Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Who's tired?

Ever get tired of all the choices on how to enhance your FSX experience? “Autogen” this “Shader” that “Density” this and “Reflection” that? What about “Buffer” settings and “Fixers”? We chase the holy grail of FSX experience most of our time to what end? Why can’t I buy a weather engine that doesn’t require tweaking and textures that have a million choices of “Clouds”, “Waves”, “Asphalt”, “Colors” and what not? What happened to “as real as it gets”? For once I would like to install an enhancement that makes the choices that resemble real life for you. I just want it to look real. Look outside the cockpit and see exactly what you would see if you were really there. I know the answer, this rant is rhetorical, but common, really…hundreds of variables, enough to drive any one nuts. Here’s to the “Cuckoo’s Nest” of the flight sim world and I love it. I must like it, been doing it for 27 years, man I feel old.

Why can’t I buy a weather engine that doesn’t require tweaking and textures that have a million choices of “Clouds”, “Waves”, “Asphalt”, “Colors” and what not?.

Active sky next

But anywho- the problem is that realistic is in the eye of the simmer. Everyone has a different perception of realism. As an example, some folks love ridiculous enb bloom to the point where the sky is completely white.

Some folks like Rex 4's insanely alien blue-blue water textures. ( not saying its bad, I just don't like the presets)

What I do is I choose my textures based on what I've experienced, not what they say is realistic. A proper sky texture set that correctly displays light scattering at dawn/dusk. ( THE HORIZON IS NOT BLOOD RED AFTER SUNSET "*cough*-Rex...." :D An ocean color that's just the right about of blue. Smooth cloud texture to fit every type of weather scenario.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I do recognize being tired to some degree. With FSX on my harddrive for some 8 years now (countless reinstalls though), I have collected so many addons I often don't even know where to start. I know it's a luxury problem, but even if I would (could) fly every night, it would take me years to visit every addon airport I have or use every aircraft I have. 

It's one of the reasons I have not (yet  B) ) bought Flightbeams just released KDEN, eventhough I have been a loyal (most of time first-day-released) customer of their products. No sence in spending 35 bucks for something I will only use once or twice in the coming year.... Besides that summer is coming and in summer time, my average simtime per week tends to drop drastically.

Maybe at the end of the year I'll be able to get myself a nice new i7-Haswell Refresh upgrade which will revive my simming spark  :lol:

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Active sky next

I agree with that.  It does a great job of just being there and making stuff look surprisingly realistic.

But anywho- the problem is that realistic is in the eye of the simmer. Everyone has a different perception of realism. As an example, some folks love ridiculous enb bloom to the point where the sky is completely white.

That exactly sums up why programs that offer such things as replacement textures have to offer up so much choice.  If they didn't, they'd have a narrow range of appeal to only those users who see things exactly how the developer might see things.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ever get tired of all the choices on how to enhance your FSX experience? “Autogen” this “Shader” that “Density” this and “Reflection” that? What about “Buffer” settings and “Fixers”? We chase the holy grail of FSX experience most of our time to what end? Why can’t I buy a weather engine that doesn’t require tweaking and textures that have a million choices of “Clouds”, “Waves”, “Asphalt”, “Colors” and what not? What happened to “as real as it gets”? For once I would like to install an enhancement that makes the choices that resemble real life for you. I just want it to look real. Look outside the cockpit and see exactly what you would see if you were really there. I know the answer, this rant is rhetorical, but common, really…hundreds of variables, enough to drive any one nuts. Here’s to the “Cuckoo’s Nest” of the flight sim world and I love it. I must like it, been doing it for 27 years, man I feel old.

I kinda agree. Sometimes what you see on youtube, what you read on forums really can get you down when you turn to your own machine and think damn I just want to fly without 15 reboots, re-install this and not have any CTD!!!!

Fingers crossed my 'peace time' with my machine is a long time....

Good luck!

Active sky next

Some folks like Rex 4's insanely alien blue-blue water textures. ( not saying its bad, I just don't like the presets)

What I do is I choose my textures based on what I've experienced, not what they say is realistic. A proper sky texture set that correctly displays light scattering at dawn/dusk. ( THE HORIZON IS NOT BLOOD RED AFTER SUNSET "*cough*-Rex...." :D An ocean color that's just the right about of blue. Smooth cloud texture to fit every type of weather scenario.

I don't agree. Realistic is not in the eye of the simmer, realistic is just that. What you see outside is what you see outside, that's the whole point. Ofcourse people can see things different to some degree, but a grey sky is not a white sky period.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Ever get tired of all the choices on how to enhance your FSX experience? “Autogen” this “Shader” that “Density” this and “Reflection” that? What about “Buffer” settings and “Fixers”? We chase the holy grail of FSX experience most of our time to what end? Why can’t I buy a weather engine that doesn’t require tweaking and textures that have a million choices of “Clouds”, “Waves”, “Asphalt”, “Colors” and what not?

I suspect many of us have been there and spent more time 'tweaking' FSX than flying it! I am well aware that I have fallen into that trap with FSX , although when I installed FSX I was determined to keep it simple having fallen into the same trap in my FS9 years! For this reason I have not installed REX (or any weather enhancement) into FSX although I used it in FS9 with it's great but bewildering choices of clouds, waves etc. Now that FSX is running quite smoothly, I am trying my best not to open the sliders, cfg or Nvidia Inspector at all, but that impulse is sometimes difficult to resist! I guess tweaking FSX provides a different sort of challenge (was going to say pleasure but that would be the wrong word as frequently it leads to frustration!) to flying which is why we do it.

I have collected so many addons I often don't even know where to start. I know it's a luxury problem, but even if I would (could) fly every night, it would take me years to visit every addon airport I have or use every aircraft I have.

It's one of the reasons I have not (yet ) bought Flightbeams just released KDEN, eventhough I have been a loyal (most of time first-day-released) customer of their products. No sence in spending 35 bucks for something I will only use once or twice in the coming year...

Am in the same situation - it was only recently when adding my payware airports to my favourite list in Ideal Flight that I realised the huge number of addons that I have! Like you, other than a few real favourites from which I fly fairly often, I wouldn't visit many of these airports more than once or twice a year because of the sheer numbers to choose from. For this reason I too am trying to control my impulse to add yet more airports (but frequently failing in that attempt!) and I too have not bought FB's KDEN which would, for me, just be a replacement for Imagine Sim's KDEN which I don't usually manage to visit more than once or twice a year anyway. It can all become a bit of an addiction at times!

Bill

Stop messing and fly and you'll be much happier.

I'm tired, but then that's mainly because the cat woke me up at 330am by vomiting at the end of my bed.

I don't agree. Realistic is not in the eye of the simmer, realistic is just that. What you see outside is what you see outside, that's the whole point. Ofcourse people can see things different to some degree, but a grey sky is not a white sky period.

*The simmer's perception of realism. Exactly my point. There are many folks who can't recreate in their mind what they saw on an airplane, so they take REX as realistic because it is advertised that way. 

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I have a dream.  I dream of a day when the Sim world is created in a shell outside of the flying sim and just exists...and you load up an airplane and just fly through it.  A day when you don't have to optimize anything because the world is already there...already built, already drawn.  I know I am dreaming.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I went and got hypnotized. I am now completely happy with my system. I never ever need to buy another addon. It is really the only answer to this perplexing issue, which by the way has been around since about 2007ish.

Bob

I could be tired and worried with the overwhelming idea of another version of Flight Simulator franchise, don't get me wrong, it could be fantastic but imagine to start all over again (machine, add-ons, lots of tweaking)... I like a stable and peaceful present, we have this version for almost 8 years and for now you know what to expect and do.

Alexander Colka

"I have a dream.  I dream of a day when the Sim world is created in a shell outside of the flying sim and just exists...and you load up an airplane and just fly through it.  A day when you don't have to optimize anything because the world is already there...already built, already drawn.  I know I am dreaming."

aren't those called gaming consoles? :P

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

In the words of the immortal Ed Heinemann:

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid.

In the words of a random flightsim douchebag (i.e. me):

You're not supposed to get tired of trying to decide what stuff you need to buy next or what dumb piece of coloring you slap into your texture folder or what to tweak to get fifteen stutter-free minutes instead of ten, you're supposed to do some f'in ersatz flying and thank whoever you believe in that you paid way less on it than on a real license!

$5 that I'm going to "Disagree" and "Dislike" heaven for this!

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days