Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Look Up! (a poetic reflection on "Social Networking")

Great video, very true.

I deleted my Facebook account two years ago and I'm glad I did, "social media" in general seems just so shallow to me. 

The difference smartphones have made to social behavior is certainly huge, I've noticed it especially well during my upper secondary school years... Just 5 years ago or so people were having discussions while waiting for class to start, nowadays they mostly just stare at their smartphones. 

I'm still using old Samsung with broken screen, not sure if I should join modern smartphone era. GPS & access to internet could be useful sometimes... 

Well that could probably have been solved by placing the 'wireless device' upstairs, and connecting an inexpensive 'cordless phone' to it. Surely that would have worked out.

You are right, except the tenants up there are not very sociable. I do appreciate the thought though.

GPS & access to internet could be useful sometimes...

I use mine to check emails, for taking impromptu pictures, and as a led flashlight more than for calling anyone (or being called). We all know how popular text messaging is, . . . I have sent 1 and only 1 then I called the person to make sure they got the message. :lol: I have never had the need for the GPS so far. I like to just hand a map to the wife when we travel. That keeps her busy and reasonably quiet.

After a bit of thought, I now realize these new phones do cut down on the hardware to be carried around. I don't need to carry a hand held GPS, a SLR camera, a D cell flashlight, a briefcase radio phone, a typewriter, paper, envelopes and stamps or a laptop computer and I don't even need my Atari VHS to play games anymore. Sigh!

Regards,

Mel

You are right, except the tenants up there are not very sociable. I do appreciate the thought though.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought her office might be in your home's basement, or are you really cave dwellers? :Just Kidding:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Smartphones are a very powerful tool if you use it as one. Most don't.

My Blackberry has organized my life and time in a very positive fashion. It is a pocket organizer x 100. 

Socially, I agree they are a bad thing. You can communicate much more with a smartphone but you aren't socializing.

Nice one, Fr. Bill. Indeed, food for thought. So, true, the words recited.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought her office might be in your home's basement, or are you really cave dwellers?

No problem. I wasn't very specific about the location. The basement is in a building we own next door to our house, a basement and two floors above ground that are apartments we rent out. NO! I'm not a cave dweller. I have a crawl space instead, a man cave with a very low ceiling!

Mel

--- Oh never mind, that previous post made me think I'm posting to MH370 thread D: