Sign in to follow this  
eriktu

A2A C172 Trainer checklist for Android

Thank you, Eric. This looks very nice. I've been getting out of iOS and into Android recently and the experience has been great. There's lots of good apps for FSX thanks to contributions from developers like you.

I eventually downloaded this app, and noticed that it requires some odd permissions on Android:

- Phone calls: Read phone status and identity

Personally, I have this on a Nexus tablet so there are no incoming/outgoing phone calls, but if this were on a phone I would be concerned. I have no idea why a checklist app with a google maps sub-function would need to know the identity of the people the user talks to, and what’s more worrying to me is the fact that the ads that run in the background for this app must have access to those numbers as well. For the life of me I can’t understand why a checklist app would need this info (but the ad portion might, i.e. data mining). I have FSMovMap for Android and with all of its fancy networking going on it only needs storage and network access. 

- Run at startup

Another odd data requirement. To log more calls? 

- Location data:

Google maps is attached to the checklist app so I understand this vaguely. But what does the user’s current position have anything to do with their location in the sim? Again, FSMovMap which actually functions as a moving map for FSX does not require location data. The user’s position in reality is inconsequential.  

I value the work of everyone in the FS community, and as you can see from my first comment in this thread I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. But there was a city named Troy that accepted gift horses too easily. While these kind of free apps for Andoird are welcome, I think we should also be critical of the data requirements they have. FSX is a small community, and it gives us the opportunity to discuss issues directly with developers, so I think this is a good opportunity to raise the issue directly to Erik. He is, of course, welcomed to respond. 

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but I also think members of the FS community should be aware of these issues with app permissions.  

Hi Erik,

Thank you for this app.  Just one tiny cosmetic detail, the splash screen reads version 1.02 but your latest is 1.05.  I have logged 250hrs on this bird and still use the check list; I keep my Acer tab straped to my thigh.

Yes I too really like the app, mucho handy! ^_^

I keep my Acer tab straped to my thigh.

Top job, just like so many GA pilots are now. What are you using for your sim strap, same as when you fly or different?

cheers,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Hi,

Elementary my dear "Lewis": Three ingrediants - 1) Cheap tablet case. I bought two, one for every day use and the other was modified.  2) A small piece of medium thickness of memory foam. Highest density possible.  I walked into a matress retailer and asked for a free sample!! and, 3) Wide velcro strap.  Found one in my garage.

a) Choose the best position for the velcro strap on your thigh (mark it).

b) Glue the strap to the back of the tablet case.  I use it on my left so the flap falls away from me and the buckel is on the right very close to the edge of the case.

c) Cut to size and glue the Memory foam to the back of the case and on top of the velcro strap

d) E pronto, andiamo in volo!

Or you may choose from a various models of ready made.

Ahh, I'll have to have that as a project for 2015 maybe then. Not fussed about the pre-made as they tend to be aimed at the ipads for the real world apps. For pure sim purposes ill just need smething to fit a cheap modern tablet (have you seen how cheap they are getting now!) so a cheapo 7inch tablet and home made strap would be great. Thanks for the inspiration :)

cheers,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations