Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Feature Request: Cloud Shadows

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if a) you're looking to extend FSX functionality or b) it's possible within the scope of fixer code, but I thought I'd throw this out just in case...

Can fixer be used to add cloud shadows to the ground and/or cloud shadowing in the VC?

It would be cool and to the immersion to have the VC go a bit darker and shadows fade when flying behind a cloud! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Brian

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I was searching for something yesterday, and read somewhere that the ACES team had planned for cloud shadowing in FSX but dropped it before release. Maybe some hidden code in there somewhere?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

What I don't understand  is why clouds cast shadows on water and not land?

Rob Prest

Don't they just reflect on water, rather than casting shadows?

Don't they just reflect on water, rather than casting shadows?

good point mate :)

Rob Prest

Can fixer be used to add cloud shadows to the ground and/or cloud shadowing in the VC?

Hello Steve, any chance for this improvement within DX10fixer in the future?

Wulf

dandimm, thanks for sharing that info.  I wasn't aware that cloud shadows were to be included in FSX at some point. 

Alexander Alonso

I wasn't aware that cloud shadows were to be included in FSX at some point. 

I think this is why Prepar3D v2.2 was able to release it's latest version with cloud shadows so quickly.  I would imagine the base code was already there and just needed some refinements and a menu option to turn it back on. 

http://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/

Now this would be a very nice feature. I would pay for this addition. B)