Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

LOD performance...FSX. Interesting comparison...

I'm just now paused in a flight between CYYB (North Bay, Ontario,Canada) and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan, USA, inside the cockpit of my now favorite VFR sled...the Cessna SkyMaster 377 put out by Carenado. (modified by adding a turbo to the engine...beautiful....)

I'm following the coast of Lake Huron, northwest and will take this flight at around 1,800 just off the coastline for some good FSX-G VFR'ing. There is so much detail that is missed when flying at higher altitudes.  Especially if you want to hug coastlines in FSX/FSXG/UTX USA/Canada

I had normally always tried to use FSX at a LOD setting of 6.5, but since having moved exclusively to FSX/DX10...I found, or thought, that of all the funniest things, the view was now too clear and defined out to the point of the horizon.

So....I paused the flight, and proceeded to bring up R.W. aerial shots of North Bay (Tourism sites, etc), and then after viewing, found that a LOD of 5.5 very much mimicked  the R.W. shots from the same viewpoint.

I found out that you can actually drop down (in DX10/Steve's DX10 Fixer) to a lower LOD (better yet, can you avoid O.O.M's!), and have FSX pump out virtual renditions of R.W. goodness as per aerial photographs.

Since moving to DX10, (and how quickly can that become your 'norm'....) with everything that you can, turned on in the sim (except ground traffic at airports...nah...) in force,...has the world never before been such a mimicry of the 'real deal'.

I mean...having plane shadows (in cockpit as well as full fuselage), is never more pronounced today, in the bright sunshine, with clouds keeping to themselves at around 10,000 ft. There is a wind element, driving the waves shore ward  with some good white-cap activity...and I have to say...has FSX, never been better, or as close to depiction of the R.W, than how it is set up to date.

Just one word describes the moment;

Wow.....!  Back to the flight to Pictured Rocks. I want to see if they are depicted (the cliffs and their colors....)  Where ever you also fly today...have fun doing it!  Less tweaking...and MORE FLYING!

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore:  http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

Cheers,

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

I too am DX10 and loving it. I am still waiting for P3D to level out and get a few things fixed. The last release was a step back IMO (Who said that? I did not put that comment here)

The new ORBX lighting config tool was a huge plus.

Bob

Btw, fixer 2.2 just released

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Btw, fixer 2.2 just released

I am thinking about buying it. I am doing everything the hard way. It appears to do a good job. What is offered in this new 2.2 release?

Bob

Here you go Bob.

Version 2.2 should now be available for download.

Changes are:

1. Revised GUI

2. New improved effects dialog

3. Fix for false shadows sometimes seen with Toned Shadows

4. Tweaks to default settings

In the GUI the general dialog has been split into three (Shadows, Bloom, Other) and various little used options (shader tick boxes) have been moved into a new Debug dialog.

The Effects/Lights button and menu options have been combined into a single new Dialog.

Note - if you see any oddities with the image sizes at the top of the new screens please drop me an email.

I am thinking about buying it.

As Mitch posted, it does transform FSX, I flew from KSFO to OMDB in the PMDG T7, a 16 hour flight, and no OOM. And the atmospherics are so different from DX9. I am sure you would not be disappointed.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Here you go Bob.

Version 2.2 should now be available for download.

Changes are:

1. Revised GUI

2. New improved effects dialog

3. Fix for false shadows sometimes seen with Toned Shadows

4. Tweaks to default settings

In the GUI the general dialog has been split into three (Shadows, Bloom, Other) and various little used options (shader tick boxes) have been moved into a new Debug dialog.

The Effects/Lights button and menu options have been combined into a single new Dialog.

Note - if you see any oddities with the image sizes at the top of the new screens please drop me an email.

Hi, you could have just sent me to the site. Thanks for your time with this. I am not sure what it all means but I guess I need to hang out some on the forum.

Bob

Hi, you could have just sent me to the site

It is right here @Avsim  http://forum.avsim.net/forum/644-the-official-dx10-scenery-fixer-support-forum/

Geez, I must sound like an idiot. Thanks for your help. I just did not want you to go to a lot of trouble as I could have found it. You make me lazy!

Bob

No problem at all Bob. The change log i posted is more comprehensive anyway.

Hey Mitch,

I too am DX10 and loving it. I am still waiting for P3D to level out and get a few things fixed. The last release was a step back IMO (Who said that? I did not put that comment here)

The new ORBX lighting config tool was a huge plus.

Bob

Hey, Bob!

I intend to check out P3D...I REALLY want to wait for a 64 bit edition, but have purchased a new  10,000 rpm Velociraptor 1TB yesterdy, so have a ton of system storage topped up.  I am not abandoning FSX at the slightest...for everything I paid for, works..and works very well in DX10 (Steve's Fixer in play...always!)   But, I am most curious...perhaps $60.00 'curious'...lol.  I want to see for myself, what all the hoopla is in flying P3D vs. a well-tuned DX10'd FSX.  I might bite the bullet and load it up on its own Velo.  :)   We'll see...I'm fighting the urge...but have been known to slip up, here and there......(wink).  The biggest draw for me to jump in...and play around...is that all my ORBX purchases can be added to it...via the 3 tier installer. That and the SkyMaster can be ported over as well.  Still thinking about it...but do not have my finger on the trigger as I type...lol.

Cheers!

I am thinking about buying it. I am doing everything the hard way. It appears to do a good job. What is offered in this new 2.2 release?

Bob

Bob....if you are NOT running DX10 with Steve's Fixer...than honestly, you are not SEEING anything that DX10 can dish out...when it is fixed and runs like it was actually finished by M.S.

Hey, Bob!

I intend to check out P3D...I REALLY want to wait for a 64 bit edition, but have purchased a new  10,000 rpm Velociraptor 1TB yesterdy, so have a ton of system storage topped up.  I am not abandoning FSX at the slightest...for everything I paid for, works..and works very well in DX10 (Steve's Fixer in play...always!)   But, I am most curious...perhaps $60.00 'curious'...lol.  I want to see for myself, what all the hoopla is in flying P3D vs. a well-tuned DX10'd FSX.  I might bite the bullet and load it up on its own Velo.  :)   We'll see...I'm fighting the urge...but have been known to slip up, here and there......(wink).  The biggest draw for me to jump in...and play around...is that all my ORBX purchases can be added to it...via the 3 tier installer. That and the SkyMaster can be ported over as well.  Still thinking about it...but do not have my finger on the trigger as I type...lol.

Cheers!

Bob....if you are NOT running DX10 with Steve's Fixer...than honestly, you are not SEEING anything that DX10 can dish out...when it is fixed and runs like it was actually finished by M.S.

Hey Mitch, keep in touch once you have a chance to check out p3d. The 1st thing you will notice, at least for me, was the clarity/crispness of the outside world as well as the VC. Of course there is much more to check out, but that was what grabbed me initially. Once you dive in and have a chance to do some comparison, please post back on this thread when you get a chance. 

Bob

Hey Mitch, keep in touch once you have a chance to check out p3d. The 1st thing you will notice, at least for me, was the clarity/crispness of the outside world as well as the VC. Of course there is much more to check out, but that was what grabbed me initially. Once you dive in and have a chance to do some comparison, please post back on this thread when you get a chance. 

Bob

Yes, I'll certainly give you my true impressions, yea or nay.  I'm going to do what everybody has suggested....run and install a 'vanilla' edition. Fire it up...see if it runs...play with settings with no additions....GTX680...blah, blah...

Then will add in all my ORBX via the triple installers.  Will have to download them all again...(what a PAIN!)...blah, blah....and go from there.  Bob...I am curious, but others have made their argument...that I might be sitting on the cliff hang for quite some time, waiting for my 'buy in' 64 bit kernel.  So....it is....what it....is.....   The one thing I do absolutely appreciate...and will wish to support...is that, at this time, SOMEONE is still being our advocate out there in flight simulation land....LM.  I want to add my voice in thank you.  

Side note:  My wife...has stated that this HAD BETTER not be a ramp up 'need' to go out and grab as she put it;  "...another video card...".  Uh oh.......

This latest version somehow messed with the AA and I just cannot force myself to like it. You will not be able to do much if anything with NI to override or enhance the graphics. I tried and could not get any added AA, so LM is doing all of this and apparently we are locked out unless I am missing something. If you can find a way Mitch, then I would be very grateful for the answer. I tried every combination of settings possible  and could not improve the AA. I am running an i7 2600k @4.8ghz with 8g 1600 ddr3 with a 760 4gig card. Not a bad system. Nothing out there now cpu wize that is worth the gain/investment IMO. Another year I think and I will invest in the next big hardware thing.

Bob