Sign in to follow this  
keithb77

Dual Monitor advice needed

I currently have 2 monitors, a 1920*1080 and a 1280*800, I use the 2nd monitor for GPS, ATC etc.

Last night I accidentally got the VC across both screens, and it was a surprisingly good solution, with the much wider view giving much more immersion and frame rate acceptable.

But different size monitors are very clunky and the old monitor is fading, so I need another 1920*1080 - unfortunately my main monitor is no longer sold.

Lots of searching the internet (mostly referring to FSX) suggests that a 2 monitor VC is not possible without special HW (eg Matrox TH2GO) which I don't have, just a GTX670.

Is that advice outdated? Does a combination of Prepar3D, Windows 7 Aero and newer hardware mean that advice is outdated?

The 'best' solution would be 3 monitors under nVidia Surround, but I don't have desk space, budget or horsepower for 3 screens.

So pragmatically I plan to get a single monitor the same spec as the old, with a plan to move to 3 in the future.

Any comments / advice?

Thanks

Keith 

Is that advice outdated? Does a combination of Prepar3D, Windows 7 Aero and newer hardware mean that advice is outdated?

Yes it does Keith.

You can drag a P3D window to fill as many monitors as you have connected.

Only (big?) disadvantage is you can not set up any monitor bevel corrections.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You don't need NVidia surround for three screens.   Just drag the edges of the window through to the edge of the monitors you wish to span.  The psuedo-full screen mode that P3D uses will fill up all 2 or 3 monitors as long as the windowed view is spanning in the monitors you want.  What surround gives you is bezel correction, but no gain in performance.

You do not need the monitors to be identical in any way.  You can have whatever specs and brand you can find.  

A tip, AutoHotKey will allow you to set the window size whatever you wish to a hotkey.

Thanks, monitor ordered :-)

Autohotkey is a good tip.

For two monitors, bezel correction would lose portions of the instruments...better a slightly disjoint display?

Elsewhere it's said that Surround IS more efficient too...will keep investigating.

Cheers

Keith

For two monitors, bezel correction would lose portions of the instruments...better a slightly disjoint display?

Yes, bezel correction will indeed cause portions of whatever is behind those bezels to be blocked.  However, in practice I still find it to be preferable to have the impression of a seamless view that monitors with bezel correction provides; after a little bit your eyes are tricked into not noticing the bezel at all.  Whereas with the disjointed view, I can always notice that and I find it quite distracting.  Your mileage may vary, of course. ^_^

I've only run a view spread across two monitors a few times, generally three is a better solution so that those bezels are off to the sides.  I have run two monitors top/bottom before, trying to position my view so that the bezel is around where the glareshield would be. It works okay, but I found it to be more annoying when panning around the VC.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I recently bought a desk mount dual monitor stand and am a bit annoyed at my mismatched monitor set up.  Luckily the 24" Asus Proart I have is still for sale so I just ordered a second one of those.

I'm interested to see how it goes.  I only fly around on GA style airplanes in VC mode so I'm hoping I can get over the bezel. We'll see.

I found that with two equal sized monitors runways tend to be too close to the bezel ... so I've bought a third monitor :-)

Frame rates surprisingly good ... so far the biggest problem is getting gamma and colours the same...

Cheers

Keith 

I have fixed the stretching distortion that you see on side monitors.  It may also help with centering your view on the left side of the bezel.  I will get this out soon.

When I used to run dual monitors I wouldn't expand across both screens fully otherwise the centreline is in the bezel.

1.5 monitor width worked well, just by manually stretching the screen.

I have fixed the stretching distortion that you see on side monitors

I find the best result to be switch off the 'widescreenview' (which causes the distortion), zoom out to the maximum (to 0.30 - can anyone get it further?) then shift the eyepoint back to get a reasonable field-of-view.

But anything to improve it further would be good!

Cheers

Keith

I received my second monitor and hooked it up.  Apparently you need 3 monitors for Nvidia Bezel correction.  Does anyone know another way to get the same function?

I am going to be working on bezel correction as well.  

I am going to be working on bezel correction as well.  

I still haven't been able to find anything.  I might just wait on an Oculus Rift to be my savior because right now it's a little goofy looking.

I received my second monitor and hooked it up.  Apparently you need 3 monitors for Nvidia Bezel correction.  Does anyone know another way to get the same function?

If you ever feel like moving to the dark side, ATI Radeon cards will do Eyefinity dual monitor with bevel correction.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.