Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

Too short stop

Hey guys,

I always felt like my NGX stop too short after landing. now I've been in a cockpit landing in a 737 800 and also confirmed it with this video:

I've set the exact numbers and tried to land at the very beginning of the runway, but for some reason I stopped way earlier then he did. does anyone know why? any Idea? I've heard something about sim1.dll in the past and I recall trying it, but also recall changing it back to normal. any help appreciated!! cheers.

does anyone know why? any Idea?

Did you have the exact same weight?

Did you have the exact same wind?

Did you land at the exact same spot?

Did you use the exact same autobrake setting?

Did you use manual braking?

Did you use reverse thrust at the same time?

Did you use the same level of reverse?

Did you use your spoilers?

...see where I'm going with this?

The tech team vetted the aircraft.  The performance data came from Boeing.  Heck, even a high school science teacher would point out the glaring flaws with your "scientific method."  Comparing your stopping distance to some other random person, with both of you manually manipulating the controls means there are too many variables in this situation.  I know you said you "set the same numbers" but I highly doubt that.

Kyle Rodgers

I've set the exact numbers and tried to land at the very beginning of the runway, but for some reason I stopped way earlier then he did

I'm guessing you stopped in about 1500m there, assuming the scenery is accurate, it didn't seem a particularly short roll out anyhow. The book says you should have stopped in 1600m for the wind and weight and the book is conservative so your landing looks very realistic. I don't see a specific issue with your landing from what you have shown us. Pretty nice approach and land TBH :)

Ok, well i am going to go against many others here but I feel the stopping distances are wrong in the sim, especially with the 777.  I have noticed this with other products as well.  

A reg fsuipc has a very good function to correct this. By default it only affects the ground roll below 30kts (so as not to change roll out/take off distances)  you can modify this file to change the whole groundroll friction effect.

Personally I wouldn't recommend people messing around with the numbers unless they know what they are doing.  

I created a modified file using stopping distances taken from multiple RTO's on a 777 sim at various weights and AB settings (All dry rwy)   Also did the same for a A320 product a few years back.

Bottom line is I think PMDG are using the correct figures from Boeing, however I don't believe it translates into FSX correctly.

Regards

Rob Prest

I'm guessing you stopped in about 1500m there, assuming the scenery is accurate, it didn't seem a particularly short roll out anyhow. The book says you should have stopped in 1600m for the wind and weight and the book is conservative so your landing looks very realistic. I don't see a specific issue with your landing from what you have shown us.

This is not my video, I was just trying to demonstrate that I stopped much shorter then this guy In Madeira.

Did you have the exact same weight?

Did you have the exact same wind?

Did you land at the exact same spot?

Did you use the exact same autobrake setting?

Did you use manual braking?

Did you use reverse thrust at the same time?

Did you use the same level of reverse?

Did you use your spoilers?

...see where I'm going with this?

The tech team vetted the aircraft.  The performance data came from Boeing.  Heck, even a high school science teacher would point out the glaring flaws with your "scientific method."  Comparing your stopping distance to some other random person, with both of you manually manipulating the controls means there are too many variables in this situation.  I know you said you "set the same numbers" but I highly doubt that.

Yes Yes and Yes for all of your questions. cheers.

Are you using idle reverse? What's your Auto-Brake setting? I also noticed that my landing rollouts were short also even though I use the Sim1.dll so what I did was modify the Airplanes CFG by changing the Toe..brakes..scale=1.0 to 0.5 like so;

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale=0.5
parking_brake=1
auto_brakes=0

This allows me to be a little easier on the brakes just like I do in real life.

I hope this helps

Reik Namreg

This is not my video, I was just trying to demonstrate that I stopped much shorter then this guy In Madeira.

Ah OK, well if it ain't your video, you said you landed at the beginning of the runway, if you really did mean the begining as opposed to 300-400m where it is normal to touchdown that would could be up to 600m difference. Could you clarify that?

Ah OK, well if it ain't your video, you said you landed at the beginning of the runway, if you really did mean the begining as opposed to 300-400m where it is normal to touchdown that would could be up to 600m difference. Could you clarify that?

I landed 2 reds to whites, without flaring much, just like he did. cheers.