Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Who's tired?

I dumped a lot of add on scenery stuff that wasn't really making the experience better.  Now I have ORBX sceneries for North America, the global textures, and the vector stuff and I just fly.  I never saw much improvement with GEX or Ultimate Terraine.  And without all the stuff, my performance went way up.  Now I'm focusing on flying well - and that has been far more rewarding than trying to make FSX a world simulator.  

OP is annoyed about something that keeps me playing. 

I love 'chasing the holy grail.'  Every time I make a tweak that increases my enjoyment, it's almost as good as making a great landing in terrible weather.

It's a rush, I feel like I've learned more about my computer and aviation at the same time. 

Our sims are our on little private worlds we  can control, tweak, and change (hopefully improve), more then we ever can the real world we live in. Makes a great retreat if you ask me.

Vic green

Ever get tired of all the choices on how to enhance your FSX experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope,...bring it on.  

Choices, is what makes it 'your personal flight experience..'

:)

One day I just decided to turn off the FPS counter and never looked back.  I found my flying much more enjoyable after that.  Now what does SHIFT-Z do again B)

Chris Sunseri

I'm conflicted on this subject...  With FSX there can be hundreds of variables, and adjusting those variables or failing to do so properly can be misery-inducing. On the other hand, if FSX were a closed system (think of Flight) with only 1st part addons, and came with major limitations to the weather engine or gauge coding, I would hate it even more I think. What has allowed FSX to stay modern is the potential for customization. As the tech industry becomes heavily commercialized, we are losing the ability to customize or add 3rd party content to a lot of software. The power we have to customize FSX is more refreshing than annoying - most of the time. Catch me on a bad day when a new addon is conflicting, and I might be singing a different tune.     

I've recently taken a close look at the hard drives on my "retired" flight sim computers, and actually took note of the gigabytes of downloaded "stuff" in my various folders I'd set up for such files...

...most of which I'd never even gotten around to installing! I've got folders stuffed full of "FS2002 freeware," "FS2004 freeware," and "FSX freeware." I've even got a few payware airports that for one reason or another never even installed. :LMAO:

A few years ago I woke up and put a stop to my download madness. You see, I spend so much time developing and gauge coding, I rarely "fly" anywhere, so what's the point of collecting stuff just for the sake of wasting space on my hard drive(s)?

Besides, as a developer I really do need to test my work in a vanilla environment anyway, and maintaining two separate FSX or P3Dv2 installations is just too much effort! :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator