Sign in to follow this  
Ah De

X-Plane Weather Engine Help

Hello,

I just recently transfer from FSX to X-Plane 10. May I know what is the best freeware and payware weather engine for X-Plane? Also, is the FF777 Pro worth it? Is the realism on par with PMDG or lower ?

Thank You

Hello,

I just recently transfer from FSX to X-Plane 10. May I know what is the best freeware and payware weather engine for X-Plane? Also, is the FF777 Pro worth it? Is the realism on par with PMDG or lower ?

There is no real freeware / payware weather engine for X-Plane. What there is:

• SkyMaxx Pro: It changes the way how clouds are drawn (much better than default, imo, with increased performance, too) and adds nice visual effects (like godrays), but uses the default weather data it gets from X-Plane
  • NOAA Plugin: a freeware plugin for improved upper winds and turbulences, requires Python
  • Aerosoft SkyTools: Simple, but variied texture replacements for the default clouds and skycolors

The 777 is worth it. Maybe not 100% PMDG, but close. (Although the 757 is even closer.)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

There is no real freeware / payware weather engine for X-Plane. What there is:
SkyMaxx Pro: It changes the way how clouds are drawn (much better than default, imo, with increased performance, too) and adds nice visual effects (like godrays), but uses the default weather data it gets from X-Plane
NOAA Plugin: a freeware plugin for improved upper winds and turbulences, requires Python

Can I combine both SKyMaxx together with NOAA Plugin?

Can I combine both SKyMaxx together with NOAA Plugin?

Yes.

Yes.

I assume SkyMaxx is similar to REX Textures and Rendering combining together with NOAA Plugin (ActiveSky) in FSX?

The FF 757 is better.  I would suggest too that you tamper your expectation with weather in XPX.  It is no where near the level of FSX with the add-on like FGRW or ASN.  The only two tube liner that I can recommend right now is the FF757 and the FJS727.  I bought the FF 777 packages extended and all, but I unloaded it because there are just too many quirks. For the 777 I fly the PMDG one.  Or save your money, don't go overboard with XPX yet and wait for IXEG 737 and more importantly wait for 10.30.  I stop using any airliner in XPX because of the visibility blur bug.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

The FF 757 is better.  I would suggest too that you tamper your expectation with weather in XPX.  It is no where near the level of FSX with the add-on like FGRW or ASN.  The only two tube liner that I can recommend right now is the FF757 and the FJS727.  I bought the FF 777 packages extended and all, but I unloaded it because there are just too many quirks. For the 777 I fly the PMDG one.  Or save your money, don't go overboard with XPX yet and wait for IXEG 737 and more importantly wait for 10.30.  I stop using any airliner in XPX because of the visibility blur bug.

Looks like I'm going to purchase the SkyMaxx Pro and Carenado instead and save for PMDG arrival then  :lol:

Looks like I'm going to purchase the SkyMaxx Pro and Carenado instead and save for PMDG arrival then  :lol:

I assume SkyMaxx is similar to REX Textures and Rendering combining together with NOAA Plugin (ActiveSky) in FSX?

SkyMaxx is not just textures, it is complete different rendering. NOAA is nice, but really not ActiveSky-like.

In terms of complexity, the aircraft mentioned by Anxu00 are like: 757 > 777 > 727. Also very complex is the Saab 340A.

SkyMaxx is not just textures, it is complete different rendering. NOAA is nice, but really not ActiveSky-like.

In terms of complexity, the aircraft mentioned by Anxu00 are like: 757 > 777 > 727. Also very complex is the Saab 340A.

Alright, any recommendation for jet aircraft (Similar to PMDG) except military other than the above 3?

Similar? I'm not sure but also deep systems aircraft is the JRollon CRJ-200 besides the ones mentioned above.

Alexander Colka

There are more, but not that good.

We are all waiting for IXEG's 737 Classic, and FlyJSim (727 devs) are working on a 737 (from the non-glass cockpit era).

I have to say I find the 777 in its latest incarnation v1.6 to be less quirky than before and rather pleasant. What I am trying desperately (in vain) to find is a simplified procedures doc for it so I don't have to trawl through the Pilot Operations guide, or try to write stuff down from a video.

Alright, any recommendation for jet aircraft (Similar to PMDG) except military other than the above 3?

As Alexander pointed out, the CRJ-200 from JRollon is very good.  If you are used to PMDG, start with the 757 and then the 727.  The 727 will give you a handful, and the package is super.  It has a quick start mode, so you don't have to go through cold and dark if you don't want to.  Bringing that 727 from Cold and Dark to flight ready is quite involved given that it is a classic with a crew of three!  

@Dave, I have not looked at the 777 1.6 may be later.  PMDG gives me the time compression feature, which I appreciate.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I have install the NOAA Weather plugin. However, I need help in configuration of the plugin. I have turned on "Switch to Metar" and proceed to fill in the box below with "90" (9000ft) to begin the switch once below the value. However, do I still need to turn on real weather download in xplane itself?

Thank You

That's all you have to do.  NOAA plug in works independent of XPX weather.  However, I always enable XPX real weather download so I don't notice.  Make sure that you get the NOAA plug-in from the xplane.org and follow the instruction to have it updated automatically.  NOAA plugin can have bizarre effect when XPX is upgraded by Laminar.

Vu Pham