifiers? VOR stations DO emit a morse code to help in identifying them.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hi Alpha,

Sorry , I meant the morse code  for the ils frequency you input into Nav1. When I  hear it beeping I try to indentify it as the correct one, but it beeps so fast I can't always check. The site I am looking for let you play this morse code and then you could compare them.

Thanks, Bruce

More useful than looking on a website and comparing the sounds every time, is getting the morse alphabet on a sheet of paper and print it,

International_Morse_Code.jpg

Say you want to identify an ILS named "IRT", you'd check for "··  ·-·  -"

Jaime Beneyto

I remember seeing in a reply once, a link that someone had inserted to a website the allowed you to select any airport and listen to its morsecode indentification.

Since you know the name of the navaid, you should be able to use a generator site like this one which generates the tones: http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html .,  Just enter the ID and let it generate the sound for you.

I have to chuckle at your speed comment, however.  While I haven't been active for many years, I have an amateur (ham) radio license first earned back in the day when high speed code tests were still required.  The biggest problem I have with navaid morse identification is that the sounds are sent too slowly for my ear.  You learn morse by sound, ie by teaching yourself that the sound for an "L" is didahdidit, not that it's dot-dash-dot-dot, and once you get used to hearing it fast (at the speeds required to pass the test) slow sending gets hard to "hear".

And, BTW, that's also why I would not recommend what Jaime is suggesting.  By sound is the right way to go.  After hearing the tones enough, you'll start to get a feel for this, now arcane, skill.

Scott

If you have an ipad, there is the morse code app.

When shooting an approach in real life, i found paper reference quite disturbing when you should concentrate on the instruments. I prefer to remember the id letters ex YQB then listen to see if the signal correspond. So i prefer to train to identify letters and numbers from their sound and this app helps a lot.

If you have an AP that maintains altitude and heading, then maybe paper is a viable option.

I'm not fully succesful yet at identifying every signal but still working on it.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Let's keep in mind this is for a pilot we're talking about. As a pilot you're not supposed to be a telegraphist.

Usually you'll find the morse code for the navaid on the approach plate itself. You just listen to the code and check it does coincide with the dashes and dots, no need to dig any deeper than that into morse for a pilot "nowadays".

Most of the times it's not even necessary to identify the station through morse code.

Jaime Beneyto

Usually you'll find the morse code for the navaid on the approach plate itself. You just listen to the code and check it does coincide with the dashes and dots, no need to dig any deeper than that into morse for a pilot "nowadays".

Yep, nothing wrong with just looking at the chart and matching it up.  And I don't think FSX ever does maintenance on navaids so you probably don't need to be able to identify what the heck - . ... - means. :-)  Wasn't trying to suggest that this was something you tried to pick up because you HAD to (thus my arcane comment) - but the OP seemed to WANT to, and if that's the case, sound is the way to go.

Scott

Brings back memories. I was a radioman in the Navy from 69-73 and I had head phones on sitting in front of a typewriter 10 hours a day for 4 months in school listening and learning morse code. I remember after graduating from radioman training, every sign, everything thing the eye could see that were words, it went through my head in morse code. It used to drive me nuts. I lost my speed with it, but never forgot it.

Bob

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for the link. I did what you said and it works fine.

Many thanks.Bruce

Thanks to all the others for their help.