Sign in to follow this  
mike2060

Flickering/Shimmering Shadows

Does anyone get trees and buildings casting shadows that seem to shimmer or flicker? Pretty much anything small that casts a shadow. The shadows just don't look static. Cloud shadows don't exhibit this. I am thinking maybe it is just in need of some antialiasing. I am not using NV Inspector, just the in game options. I just want to make sure it isn't something with my system (I just bought P3Dv2 the other day). I have all the shadow options checked.

Thanks,

MikeD

Maybe experiment with the P3D in sim settings for FXAA and MSAA...   I use FXAA off and MSAA 4...  MSAA 8 is even better for shimmering.

I had major issues with some of the more recent nVidia drivers - but the latest beta driver is fine. Check that if you haven't already.

I had major issues with some of the more recent nVidia drivers - but the latest beta driver is fine. Check that if you haven't already.

Thanks but I have the latest drivers. So if you turn on autogen shadows they look perfectly normal while flying?

Maybe experiment with the P3D in sim settings for FXAA and MSAA...   I use FXAA off and MSAA 4...  MSAA 8 is even better for shimmering.

I believe I had FXAA on along with MSAA (I just cranked everything up) so I will try it with just MSAA.

How far you stretch out cloud shadows will also have an effect. Turn cloud shadows off to test (if you haven't already). Sorry I don't have P3D installed at this moment in time.

I went back to test again and it seems sometimes the shadows are fine but other times they seem to be flickering/shimmering around the edges and just moving my viewpoint can cause them to look normal again. I also found that if I press Y to slew the aircraft, the problem goes away.