Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Dodgy Maintenance

constantly get bleed valve failures. I had 15mins to pushback from SBKP - SEQM, once again my APU bleed valve is stuck shut & the PRSOV R is stuck open

Rob, what rate have you got the sevice based failures set at ? Mine is 1x. Anything higher than 1x will age the aircraft components quicker. PMDG thought of everything but make me younger. :P

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I tried looking up whether the APU is needed for flight per the MEL, and I guess you will be hangar bound again my friend

Unless required for ETOPS reasons, the APU is not required for dispatch. Provided you have all engine driven generators in a working order.

Rob, what rate have you got the sevice based failures set at ? Mine is 1x. Anything higher than 1x will age the aircraft components quicker. PMDG thought of everything but make me younger. :P

Hi,

I used to have it 5x to make it a little more realistic.  At the moment it is back to 1x.  I think I have solved the issue, since i have started flying emirates i have been saving custom panel states.  It looks like some failures will come back with the panel state even if you have cleared them before saving.   

Unless required for ETOPS reasons, the APU is not required for dispatch. Provided you have all engine driven generators in a working order.

Correct, limitations exist but you can go in most situations with the APU offline. Anyway, my APU was working, only the bleed valve was stuck.

Good to know it's not just me, but an actual bug.  I get this and other warnings intermittently when I taxing to the runway.

It's not a bug

Rob Prest

I thought that with at least 4 generators an APU would not be required for dispatch into etops and was one of the highlights of the 777. Are the extra engine generators just to protect dispatch reliability?

I thought that with at least 4 generators an APU would not be required for dispatch into etops and was one of the highlights of the 777. Are the extra engine generators just to protect dispatch reliability?

I'm a bit hazy on it all, but if I remember it correctly, some ETOPS missions are possible with the APU INOP, some aren't.

However, it's been quite some time since I last updated my ETOPS knowledge, so I might be off completely. ;-)

Might also be my reading, however I think we can agree that there are limitations. 

And how do you plan to start your engines?

Do a pushback, attach an Air start Unit and start both engines before taxi? I guess aiports have limitations for ground equipment being allowed on active taxiways, etc. 

I like to see what we can come up with

And how do you plan to start your engines?

Huffer (air start cart) to start one of them.

Push back.

Crossbleed to start the second while away from the gate.

I actually just demonstrated this in my last video with the NGX.

Kyle Rodgers

Start one at the gate with the cart, the other by cross bleed.

edit - posted the same time as Kyle

Rob Prest

Huffer (air start cart) to start one of them.

Push back.

Crossbleed to start the second while away from the gate.

I actually just demonstrated this in my last video with the NGX.

I guess some aiports have rules that this is not allowed right? 

I guess some aiports have rules that this is not allowed right? 

I can't think of one that would.  I know that some have rules regarding where you can do cross bleed starts (SFO is one of them), but I highly doubt there's a single airport out there that would prevent someone from using an air start cart to start the first engine, and then use a crossbleed to start the second (they may even allow you to start both off of the cart, but having been a rampie, I know I wouldn't want to do that).

...if there is one, I can nearly guarantee it's in Europe somewhere, though.

Kyle Rodgers

I can't think of one that would.  I know that some have rules regarding where you can do cross bleed starts (SFO is one of them), but I highly doubt there's a single airport out there that would prevent someone from using an air start cart to start the first engine, and then use a crossbleed to start the second (they may even allow you to start both off of the cart, but having been a rampie, I know I wouldn't want to do that).

...if there is one, I can nearly guarantee it's in Europe somewhere, though.

I guess it has more to do with starting at the gate rather then making use of the cart.

I heart a few declines when this is was requested at EHAM, when listening in on the ATC radio.

Indeed, crossbleed start, done multiple times per day on Hangar Queens worldwide :)

I heart a few declines when this is was requested at EHAM, when listening in on the ATC radio.

ATC is a highly situational environment.  Don't make too many inferences on what is "allowed" versus "not allowed" simply by listening into ATC comms.  It could have been simply that there was an aircraft behind them, or they weren't close enough to their departure time (that's an issue over there - over here we could care less if you want to burn your own fuel while waiting).

Kyle Rodgers