Sign in to follow this  
Bigmarty

Does PMDG Have GPS

I just got the PMDG 737 and am in process of trying to figure it out.  I can't see where it has GPS.  Also, the manual makes reference to the PMDG Setup/Aircraft page.  I can't find this either.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

It does not, it uses the FMC to program routes. Look for some tutorials on the FMC, it takes a bit of getting used to at first! The setup page is located when you press menu on the FMC and you can access the performance and aircraft options etc, hope that helps :)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

To be accurate the PMDG 737NGX, like the real aircraft, has two GPS receivers located in the avionics bay below the cockpit. The GPS receivers, along with many other "sensors" feed data to the flight management computers, FMCs. The pilots interface to the FMCs are the CDUs in the cockpit. And, yes, routes, are entered into the CDUs

Dave

Dave Paige

Don't be scared of the FMC. It looks hard, but it really isn't. Try out the included Tutorial #1. If it's too hard, try going on YouTube and searching for FMC tutorials. That's how I learned the best.

I don't know it 100%, but I can take the airplane from point A to point B.

THanks very much for the replies.  I figured it was something like that.  I does all look a bit confusing, but thats what makes it interesting, right?

I does all look a bit confusing, but thats what makes it interesting, right?

It's really not that confusing when you actually use it a couple times.  The included tutorials will get you used to it in no time.  As mentioned, don't be afraid of it.  It's actually a lot more powerful that the default GPS.

HOWEVER....

What others have written here about the plane not having GPS is absolute rubbish.  It does.  In fact, it has two GPS receivers.  It just doesn't have a graphical display like the Garmin model you're probably used to from flying the default aircraft.  The GPS position is fed directly to the FMS, in addition to other position data.  This creates redundancy, and increased accuracy.

EDIT:  Just realized Dave beat me to the latter points.

Kyle Rodgers

To clarify, im assuming hes talking about the default GPS, im fully aware that the aircraft has GPS receivers

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56