Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Falling in love with the Superbug!

The bug you describe is present in any jet loaded in FSX Acceleration that has an afterburner.

Interesting!

Kind of the like the feature that maintains/increases fuel flow when leaning the throttles?

Microsoft be such nerds...    :rolleyes:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

The cause is that when you got into afterburner, it divides the afterburner TSFC by the number of stages. Then fuel flow calc is simply total thrust * (current burner stage *(ABTSFC/no. of stages)). It doesn't take into account the dry TSFC at all.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

deal breaker...  just don't enable dx10 preview when using the f/a18.   or if you insist on using dx10, don't enable the flir function.  quite simple.

dx10 isn't needed for this a/c--this isn't a pmdg tuber with huge memory footprint, will not cause oom.  

-------

if you want long legs on the vrs f/a18, just do air-to-air refueling like the real thing.  it simulates the real thing like no other payware.   

That all sounds good in a perfect world, however FSX is like a house of cards, move the wrong one and in all comes tumbling down. I don't use DX 10 for VAS, I use it because it is better. Not going to play fiddle stix for one aircraft, unless it is a PMDG.  :P

How about a link to the Superbug?  Specificallly, I'd like to see what exactly you are referring to.

Stan

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A few days ago I finally decided to purchase the VRS TacPack. I've been back and forth on this for quite awhile, but with the amazing trio of Dino's planes all supporting it to some degree, and a few other exciting jets from other developers on the way, plus the rather exciting prospect of the FSX@War package being released in the next few months, I figured now was the time to jump into it.

Of course you can buy them separate now (the TacPack and the Superbug that is), but a discount was offered at checkout time on the Superbug... it wasn't much of a discount, but I decided what the heck and bought the Superbug as well.  In the past, I've been on the fence about buying it as well; I'm more of a fan of the older jets.  But... the discount swayed me, plus perhaps the fact that I'm currently working on an FSX version of NAS Lemoore.  So in the cart it went, on the credit card it goes, and I downloaded them both and got them installed.

Oh. My. God.... :o

I am completely smitten with this one... Without meaning any disrespect to any of the other developers of the many, many, very fine aircraft I have in my simobject folder, this add-on is seriously head and shoulders above anything else I've flown inside my sim.  The extremely extensive systems depth, the fine detail in the cockpit, the amazingly deep configuration utility, the inclusion of 40 liveries that cover every single active F/A-18E squadron,  there's just so 'much' here.

But of course all of that is meaningless if the plane doesn't feel right... While I am not a real world pilot, and certainly not a pilot of anything such as this, this thing flies like a dream!  Last night I punched in one of the military training routes that starts near NAS Lemoore (IR-203) into the plane itself (you can do it in the config app as well, but it was seriously a joy to do it in the plane!) and took off while the sun was getting a bit lower in the sky, returning at the very last bit of dusk.  What a sublime experience...

It speaks highly of the ergonomics of the plane that I've been able to figure so much of it out without serious effort.  It helps of course that I've flown a lot of different jets in FSX, and I still have some studying to do to figure out some of the little details (and I haven't even gotten close to diving into the weapons systems) but I found it actually very easy to operate.  I was figuring some of it out between waypoints - the autopilot for example is quite simple and complex all at the same time; it seems to have a mode that controls the heading, while allowing you to change vertical speed with your stick and hold it when you let go.

Anyway, I know that this bunch here is more into tubes and airlines and such, and that many will skim though this or not even open the thread; that's all right, we all have our interests.  But if any of you have looked at the Superbug and have been on the fence about buying, as I was, it's doubtful that you'd regret the purchase.  Indeed, the only thing I regret is that I hadn't bought this a long time ago!! :lol:

As a pilot having flown high performance jets and a narrator for Northrop on the prototype Navy introduction test demonstration team for the prototype of this airplane I can attest that without question the VRS FA/18 is  one of the finest add ons I have ever seen  done for MSFS. The depth of fidelity in systems is beyond question some of the best code I've seen written. This bird literally extends your sim experience into a whole new dimension.

Jon and his team did a marvelous job with this aircraft and it shows in every detail.

For the sim pilot interested in a true model of the real counterpart of the FA/18 I suggest you get this bird, then take the time to read the manual before you jump in and fly it. Knowing the aircraft and how it functions will make the VRS experience all that more educational and enjoyable for you.

Dudley Henriques

Not going to play fiddle stix for one aircraft, unless it is a PMDG.

But, but... it's better! ^_^

This bird literally extends your sim experience into a whole new dimension.

Your recommendation sir, carries far more weight than mine!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Your recommendation is just fine Jim, and right on target. I'm sure Jon appreciated you taking the time to write it.
Best to you,

DH

The bug you describe is present in any jet loaded in FSX Acceleration that has an afterburner.

Odd, with ab on the f/a18, it guzzles gas like crazy at fl300. I see the gas gauge quickly go low and endurance shrink when ab is turned on.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Odd, with ab on the f/a18, it guzzles gas like crazy at fl300. I see the gas gauge quickly go low and endurance shrink when ab is turned on.

It only happens in the lower afterburner stages. Go full burner and yes it will guzzle like crazy.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Thanks for the link, Ryan.

Stan