Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Can I send my 737 panel.cfg to another person?

Actually... I'm pretty sure it did work.

Of course, we can't see the sales numbers, PMDG being a privately owned company and all that. However, I do feel that sales numbers would be drastically lower if they (or any other developer, for that matter) just put their add-ons for sale without copy protection. In essence, all you'd need is one dumb@$$ pirate putting the thing online, and you'd see the number of people downloading it illegally exponentially increase.

What they are doing now, is buying time. Nothing is, or will ever be, hack proof. However, the longer you make the period for hackers to crack it, the more "potential pirates" will just buy the add-on, because they want to use it, and don't want to wait any longer for it to be cracked.

What I mean by "potential pirates" is this: People who don't have an extensive knowledge of computers, but are smart enough to download and install a working torrent. This is not the kind of person who is able to crack a copy protection algorithm or anyone even closely resembling that. Those people will always exist, and will always try to crack "uncrackable" add ons.

Because I wont breach any copyright. No excuse for pirating , none whatsover.

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I didn't know if I could hence seeking advise from more learned people if you don't know if something's right it's best to seek advise not just go ahead and go it ! :-)

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

What they are doing now, is buying time. Nothing is, or will ever be, hack proof. However, the longer you make the period for hackers to crack it, the more "potential pirates" will just buy the add-on, because they want to use it, and don't want to wait any longer for it to be cracked.

and I suspect the now much delayed release of SP1 is due to the fact that after 6 months the pirates can now circumvent 90% of the copy protection in the T7 (except the fuel leak) and also get it to run in P3D as well. Of course we paying customers suffer but that is the reality of the internet nowadays.

Francis Leung

I think you misunderstood me, Francis.

My statement about buying time concerns the use of anti piracy measures, not the development time they put into it.

The development time is what it is, it will always take "some time" to get somewhere, be it small fixes or complete overhauls.

By implementing decent anti piracy measures, PMDG "buys time". What I mean by that is that those "potential pirates" I mentioned in an earlier post will get tired of waiting and will just buy the add-on. By doing this, they can get some extra revenue. If the add-on were cracked on day 1, I'm willing to bet revenue would be a LOT lower.

Once again, by "potential pirates", I mean the so called leachers. People who don't have the skill set themselves to hack or crack software.

Also, I would like to know.... Exactly in what way do you suffer? Who claimed the so called "delay" (Hint: there is NO delay, work goes on.) is there to stop piracy?

Kriva, SP1 has been in Beta for over 1 month and we have been "teased" by the photos and videos from the Beta team. If the delay is caused by the late addition of new anti-piracy measures, I'd consider that a suffering. Yes I sounds like a kid who cannot get the toy inside the shop window  :P Aren't we all big kids playing this game, unless you are a real line pilot IRL. As such, it implies that I work in a totally unrelated field for a living.

Francis

There's a lot more to it than just anti piracy stuff, Francis.

Check out the official bug tracking thread, and you'll see why the beta takes as long as it takes.

As long as you don't include any of the copyrighted files with the .cfg then it would be fine.   

Kind regards

Werner

All the PDMG files are copyrighted, unless it explicitly says so.

if my friend got original ngx by paying it's price, i would send the file anyway. i paid, he paid, so exchanging files doesn't make us pirates. that's what i think.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Come on, what copyright? Fully working PMDG 737NGX package is available on torrents since the first week it was relased, come on people. And now even 777, even though it has security protection with online activation etc.

I don't like software pirates, I hate when someone's work is being stolen and uploaded on torrent websites, but let's get realistic, what harm could possibly be done by sending a .cfg file?

Also, this online activation, protection stuff is just making life harder for legit and loyal customers. Piracy is same old as the internet itself, there were pirates 20 years ago, and there will be pirates 20 years up from now. All PMDG did with their new protection system, is they kept pirates from cracking the B777 for whole 3 months, now anyone who doesn't want to open their wallet can go and just take it from the torrent - It didnt work.

Why did the term pirate come to software anyway I mean I doubt there is a guy behind a computer station with a parrot on his shoulder just waiting to broadside some software code with his virtual cannons

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.