Sign in to follow this  
dho112

I have the momentary freezes, but not with with NGX

I've run about a dozen sessions to test this, just to make sure its repeatable.  I'm not sure it helps anything but it might reduce a variable or two.

I run a sequence where I start at the same gate at the same airport KLAX, same time of day (historic weather for ASN),  I load the same flight plan, run thru the startup procedure and taxi to the active.  Ultimate Traffic 2 is set to 75% traffic.  First with the 737-800 NGX and then with the T777.

I run an Intel I7-980x extreme overclocked to 4.5 Mhz with 12gig of DDR1600 and it is stable for countless hours running Prime.  Video card is NVidia  590 GTX (2x580 GTX)  I run FSX at 2560x1440 with all settings at max with DX10 except water is 2.0 low.  At KLAX I average 25-30FPS limited to 30FPS with Nvidia inspector.

With the NGX I have NO freezes or stutters, with the T777 using the same taxiways and weather and location and settings I get stutters and a freeze of about 3-4 seconds every 2 minutes plus or minus a few seconds.

To recap.  WIth NGX no stutters no freezes (doing anything and flying everywhere actually) and with the T777 I get the freeze every 2-3 minutes all the time.  

I don't think this proves anything conclusively that T777 causes the freeze, but it is repeatable (for me) constantly, and maybe its just that a third party program "reacts" to the presence of T777 differently, not that the T777 is actually "causing" it...

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

"With the NGX I have NO freezes or stutters, with the T777 using the same taxiways and weather and location and settings I get stutters and a freeze of about 3-4 seconds every 2 minutes plus or minus a few seconds.

To recap.  WIth NGX no stutters no freezes (doing anything and flying everywhere actually) and with the T777 I get the freeze every 2-3 minutes all the time.  "

I have the same problem and for the life of me can not figure this out, good luck.

Rich Sennett

I don't have this problem with NGX or T7.  My specs are in my sig. I don't use any AI traffic and running in DX9.  ALso using ASN with REX textures.

Saying that hasn't it been said that FSUIPC saving in flight can make these freezes happen.

Seams to have worked for some: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420194-no-more-pauses-or-freezes/

This guy seamed to have fixed his problem, same problem you're having but with the NGX: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350779-strange-freeze-then-un-freeze-problem/

I have tried those ideas but thanks for the links Raven 

Rich Sennett

Hi VLJ,

I was in a rush to finish my post because I had a 3pm appointment to get to, so I wasn't able to put all the detail into my description, but I have the latest version of FSUIPC 3.93 I think?  and I double and triple checked that the save feature was not checked.

The really strange thing is that when I first installed the T777 I don't remember it having the freezes (it did stutter though noticeably) but it definitely freezes now.  I also run all SSD drives and one of the things I was thinking is some kind of disk activity was causing the freeze, but at the times it happens, there is no disk activity (or at least the disk activity light is not on)

I've even tried to set my CPU back down to 3.33Mhz (default speed) and eliminated any vestiges of overclocking completely but even that didn't ahve an effect.  It's kind of maddening actually and I'm wondering if in an ironic twist, its something that plagues only the fastest machines while leaving the less fast machines alone :)  Kind of in the same way that the top athletes can often be more susceptible to colds and flu compared to just average Joes :) 

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

Interesting as my rig is top of the line, new power supply coming tomorrow see what that does as I have an intermittent restart on a cold computer boot, other than my ssd this is the only thing that is left to be the problem, these to components are the only two pieces that were in my last fast computer and this new one, let yo know if this helped the problem.

Just updated my pc specs if interested

Rich Sennett

Well I think its equal in the scene that if 100 people are running high-end hardware and 100 people are running pretty acquitted FS hardware, the amounts of people having problem 'X' are same in ratio just about; that goes for this problem too, not just high-end systems are seeing this hiccup.  As well so many variables are in play, its hard to point a finger when problems like this arise and the community chimes in to help.  And throughout my MSFS history (back to 98) I've had my fair share of problems and seen people on weaker systems run stronger.

Really I just wanted to chime in with some threads I've seen on the topic where people having this problem have had their problems fixed, as well that I'm running the same CPU with a 30+% overclock and all is good.  Saying that, I'll say others here run the 980x in the 4-5GHz range and are going fine.  And even higher end rigs then all of ours here posted so far not seeing this and sure some that are too.

Now it seams everyone is looking at their hardware.  Maybe delete/disable UT2 (or whatever traffic add-on) and see if that rids the problem, run FSX in DX9, etc.  Because I own UT2, but got rid of it as it got in the way a lot and used some frames I wanted back and run in DX9 and don't have this problem and get 100% smooth gameplay with the NGX and 777 in stressful simulation; of course minus the AI traffic.  I also don't use virus software on my simming rig as its just used for FSX and video editing GoPro videos so I don't have that variable in play.

Lastly like you I'd think high SSD/HDD activity doing this.  But many here are also running normal 7,200/10,000rpm HDD and SSD who also get this problem. 

I am having issue with vanilla fsx to try and route out the problem - one thing I did notice T777 does not run well in dx10 fixer - a bit better under dx9 but still some stutters that is annoying - until I rule out my power supply issue I hope - I cant complete my diagnosis 

Rich Sennett

First I'm not saying you're wrong...

I have a surge protector that monitors the power specs.  FSX never uses over 600 watts so its not a taxing amount of watts for something not to be getting the power it needs.  Internally it might be something with the PSU, but I doubt it and if its the problem, there are a fair amount of people with PSU problems making this happen where FSUIPC save, etc, etc didn't fix.

Has PMDG reached out to these people with the problem to sort it out?

I'm going to try a few more tests right now with ASN not running and then with UT2 turned off and see what that does.  I'm hesitant to run in DX9 because it took a few weeks to tweak it to get it running right and I'm afraid that if I go back to DX9 and then back to 10 I'll upset the mojo and have to hunt down some more things LoL!

Addendum... Actually I'm going to try that sound quality change from 2 to 1 in the config file first to see if that does anything since its a simple change :) 

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO

also interested in that issue, because ive been having that very annoying freeze, but it appeared suddenly cause a few months back, I did not have that pb...im suspecting orbx sceneries such as global or vector

Ah Raven I have a problem with two high end systems 2700k and now 3770k both systems are restarting on a cold boot, only my ssd and corsair ax1200 are components used on both systems and I had this booting problem on both, so I think its the PSU I hope but until I replace it with a new eVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply I cant eliminate it - wanted to go with new 1200 corsair again but I had a problem with my second to last corsair so I am changing brands, should be here tomorrow.

Yah the dx10 does look much nicer - thats why I am thinking of changing to P3D in the future

Rich Sennett

Tried it with Sound Quality set to 1, then with Ultimate traffic 2 off, then with ASN off, Then with all of them off, no change, momentary freezes.  Once they start, they occur at what seems almost exactly 2 min 30 sec intervals and when it freezes it lasts about 3 seconds.  Oh well...  Here's to hoping that the changes in SP1 will do something to help even though I don't think this issue was ever officially acknowledged as a bug?

Till then 777 grounded like a 787... but NGX flies flawlessly :)

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO

Well now you're speaking further past the topic as to why you're changing PSU in finding out why you're getting this problem.  Sounds like problems exist past FSX.  First speaking it sounded like your process of elimination fixing this only involved FSX/PMDG and the fact "everything else was changed on your rig accept the PSU & SSD" as the problem left and only FSX/PMDG was effected; not overall PC booting problems, etc.  Knowing that, you may have a PSU problem.  However I still think you'll have the problem you're having inside FSX when you get that running.  I've been running this PSU in my sig for 5 or 6 years!

Also I'd beg to differ in what a high-end CPU is, (not saying mine is anymore as its 4 years old, but at the time was marketed as a high-end CPU) and that for its time a 2700k was a not high-end CPU compared to the range of what was on the market then at the time (lots of people ran that CPU all over the FS and overall gaming community. Indeed was good bang for your buck and a good overclocker, but was never marketed as a high-end CPU) and 3770k is (in my opinion) a mid range CPU where again, your bang for the buck is good, but not a high-end CPU when the 3960x, 4960x are marketed as high-end CPUs with Intel black labels and 3930k, 4930k marketed as lower high-end CPUs.  For the LGA 1155 socket, that CPU (3770k) was high or the highest, but doesn't really stand out as a high-end CPU in regards to how Intel markets it CPUs and what was on the market at the time it released.

Well back to report new Power Supply installed seems much better not sure about cold restarting problem as I will not know if that problem is fixed until many morning starts but under vanilla fsx and no Overclock T777 seems better but saw a couple of skeletons when going to outside view, have to do my thing to get it all up too speed again and see what happens still think PMDG in P3D should rock, please make it happen PMDG  :friends: 

Rich Sennett